Basal AND novel?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sue35, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 10, 2008

Does anyone do the basal reader and a novel at the same time? We are going to be starting Frindle but I am expecting to still teach out of the basal. I am doing Frindle in groups so I thought some days I would do the basal and sometimes do groups and centers.

Would reading the story in the basal and reading a novel get confusing for them?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

I'm not 5th, but our entire district does Guided Reading. We use guided reading sets instead of basals. Some of us do still have basals that we use sometimes. I use mine as Monday Reading Homework. Every Monday they bring a basal on their level home and read the assigned story. They then have to write a response in their 3-ring binder. Since my class has only been doing this for the last 2 weeks, I give them a response sheet that helps them with their response (think graphic organizers). My goal is to gradually make the responses harder throughout the year, working our way to the 3rd grade benchmark example.

Most kids can handle 2 different stories at a time. You may find that some struggle. Keeping a reader's journal might help to keep the stories straight.

4. km51571

km51571 Companion

Nov 10, 2008

I teach 5th and my kids typically have 3 stories going at once. My assistant does a read aloud about 10 minutes a day for a couple weeks (Joey Pigza series). This is above their independent level but they really enjoy the series and it allows them to earn many AR points at once! We also start a new story from the basal every Monday. My four small groups read a short story (15 pages or so) on their level Tuesday-Thursday. Also, they read independently (a book of their choice) for 20 minutes during my reading block (90-120minutes).

The students handle the variety of stories well. Any more questions let me know.

5. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Nov 11, 2008

We do both the basal and guided reading group at least as low as 2nd grade.