Barnes & Noble

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 16, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

This is not going to be news to most of you, but just so you know B & N has a pretty good looking clearance table these days. Books for $5 or $2. I think this might be more helpful for the elementary teachers, but I've gotten some steals for books to use in conjunction with units I teach or for read-alouds.

I'm not sure what Borders is up to these days, but it's always worth a second to pop into B&N and browse that clearance table. You never know what you might find.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I will have to check it out, thanks for the tip, I avoid B&N because I will drop my entire paycheck if I could!

Next questions, wy are we still awake, I know you are three hours beind me, but at 3 am we are both up past normal bedtimes!

4. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Lol. Because we are teachers that care! This discussion board is addictive. And since I'm going to be a 1st year teacher I'm playing "sponge" where I try and absorb as much advice as I can from everyone else.

Don't worry, I've been on this thing until like 5 or 6 am sometimes.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

That is a problem so have I! I am starting my second year teaching, and the first year I have set up my own classroom, so I am exactly where you are. Last year I took over for a LTS (non certified btw) in November, and well, I spent all my time dealing with the (as the principal called it) the s***storm I walked into. NO classroom discipline, in reality the students thought if they intimidated me enough I would even change lesson plans so they didn't have to do work. By the end of the year, I had them chanting what does Mrs Wall never do? "Change lesson plans" LOL

6. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Ha thats great. Isn't it funny when they think that if you get off topic one day for about 20 minutes...you'll be stupid enough to let it happen again and again? My kids only take a few days to know over and over and over again their name, date, and period goes on the top of their paper or else I won't even bother grading it.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Hahahaha, you should have heard the kids in my 6th hour last year, they would tell me the assignemtn was stupid boring etc, but about 3 weeks after I got there, I would start my speal and there would be students in the class "stop it guys you can see she ain't playing!" The next favorite thing for that class was to take out a stack of referral slips to the office and say I would write every single one of them up until there was one student left, because that student would be getting an education, again they believed me, and the she ain't playing line would come out again. HEHEHE. I didn't even correct the ain't grammer issue, they listened. I got respect from those kids by the end of the year, kids I thought were never going to try pulled it out at the last minute and passed my class, because they knew I cared.

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

wait...run this "referral slip" thing by me again. Not sure I totally got what you were saying

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

We had slips at the high school (I am at a middle school this year) that we would write the kids up with, they would then go to the office and write a responsible thinking plan (RTP) they would discuss the plan with the RTP teacher (or principal) and get it approved, why did you do this worng, what are you going to do different, how can the teacher help you, etc. Then the student would come and negotiate the plan with me. We try to work out the issue so the behavior problem does not repeat itself. Sometimes I would move the student at their request, once I gave a student with a short temper a chance to walk out of the room unnanounced to collect herself. The point of the plan is to solve the problems permanelty so the child is in class. However "frequent flyers" or ones that written up frequently get suspended after three write ups.....and it escalates if the write up are more frequent than that.

Does that explain for you? Ask if you hve more questions

10. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Yeah it does. Now here's the next question...this plan that you discuss...when did you discuss it with them? After class?

And didn't your Asst. Prinp. get annoyed (not with you) but with so many kids coming in? I would think that started to become micro managing on their part and almost like they had better things to do than conference with behavioral problems all day long.

Though I do like the fact that frequent fliers had elevated consequences.

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

No, see I only had to send out about 5 students and only that many once. Everyone else saw that I was serious and stopped the behavioir. I also had termendous support by my principal, he totally believed in RTP and he saw it as his job to reveiew the plans. With some of the students that I wrote plans on I only had to do it once, the entire year. Others about once every 4-6 weeks, so it really wasn't that bad. Yes you confrence before/after school, but my planning period was actually after school so I was there for an hour anyway. While negotiating the plan if you are doing it right you are building a relationship with the student, so not only are you coming up with a plan to not have the problem anymore the student sees you as an ally not an enemy, which reduces their desire to disrupt class. (Unless you have a frequent flyer....they are a different case, some of them just liked trouble, got into trouble to avoid issues like not being able to read, or were in school because of a court order and made trouble because they knew they couldn't be expelled, yes I had one of those)

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

oy tough crowd. Yeah every school is different about behavior mgmt...I'll have to see what the guideline are at mine.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Borders has a bunch of kids/YA books 3 for 2 or buy 3 get 2 free. If you use the sale, you can't use your teacher discount (but it does count toward your Borders Rewards.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Can I assume that everyone has their Barnes and Noble discount card?? If you spend a lot there, as we all do, it's SOOOOO worth the investment!

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Umm, no I don't have it. I cannot seem to part with that extra $25 to get it. Yep, Im cheap

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I do it on a day when I'm buying a LOT. That way the initial discount takes away some of that bite :)

17. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I just showed my teacher card from my county. I went around and around with Barnes and Noble. I had already bought most of my books and they wouldn't give me any discount at all without proof that I was a teacher. Whereas Borders took my word for it and gave me a card. B&N wanted to see something, even if it was my contract! I went yesterday and just bought one book but it was still a 25% discount. It was nice..

18. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I'm usually not that impressed with my B&N. Their children's book selection is not as big as Border's. I'm a Borders girl :)

19. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Hehe, I was just at B&N the other day and found some wonderfull puzzle books for my HS class. One was large print - perfect size for making worksheets! Two dollars! (I did get one book that was not reduced...)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

Individual Borderses and Barnes & Nobles are surprisingly variable.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I was at B & N yesterday, I too am cheap and won't pay for the membership. This store had an educator's discount. I needed a copy of my paystub to get the discount. That had never been offered to me before.

22. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

This is lame...they should only need to request an ID...this paystub junk is crap!