Barefoot Bandit

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kcjo13, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2010

Has anyone been following this kid?

From the AP:

Harris-Moore has been dubbed "The Barefoot Bandit" after allegedly committing crimes sans footwear.

The Camano Island, Wash., teen has evaded authorities since escaping from a halfway house in April 2008. He's believed to have stolen boats, cars, even several small airplanes that have been hot-wired and crash-landed.

Much to the chagrin of law enforcement, a Harris-Moore fan club boasts more than 42,000 followers on Facebook.

I had heard of him, but now he was apparently in Nebraska, which is about as exciting as it gets here :lol:. AND-I found out from a lady I golf with that he had broken in to her cousin's house in Yankton, SD! They came home and found him there-NAKED-apparently he was doing his laundry in their house. But he escaped again.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2010

I haven't exactly been following, but I have heard a bit about him.

It's going to stop being so incredibly funny when he gets caught. He's something like 16 or 17-- is this his career plan???Does he see himself doing this until he hits retirement, and then collecting Social Security??

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

He has some pretty impressive escape capabilities to be caught naked and still flee successfully.

Realistically, though, his plan for his life should start with turning himself in. The punishment probably won't be quite as severe as he thinks (though apparently he's stolen some big-ticket items), and if he's caught it will be worse. His fan club isn't really doing him any favors by encouraging his behavior.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

I had never heard of him until recently when he paid us in South Dakota a visit, breaking into airports, stealing cars, and inviting himself into the home (a really nice home!) of people who were on vacation. He hit three towns on his trek across the state, and then left his calling card next door in Nebraska. I haven't heard any updates this week, though. Anyone know where he has turned up lately? :)

6. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

He may need to change his name from the "Barefoot Bandit" to the "Bare-something else Bandit"!! :D :eek:

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

:lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

"Bare six-inches Bandit" doesn't sound nearly as good!

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 1, 2010

I believe he only breaks into the nice homes.

The favorite escape I read about him was when he stole like a Ferrari or something. He was driving on the highway being chased by police and FBI. He was about to be caught, so he crashed the car into some gas tanks and ran into the nearby woods. He then evaded capture by distracting them with an explosion.

9. KDS

KDS Companion

Jul 1, 2010

People have found him naked...and then he left a 'calling card'...i am afraid to know what that is

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2010

He should steal some shoes.

11. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

His calling card is a chalk outline of his feet.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2010

Apparently, he ran back in, while the cousin of my friend ran out, obviously scared because there was a naked man in his house. He grabbed his clothes and ran.

I didn't mean to imply that I think it is funny what he is doing. I do find it outrageous that in 2010 someone can actually get away with the things he has for 2 years.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 2, 2010

He was told by one of his friends he met in the halfway house some survival skills, along with things he learned.

He also stole thermal imaging goggles at one point (or was it night vision)

14. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

I hope that every dime he makes goes to his victims.

I can't imagine ever feeling safe again in my own home after someone had broken in and touched all my stuff.

It's not that I have much that's valuable. But home is where you're safe from the bad guys. That feeling of having been violated would be hard to erase.

17. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

True. The movie "Catch Me If You Can" is similar to the potential movie of the Barefoot Bandit. Frank Abagnale did his spree between 1965 and 1969. A book was written in 1980. And the movie is loosely based on Frank. He paid his debt to society by being in prison for 12 years.

However, I don't think Hollywood was discussing a possible movie about Frank's life while he was being chased by the police all over the world. My problem about the situation is the barefoot bandit could make money off this movie. He already has a fan club on facebook.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

19. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

Whoever bought the rights to the movie has stated that when he gets caught, they will pay for a lawyer to defend him.

So he won't get the maximum sentence, but he'll get a bit of time.

Some have equated him to Robin Hood, as the place where he started his spree is essentially a place full of rich people and he never robbed from the poor.

Now he's engaged in some... interesting hijinks since he started

20. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

21. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jul 12, 2010

I read about him for the first time yesteraday on yahoo. I can't believe his mother! :help: She was reported saying that she wished he would have gone to a country that did not have an extradition treaty with the U.S. so he could not be brought back to face the charges! She should be medically evaluated. :dizzy:

22. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

If you read more about his story, you'll find his mother is actually PROUD of him :dizzy: She is proud of his resourcefulness??!! As she states, he had such a trouble life when he was young everyone should be proud of his intellegence (ability to fly planes, plan heists, evade police) and his resourcefulness??!!

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 12, 2010

He is pretty **** resourceful. He flew multiple planes without any flight training, only by reading the manuals and playing flight simulators (which are incredibly realistic)

He DID fly a plane 1000 miles before crash landing. Have to give him props for that.

But the mother is pretty much the whole reason he is a criminal.

Colton A. Harris-Moore grew up in his mother's house in Camano Island, Washington. Neighbors said they made several calls to Child Protective Services, believing Colton was neglected or abused. His father Gordon Moore used drugs and was imprisoned while Colton was a toddler. When Colton was about two years old, his abusive father walked out after attempting to choke him during an argument at a family barbecue. According to his mother, Pam Kohler, his stepfather died when he was about seven years old, and from the time Colton was in the first grade, she knew there was "something off about him" – "sort of a disconnection". He wouldn't listen to his teachers, started altercations at school, and would sometimes deliberately break things around the house, Kohler said. According to a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, Harris-Moore said that his mother drank and became mean, breaking his possessions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris-Moore

Basically his mother is an abusive alcoholic.

24. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 12, 2010

I'm sorry, but I can't give anyone props for being a criminal.