Balancing Daily 5, CAFE, and Basals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I am STILL struggling to figure out how to take 90 min. and set up Daily 5 so that I can work with small groups and individuals using the CAFE strategies while also teaching with a basal. I am going to be required to do a certain amount of work in the reading book, especially writing in response to stories as we practice various reading strategies.

Can anyone suggest a good teacher's website or blog who teaches reading like this? I just can't quite wrap my brain around how to get away from so much whole group teaching. Thanks again for any suggestions.

3. mlevs

mlevs New Member

Jul 16, 2012

Did you ever try breaking up your block into a few 45 or 30 min blocks during the day? The kids get a break and you are better able to fit it all in without it all falling apart (a big part of the daily 5)

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

I teach the CAFE during mini lessons and basel during small group. CAFE is not the only thing I do for mini lessons. they are also phonics lessons, modeling my writing, spelling, handwriting, etc.

I typically teach 3 small groups per day Monday thru Thursday.
    The rest of Daily I am meeting with students or observing.
    Friday I do lots of meeting with students and logging.
    I also have the Title 1 teacher with a small group each day.
    I also have a volunteer 'grandma' who checks in with students daily on CAFE.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2012

Once you find your groove, it will balance.

6. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I'm interested in hearing advice on this as well.

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Since third grade has to take state assessments, I am worried about fitting in all of the aspects of practicing the skills needed for those. It's just trying to find the balance between teaching the kids to actually read and then teaching them to "perform" with those skills!

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I've struggled with this same question for years with my students. We have 90 minutes for reading and writing, so it's definitely hard to fit everything in.

This has been my solution:
    I really use the CAFE strategies with my read aloud and mini lessons. Students work on the CAFE strategies while reading to self and in small groups.

I use the Basal during listening to reading and sometimes read to someone. Some of my mini lessons will use the Basal story or skill and some of my small group lessons will focus on the skill taught in the Basal as well.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Mopar,
    Do you still do the CAFE board and keep the notebook on all of your kids, scheduling conferences and such?

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

I do have a CAFE board, but it isn't posted in the classroom. Each student has a binder with the board. Then we highlight the skills that they have been taught in yellow and the skills that they have worked on in green.

I do schedule conferences with the students because this is my favorite way to meet with my students. I love the few minutes to just chit chat.

I work conferences in really easily. I have my group meet me at the table. While they are getting ready with the task, I meet with a student for a quick 1-2 minute conference. I usually finish my group a few minutes before switching time and I throw in another 1-2 conferences at this time (I may even conference with one of the students that was working in my group).

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

My students do keep individual goals that we talk about before I dismiss them from meeting with me in small groups. Students take this opportunity to change or update me on their goals. If I don't do it after small group, I tend to forget about them.

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Regarding the use of the basal, I'm thinking of making it my focus on Monday/Tuesday and then Wednesday-Friday, I can really implement the components of the Daily 5.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

Mopar...sounds like you have an excellent system already.

Eiffell...I know a teacher that did something similar and it worked wonderful for him.