balancing basals & lit. circles

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2Teach_is_2Care, May 8, 2007.

1. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

May 8, 2007

Hi all. With the school year coming to an end :)D ), I've been thinking about next year (yes I like to start thinking ahead) and my reading class. I've put in to teach 5th grade reading, and will not be teaching special ed anymore. I was wondering how and if you balance using the basal and literature circles to teach the reading curriculum.
    From what I have researched, most teachers have about 90 minutes (on average) to do a reading workshop. I, unfortunately, will only have 45 minutes for each class period (6 total). One teacher who previously taught reading (years ago), in my school said that she used the basal 4 days a week, M-Th, and had literature circles on Fridays. Her students would discuss what pages to read for the upcoming week, and keep a reading log, so they could be ready for discussion.
    Her plan sounds great, but I'm worried that I won't have enough time for the basal items. Our school district prefers the basal, but they do support the balance of the two, with the basal as the main source of teaching skills. What is your input and or suggestions?

3. mhirsch

mhirsch Companion

May 10, 2007

I do Open Court and fit in literature circles during Independent Work Time. I am able to meet with one or two groups each day in a 20 minute block (I'm working with 2nd graders). I have 4-5 groups in my class of 20 so I don't get to everyone everyday but do get to everyone once or twice a week.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 12, 2007

I move back and forth between the basal and novel studies. When reading novels the kids work in literature circles. I'd like to try lit. circles with the stories in the text to open the year so that the kids get a feal for the jobs in lit. circle groups, maybe once a week.