Balanced Literacy TEacher

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by wanateach, May 30, 2007.

1. wanateach

wanateach Companion

May 30, 2007

Does anyone know what this teacher is or does, there is an opening for 2 jobs nearby, but I don't know what a job description would be for this teacher, the certificates they want are elementary and early childhood, which I have both-but I don't understand what I would be doing, I know this doesn't so much fit with the special ed category, but thought you guys could help me, thanks. Lori:confused:

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 30, 2007

The balanced literacy teachers whom I have worked with in the past worked with students who were reading below grade level. They all did pull out.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2007

Yep. Lori, I think this would be a great opportunity for you. You could work with small groups and focus on one area which is actually quite nice when you think about it.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2007

If it's what's Proud2BATeacher says, they are the same as a reading recovery teacher. That's what they're called in my area. That shouldn't be bad at all. I'd like to do it. I used to be the reagular sub for a reading recovery teacher & it was easy. The only negative thing I've heard about that type of teacher is that the burnout rate is high since this type of teacher's focus is just reading.

6. eph612

eph612 New Member

Jun 12, 2007

Balanced Literacy is actually an approach to reading that incorporates all methods that can best be utilized to help students acquire reading skills. Calling a job a Balanced Literacy position seems a bit odd to me. States are very different. I currently teach in Florida but am moving to Illinois and know I will have to adapt to some new terminololgy. I am currently working on a reading endorsement, but it doesn't have a specific title. I did notice in Illinois when I interviewed they were looking for lead literacy teachers, which are called reading coaches in Florida. The best bet is to ask what the job entails and what certificatin they are looking for. good luck

7. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

It's the catch pharse in education now-- do you know the aspects of a Balanced Literacy program? Do you use them? Yadda, yadda, So if you google it- you will find that it is similar to Reading Recovery (and if I remember correctly Reading Recovery originated from New Zealand- So Balanced Literacy is the American catch all phrase ;) ;) )

Anyway, hold the philosophy that Balanced Literacy is the best approach to reading, writing, aquiring literacy skills, implement it, get students to succeed and you are a Balanced Literacy teacher, capable of filling a Balanced Literacy Position. Oh, I guess it helps if you actually have formal training in Balanced Literacy-- which I think is expensive for an individual to pay for-- so in the best interst of your teaching career-- if you can get a district you work for to pay for it-- do it. In 5-10 yrs it will be called something else-- or something new will come along-- get training for that too, I mean if it doesn't work out at least you'll always have Balanced Literacy to fall back on ; ) Just grab on to the pendulum and swing-- it's actually kind of fun-- just giggle and enjoy the ride.

Good luck- and may the best Balanced Literacy teacher win!