Balanced Calendar

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MJH, Jun 10, 2011.

1. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 10, 2011

My district if considering the balanced calendar approach for the 2012 - 2013 school year. While I love the idea I know they will only committ to it if there are benefits to the students. If any of you are on balanced calendar could you list the benefits for the students. I want to make sure I have a complete list before I begin e-mailing my board members.

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

What is the balance calendar? I googled it but I'm not sure if it's the same.

4. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 10, 2011

The students would attend school for 45 days and then have 10 - 15 days off before the start of the new grading period. They would have only 5 - 6 weeks off instead of the traditional 11-12 weeks.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 10, 2011

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
    :yeahthat:

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 10, 2011

So more of a year round approach. There are a few people here that do that. Hopefully they chime in. I wish I could remember who so I could PM them for you.

7. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 10, 2011

We have something similar in Chicago. We call it Track E school year. I don't work in a school with this calendar but some of my friends who work at schools with this calendar like it> The biggest advantage is that students don't stay out of school for such a long time in the summer and they remember more what the learned the year before.

The only controversy surrounding this calendar is that many schools are placed on this calendar when there is no AC. Classes under this calendar start the second week of August instead of the first week of September. We get very hot days in August so it's been really bad for those schools without air conditioning.