Baked goods from students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cupcakequeen, Dec 20, 2018.

1. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Dec 20, 2018

Does anyone else get an insane amount of baked goods as gifts from students around the holidays? Do you eat them, pawn them off on friends and family, or what? I always get tons of stuff for some reason, and if I'm being completely honest I rarely eat most of it. I truly appreciate the gesture, but I have a major sweet tooth (as my username would imply!) and I have to be kind of picky about what desserts I eat unless I want to be the size of a house. So stuff liked the overbaked cookies and rock hard fudge...might just get thrown out. At my house, of course. I'd never want a student to know I did that! I still feel a little guilty, though.

Today, though, I had a student bring me a box of cookies that she helped her mom make. The looked really good so I tried one and they were amazing. I'd rather not confess how many I've eaten during my planning period!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 20, 2018

Most of the time the kids bring in one container for all the teachers, so that helps.

4. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 20, 2018

For me it depends on which student brings it in. There are some that I know come from not the best homes and home baked goods would be questionable. Some of the parents I know outside of school and know the environment the stuff is baked in and that it would be good quality baked goods!

YoungTeacherGuy and czacza like this.
  5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2018

I don't eat anything homemade from anyone. Not just afraid of the cleanliness (that's major!),but I have severe food allergies and have to know all the ingredients.

czacza and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2018

I get some each year, and will usually eat them / share them with colleagues & family. If there's ever a time where I'm uncertain about my health, obviously I'll avoid it, but that's rare (I don't think it's come up for me).

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    stephenpe likes this.
  8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Dec 20, 2018

Chocolate, lollipops, and fruit is what I usually get.

otterpop likes this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 20, 2018

I don't get too many baked goods. The ones I have gotten have been delicious.

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Dec 21, 2018

So this post contains a teachable moment for you all, if you'd like to share (I share this information with my students when I get the chance because it's a great teachable moment about firstly the science but also people-to-people interactions). There's also a tl;dr version as well.
    The short and skinny version: I rarely get sweets (cupcakes, brownies, candy, etc) from students, because I specifically ask them not to at the beginning of the year (and if they still choose to bring me stuff, don't be offended when I do not partake). I have this policy because of a medical reason.

The long version:
    So because my body is generally broken and the returns/exchanges policy is utter horse manure, I have a disease called congenital sucrase-isomaltase deficiency (CSID). Which we break it down, I don't have enough of the enzyme sucrase-isomaltase and I've had it all my life. It is a similar component to people who are 'lactose intolerant', in that they lack or have low levels of the enzyme which is used to break down the compound sugars found in milk. In my case, I lack the sucrase-isomaltase enzyme which helps to break down sucrose (table sugar). Which produces similar symptoms to being lactose intolerant, with bloating, gas, nausea, etc.

In biology/nutrition/chemistry classes, we sort of touch bases on what a simple versus a complex sugar is. They're just like compound words in that they are made up of two or more sugars. In this case, the complex sugar is sucrose which breaks down into glucose and fructose. Glucose and fructose are then used in the body's internal processes as fuel in order for your cells to do all of the functions. The body can't use the complex sugar, that's why it has to be broken down into the ingredients that made it up. Mitochondria in your cells use those fructose and glucose molecules in order produce ATP, which is pretty much raw power to the cell.

Because of this, in order to not experience nausea and the discomfort that comes with having too much table sugar (by the by when I get too much, I throw up every time), I'm very conservative with my intake of that processed sugar. Mostly try to stick to whole foods, lots of fruits and veggies. Now it's not to say that I can't have some because I can tolerate it in small doses. But I also know where my limits lay and I try not to exceed those.

From there, I advice my students at the beginning of the year that while I won't stop you from bringing such things in (to share with classmates, teachers, etc), please don't be offended when I don't partake. If you were to ever see me come to work, I look like a hot mess but I promise it's a very organized hot mess. I always have my book bag, laptop bag, and my lunch bag when I get to work for the day. Laptop bag obviously has my laptop and related things, lunch bag has my snacks and meal for the day (lot of fruits and veggies, plain yogurt, etc), and my book bag generally catches the extra junk...

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2018

I write a thank you note and then leave on faculty room table or toss. I’m germphobic.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 22, 2018

We have some amazing families and it's not uncommon to have parents send in sweets or homemade main dishes. I don't worry about it. I can't always eat it all due to dietary restrictions but sincerely appreciate the thought and try whenever I can. Students' faces glow when they tell you their parent made something special and it's in the staff lounge.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 25, 2018

I would never put anything a child touched into my mouth.

czacza likes this.
  14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2018

40 yrs of eating home made snack in schools and Im healthy as a horse.........But did get pickier as the years passed. I eventually knew who made the BEST stuff..........and not ashamed to say I even solicited it at times........

Leaborb192 likes this.