Bahavior Management - 5th Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Lisa P, May 9, 2005.

1. Lisa P

Lisa P New Member

May 9, 2005

I am currently a First grade teacher and I have a great classroom management system that works for my young students. They react so well to positive reinforcement. I will be teaching Fifth grade next year and I know that I will have to adapt my classroom manamgement system. I woulod love some ideas from other 5th grade teachers. What works for your students?

3. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

May 9, 2005

The positive reinforcement works well for me. I have been teaching 5th grade for 3 years now. At the beginning of the year I divide the class into teams. The teams can earn beads/marbles for just doing good things. Each team has a jar. At the end of the week we count the beads and the team with the highest number wins a prize. Then we pour all of the beads into a fish bowl. When the bowl is filled we have a celebration. So if the students don't win for the week they are still contributing to a class goal. At the end of the year I have to start something new to keep them interested. I have blue pieces of paper that I call "blue tickets". It is based on the "Caught you being good!" system. At the end of the week I pull one out to win a little prize that I picked up at Wal-Mart. Sometimes I say that I will give out 5 blue tickets on the way to lunch. So all of them try to earn it. I hope this helps! Good luck!

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 9, 2005

I did my practicum in sixth grade and my daughter is also in sixth grade. This age group is also eager to please and they generally aren't yet at the age of defiance. Positive reinforcement still works great for these kids, but giving them responsibility also does. When possible, look for opportunities to give them choices. For example, if you are giving them a project to do, give them two choices of how to go about it and have them pick one, etc... This is probably my preferred age of all - they are past the point of having everything spelled out for them and they are very easy to win over (in my experience). Making them accountable for their actions is also easy and they seem to take it seriously. My mentor teacher in the grade 6 class had discipline sheets (blank sheets that they had to fill out themselves when they broke a rule or had to be repeatedly spoken to in class) - When they had to fill one out, they had to take it home to have signed - it made them accountable and they took it seriously since they still care what their parents think at that age.

5. Lisa P

Lisa P New Member

May 9, 2005

Thank you so much for your ideas. I think that they will be very helpful to me. I currently use a ticket system which includes an auction every other Friday for the students to earn prizes. It becomes a little too overwhelming. I like the idea of having a drawing at the end of each week. Keep up the good work. Thanks again!