Bah Humbug

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 17, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 17, 2012

Anyone else just not feeling Thanksgiving this year?

I had surgery again and had to miss last week at work, so I haven't been doing the activities with the kids that I usually do. My family doesn't usually plan anything elaborate because it's just my parents and I here--my dad likes to enjoy his day off and watch football and I will be recuperating after 2 days back in the classroom.

Just not really touched by the Thanksgiving spirit this year. :whistle:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2012

Feel better, kinder!:hugs:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2012

I never get too much into the spirit of holidays. Except for watching Elf before Christmas. And after. I most certainly watch Elf!

But being that this is out of character for you due to your circumstances, I hope a wave of Thanksgiving spirit comes over you. :)

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2012

I LOVE Thanksgiving!

Since it's not celebrated here I'll be working all next week. We're moving it to Saturday. I was just talking with my novio today about it. To me, Christmas is give or take, I just don't care too much about it. But Thanksgiving is a MUST DO.

We won't have a turkey or any traditional food, but just being with family and being thankful for all the wonderful things I have in my life is what's important to me.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 17, 2012

You always make me laugh! :) I just picture the ending of the Lifetime movie (can you tell I've watched a few of those this week:whistle:) where the character gets filled with the holiday spirit and everyone lives happily every after. Elf is definitely a classic-I just don't know how they filmed it with straight faces. Will Ferrell deserved an Oscar for that one! ;)

Thanks czacza!

I am thankful, it's not that. I actually read One Thousand Gifts this summer and started my own list. I did a school-related list for my blog of things I'm thankful for. It's just the celebrating part that I'm not really into this year.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2012

Dono't feel bad. Everyone's not always chipper around the holidays. But I hope you feel better for Christmas!

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 17, 2012

Thanksgiving has never been a big deal for me. It's only my parents and I and my one grandpa. My dad has family, but we're not close and we don't see them on Thanksgiving. I appreciate the time to visit home now that I live out of state, but the actual holiday doesn't hold much meaning for me. We're not allowed to do holiday activities at school either.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 17, 2012

Hope you feel better!
    Growing up with a single mom we never had big elaborate Thanksgiving dinners. My Aunt who raised my mom normally tried to force mom to bring us by when mom got done with her nursing shift, but that meant leftovers because they all ate early in the day. NOw it is just mom and I as my kids are off at college and can't afford to come home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

10. Ms B IL

Ms B IL Rookie

Nov 18, 2012

I'm not very excited about it either and Thanksgiving is usually my favorite holiday. Unfortunately, I live very far from my family and will be spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriend and his family. I will just say that the food is not what I'm used to and not usually very skillfully made since the cook only cooks 1-2 times per year. The "family" time is usually pretty tense with the family so it is hard to feel joyful when I'm on edge waiting to see what catastrophe happens next.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012

I am working on the Thanksgiving spirit. It's there... it's the coordinating of everything and still blending two families that is a wee bit stressful.

I hope you feel better, kinder. Lots of hugs :)

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Nov 18, 2012

Hugs! Think of it as a day to just read and appreciate your family. No pressure to make it into something with bells and whistles. Simply a day of THANKS.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2012

One of my very good girlfriends gave me that book...it's on my nightstand:love:

Celebrating can be exhausting...just keep the spirit of the season in your heart...:love:

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2012

I read about a team at a school who all read it and kept lists that they shared throughout the year at their weekly meetings of all the little things that struck them. I thought that was just an awesome idea.

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 18, 2012

:hugs: Hope you're feeling better Kinder!

I was thinking of this yesterday. I'm not feeling it either. DH is working this T-giving, sister and BIL always go to his family on T-giving, and my mom and dad are going to my cousin's, which is a couple of hours away. So, I'm about 99.9% sure that DS and I are going to hang around the house, stay in our jammies until noon, and then put up the Christmas tree. We'll be off to the in-law's on Saturday. Yay me. :rolleyes:

Christmas is more my holiday because of my little boy. :)

Beth

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 18, 2012

The holidays are hard on many people. I find them hard because I am the only one who can cook, and putting everything on the table at the same time can be difficult. Besides the cooking, the shopping, the gift giving, the kids who fight--I would rather go to McDonalds for lunch.