Bad Weather & Driving

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 21, 2010

Here, it's been raining pretty much all wk & constantly since yesterday. What extra precautions do you take when you drive in rain (or snow)? If the weather's really bad, do you try to stay at home if you're able to?

I personally don't mind the rain. I loved it as a child. The worst the weather gets in my area is hard rain. If it's the weekend, it's highly likely that I'll stay in. When it's the work week, I don't mind having to go out, but I try to leave 10-15 min earlier than usual & drive more slowly of course. I won't do extra errands after work, I'll go straight home.
    I would never want to go on a flight in the rain. I try not to fly when it's dark either.

I'm jealous of you guys that get snow days & get to stay at home! :mad::p

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

Between work and my daughter's soccer and school sport commitments, I don't usually have much choice about driving, no matter what the weather. We don't get snow days--the schools are always open. I take things easy, but most of my (short) drive is on a major road, so it's always plowed. I'm a bit nervous in heavy snow, but have gotten better over the past few years.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

I have lived in many places in this country. So, I've driven in lots of bad road conditions.

The worst is - ICE! I saw on Facebook last night that my family members back in Iowa just had a bad ice storm. In my opinion, there really is no safe way to drive on ice. You have to STAY HOME when the roads are icy!l

When I lived in Nebraska, I worked the second shift and got off work at about midnight. A snow storm had moved in while we were at work. It's was truly a "White Out" and I couldn't see beyond the end of the hood of the car. I pulled off to the side of the road and caught a ride into town with the guy behind me. He dropped me off at the apartment of some co-workers.

The next morning I went to get my car. There really was very little snow. But, the wind had been so bad that it caused the white out.

When I lived in Iowa, a snow storm dumped a ton of snow while I was working the second shift. I did OK on the blacktop road. But, I got hopelessly stuck on the gravel road that I had to travel to get home. I had my emergency supplies and pulled on my snow clothes and hiked close to a mile in the dark and trudged home.

The next morning, I got a neighbor farm to pull me out.

One more story - I lived in Panama City, Florida for a while. They had torrential rain storms in the afternoon. When they hit, the only safe thing to do was to pull over to the side of the road until the rain passed. It only took a few minutes for it to be safe to drive again.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

I love rainy weather. But the last few days have been crazy. I went to eat lunch with my husband on Monday, when I got there it was fine. But driving home...the streets were completely flooded, I had to drive in a line of cars in the median because there was the least amount of water there it was nuts. Only big rigs could go in the regular 2 lanes because their trucks are high enough than regular cars.

Ms. I: I'm home today, and was sent home yesterday from work! I work in Irvine and the road in front of the college I work at was closed by the city because of flooding, so we had to shut down! But I think we're open tomorrow, so back to work I'll go!

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 21, 2010

Ice is definitely the worst, especially black ice. I've hit that a few times (you can't even see it) and it's been scary...luckily I've never hit anything.

I avoid driving in snow if I can, but if I have to, I feel pretty secure in my Subaru. It's great in the snow. I've driven through over a foot of snow in it when our road hadn't been plowed and I had to get home. It's just the other people on the road I have to look out for.

I don't like driving in the rain. The last time I did highway driving in a rainstorm I almost got into a big accident because the guy in front of me stopped on the exit ramp for no apparent reason and people were swerving and it was just a bit scary.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

I'm really really OK driving in bad weather. Snow, rain, fog-- I'm OK.

Black Ice, of course, is a different story, since there's no real defense but a good offense. All you can do is drive fairly slowly and hope you don't come across any. Just about all my white-knuckle driving has been on black ice.

Beyond that, though, I'm good.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 21, 2010

I hate black ice, you just never know what to do or when it'll hit. Other than that, I'm good.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

I as ok driving in bad weather until Dec 13th. I was driving home from a Christmas Party and the road was extremely icy. Well two cars a head of me decided to hit their breaks. And it was all over. The two cars in front of me did 360s and I ended up in a ditch. So I'm a little more nervous now. And try to stay in if it's snowing.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

PS: The fire truck came and it slide into one of the cars in the ditch. Glad it wasn't my car.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 21, 2010

I was doing grad work at the U of Miami when then tropical storm Katrina cut across South Florida. Since it wasn't a "big" storm at that time, and it was supposed to go a little farther north, nothing was closed down. The general rule is that everything stays open until the winds hit 40mph, and it wasn't predicted to get that bad that far south. NOBODY predicted the amount of rain that came down. UM didn't shut down until 5pm that night. Well, by the time I headed home, the winds were closer to 50mph and the rain was so heavy I couldn't see even the front end of my car. Now, having lived nearly my entire life in S. Florida, I've driven in rain most would consider impossible to drive in, including TS Irene and the no-name storm that flooded the area later that year. This was worse. The trip from Coral Gables to Homestead can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on traffic. This trip took almost three hours.

I'm pretty okay with heavy rain, but snow...I'm gonna have to learn, now won't I?

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 21, 2010

Ice is awful! But you all in CA need to be really careful! The flooding and potential mud slides are not fun. Remember, don't drive over a flooded area - it can take your car away! Be careful.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 21, 2010

Rain doesn't really bother me. We get enough rain for it to be pretty normal.

I can drive in snow, but I usually don't. We get school called off for very little snow due to our roads (curvy & mountains). That means if we get snow I just usually stay inside. Right after Christmas we got snow for almost two weeks, so I ventured out a time or two.

I won't drive in ice.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2010

GlendaLL, you've experienced a lot!

Nice! I have a friend who lives in Lake Forest & just recently stopped working at Saddleback School District. Do you shop at the Irvine Spectrum or South Coast Plaza often? I haven't been to either in ages & I know they've built more at the Spectrum since I last went. I LOVE Fashion Island.

Woah, what an ordeal!