Bad Timing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ryhoyarbie, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Gotta say this is some bad timing for people trying to get into the teaching gig. I'm in the same boat. Most districts where I live (Dallas/Fort Worth area) just don't seem to be hiring that many people this year because there were very few turnovers. I just contacted a rather large school district in the DFW area a few minutes ago and they hired less than half of what they normally hire for each school year. Same story applies to several other school districts I've called and applied for in the last four months.

Oh well. Guess I'll do some student teaching in the process.

3. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

It's like this in every job field right now. Within the year things will perk up :) . I know that districts will always need good subs and that can always lead to a full-time teaching job.

4. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 11, 2009

We actually are even worse off here in PA. Our state has failed to pass a budget meaning that school districts will be receiving less money than anticipated from the government. Many of the districts in this are are not only not hiring new teachers, but they've just announced layoffs as well. Right now, I am counting my blessings that I even have a job.

5. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Aug 11, 2009

Remain positive. Things will turn around. You would be surprised what can happen up until after school starts. I would agree to do student teaching and remain positive:)

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

Things can still turn around. I've seen postings like crazy this past week now. It can still happen. Hang in there!

7. Padfoot103

Padfoot103 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

It's definitely tough, here in New York, the city has a hiring freeze so no one new can teach there. We just have to try to stay positive and keep looking for our right job!

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

It is really tough. I am an "experienced" teacher and I can't get an interview to save my life. Last year was tough with 45 positions I applied to over that season. This year I have applied to less than 15 postings in THREE counties. I had two screening interview in the current district that I aide in, but there were 40+ mostly internal candidates. I didn't make it past the screening process.

9. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

yeah ryhoyarbie,

I know my new district told us at teacher camp last week that they usually hired 450-500 new teacher and only hired about 200 this year. So, yeah that is less than half. It is rough. I know at my school there is only 3 new people and we are all experienced. My advice would be to student teach (I did it when I went through AC and that was 5 years). I've been teaching for the last 5 years.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

We just hired several teachers in our district last Friday. We are in the DFW area. There are still jobs out there. I was at the high school registration tonight and they had way more students registering than they originally anticipated. I overheard the guidance counselor say that they would need to hire. So, jobs are still out there and registration will be over the next few days for several districts. This will be when they see about how many actual students they can expect. Hopefully there will be more openings.:)