Bad Teachers?!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDV3888, Jul 14, 2009.

1. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I am 2 semesters before I start my internship and I just wanted to make a few comments on some teachers. The schools that I have observed are great,but the teachers,well lets just say they are snoody. The more I learn in the education field, the more I learn about the current teachers teaching our children. I have heard so many things like " I hate my job, I just need a job to survive", or " I had nothing better to get into in college", or "This was the easiest major so this is what I am doing". During my Practicum 1 experience, most teachers looked to me as if I was crazy wanting to be a teacher. I don't get it. I guess I am facing the harsh realities od the education field. But honestly, there are so many people out there that want to teach and want to combat the issues of the education because there are other positive things in teaching. I just feel that there are some teachers that shouldn't be teaching and are horrible yet their contracts keep them in. Well, wanted to get this off my mind!;)

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Unfortunately that is very true. There are many teachers out there that should not be in the classroom anymore.

Best advise... Stay out of the lounge. Somehow it breeds negativity. Once you have a few good friends on staff at your site, find a more positive place to chat ( away from the people who will bring your day down). It can also be very difficult when teachers from the grade below you talk negatively about their students so freely. That stuff can stay in your mind, but remember that each year, they are entitled to a clean slate.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

Sorry, I'm going to disagree about the lounge :)

I think it's important to be part of the school community. In my school at least, all the bonding amongst the teachers takes place in the lounge.

Are there different groups of friends? Of course. I tend to hang out at the mom's table, while the 20-somethings tend to hang out in other room. But that's OK. We meet over the coffee machine or at the fridge, and we chat. We exchange ideas on the run.

Within 2 weeks, you'll learn who the negative ones are, and you can ignore them. But unless some people are willing to be the positive force in that room, it won't change.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

When in the school year were you hearing these comments? If it was near the end of the school year, I'd venture MANY (maybe not all) of the comments were just teachers blowing off steam.

Teaching today is very different than it was 10 years ago or even 5 years ago when I started teaching. NCLB has tied the hands of many teachers. Teaching isn't as fun when you're told what to teach, when and how. It stops being teaching anymore for many. I can understand how teachers are frustrated.

I guess what I'm staying is give them a little bit of a break... it is much easier to tell when you're hanging out with folks day in and day out if it is venting or depression with the teaching profession.

Teaching is wonderful! Even feeling that, I have days I vent too.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I completely stand by my advise. I am very much a part of the school, I am friendly with every staff member, not just teachers. At my school, its easier to stay out of the lounge because our boxes are in the office where we get to say our hellos and we have a separate work room with the copy machines, laminator, and paper cutters. The work room is actually where I spend by breaks, many people come in but other than a few of us who stay in there, most people come in, do their stuff, chit chat, and then leave. So, we are not anti-social, but we spare ourselves the constant negativity.

There is a big difference from a teacher venting, and what can happen when people shouldn't be in the classroom anymore.

It is difficult being in a room that unhappy teachers use as a constant complaining room. It really depends on how your staff is.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

hopefully you will have a great mentor teacher that can help direct you in the right direction. yes, you want to be friendly with everyone, but avoid the negativity - change the subject, have a quick copy to go make, etc. You can do it in such a way to keep from offending anyone.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

This is sort of weird, but when I subbed, I found that math lounges were usually very friendly and open, science lounges usually so, english lounges usually vile dens of seething hatred towards all existence, social studies and language lounges all over the map and middle school lounges to be avoided At All Costs.

I worked in a huge district with a lot of schools: high schools, secondary (7-12), small schools, massive schools, lower income schools, wealthy schools, and my lounge observations invariably held true.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

Ugghh, I hope this thread doesn't turn into another teacher lounge thread...

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

You have to realize that, yes there are teachers out there that are just in it for a job and staying in it to survive because it's a job. However, there are MANY who are still passionate about teaching and love going in every day. Are there days where you have a hard time getting excited? Of course, as in all professions. There are going to be bad apples in every bushel.

11. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Mollydoll- that's really interesting! Would make for an interesting study.

I am someone who needs to vent occasionally--but I vent about other teachers, not my kids. I CAN'T STAND people who get paid as much or more than I do who DON'T DO THEIR JOB, and it drives me crazy. Unfortunately, we have 2-3 teachers and several assistants on staff who do very little, and I sometimes just have to "go off" about it--but I only do so in front of friends who know me and know I'm just venting.

Strange, the kids do get on my nerves sometimes, but they just don't get under my skin the way the adults do.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

Isn't it funny how adults can drive you crazy!!! I complain about my kids to my sister (also my sub) and my mom (teaches pre-k at my school). Thats only , especially this year. I had the best class ever.

13. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I am sorry you've had that experience.
    I must say that I love teaching. It's fantastic!
    Love the kids, love teaching, bu some teachers are better t stay away from. But that's the same as in all areas.

I try to avoid the negative teachers.
    I was really sad when meeting with some of my colleges to find out that the person who's taking over my class next year wasn't looking forward to it because she had heard so many bad thing about the students. :eek: I left before christmas to have my baby, and the sub has apparently been sharing all her frustrations with the other coworkers. Personally, I loved my class. Couldn't have asked for a better one! Challenges, yes, but no problem to cope with alone. However the sub has a different personality form me. I'm quite active, she's not. I just fit better with the class than her. She's moving on to another school now - her choice. Maybe she'll be more positive at the new school if she gets students and colleges that are more like her ? I just feel sorry for the kids I had too..

What I'm trying to say is that situations can cause people to have reactions and comment they wouldn't normally have. At the end of the year.. if there's a problem in the class that the teacher doesn't know how to handle.. If it's something like pms ;) .. or the teacher has a negative view of the world all together.. Personal problems? Or even the most dedicated teacher can be so frustrated that they say something they didn't mean because they care so much for the students and are nnot able to help them in all the areas they would like to.

There are many frustrations in the teaching profession, but then it's important to be able to think of all the positives as well. That's what keeps us going. The little victories.. :)

Good luck!

14. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I can bet that the thousands of people on here all love to teach (even if they are slightly burntout). I know that there are some people in schools that I've been in that are there because they thought it'd be easy. There's a lady on my grade level now that was about to get a divorce... knew it was eventually going to happen. So she went back to school and got her degree to teach. She's slowly getting into it and thankfully she's very good with our ESOL students.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

I stay out of the lounge, and I am still very much an active person in my school. I bond with teachers despite not eating with them daily. I was advised in college that it wasn't wise to eat in the lounge because of the gossip, and I don't want to be tempted in any way to engage in it, especially when it is about students. I would never want to talk about children behind parents' backs, and I know it doesn't just happen in one school. It happens everywhere.

16. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I call these teachers (ones who dont do anything) Bare-minimalists. I bust my butt to go above and beyond and then you have others who do the very least expected. Sometimes it gets soo frustrating that I wonder if I am the crazy one for going above and beyond when these other teachers are making the same pay as myself. I just keep saying its for the best of the children.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

There are bad schools too. Not just bad rating-wise, but bad in the morale is horrible. I would never discourage someone from going into teaching, especially if that's their calling. I couldn't do anything else. Many recently have been trying to talk me into going back to school, getting a masters, getting a job in administration...I have no goals for that. I just love being in the classroom too much! :)

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I love teaching too and I know we have two really bad teachers at my school who don't carry their weight. Their students suffer and we all have to pick up the pieces. What's the most criminal is that one of these bad teachers is our SPED resource teacher who is such a disturbance in the classroom that we don't want her coming in so we don't complain too much to the principal because we are glad when she doesn't come to "service" the kids on her roster. We do push-in SPEd (inclusive setting). She is more disruptive and inappropriate than my most misbehaved student. I am so happy when she is a no-show. We don't even care what she's doing. Still, we DO complain about her in private because we know that she is purposely disruptive in our rooms so we won't say anything when she doesn't show up. She's very manipulative but as teachers, we can see right through it. After all, kids are trying to manipulate us all the time. We can spot it a mile away. We let her think we don't know. We just don't want her coming in!

19. DaMaddHatter

DaMaddHatter Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

As for the lounge, most of them seem to be bad. We have to eat lunch with our students, and our lounge really is awful anyway, so it is not an issue at my current school.

To the OP, let me only offer advice based on my own experience. While in college, as an undergrad and grad student, I remember having such disdain for veteran teachers. They all seemed so mean and bitter. I remember once saying in a graduate class, out loud to everyone, that great teachers were so rare in schools that movies were made about the very few who exist! I swear, I wish I could go back in time and slap my younger self. I actually emailed the professor later and told her how wrong I had been when I got my first teaching job.

In my experience, college in no way resembled the real world of teaching. The instructors I had were very liberal and viewed education from a single position: that it had traditionally been a tool of white men to keep minorities oppressed. When I go to the "real world", it became apparent to me that my instructors spent very little time in actual schools (I have never witnessed a college professor at my school, btw). Teachers whom I would have originally thought were terrible teachers now appeared to be much wiser and realistic. I now wish I would not have gone through so much "education"--forgetting it all has been so hard! And the debt...

There are bad teachers out there, just as there are bad employees everywhere, but they are not common. I would suggest that if it seems to you that most of the teachers are bad and negative, it could be your perspective which is incorrect. I know that this is something that you will need to learn on your own, but I do hope that in a couple years you reflect back on your views and see how you feel at that point. Good luck!

20. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Aging

I'm afraid a lot of people my age in any profession would seem a bit bitter or jaded to someone your age. Don't let our whining affect your enthusiasm. You never listen to us about anything else, why pay attention when we talk about our profession?;)

21. CDV3888

CDV3888 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Thats a funyn way to put it I guess. It surely looks like a different range of opinions from teachers about "negative teachers". There couldve been other factors to why I experienced what I did this past Spring but I do hope I get a positive mentor next semester! :) Thanks for everybodys input and advice

22. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

Teaching as a career has changed SO MUCH in the 13 years I have been a teacher. There are people in every building from every level from super-enthusiastic and idealistic to total burnout. Some people vent when they need to and others groan and moan about everything! There is a big difference. I try to be a positive coop. teacher when I have student teachers but on a day to day basis - it can be challenging. I don't know how to put a positive spin on the mountains of paperwork and hectic pace of constant intervention groups. But I do try. :)

23. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

For curiosity's sake, are you going through the PROTEACH program at UF? If so, I can totally understand where you are coming from. When I think back to my internship, I asked the teachers not to tell me anything about the students or other staff (unless I had a specific question). I didn't want my opinions about the students or the staff to be corrupted by things that I had just heard. I used the staff lounge, but if the negativity was too much, I went and ate lunch with the kids. (And let me tell you, this is one of the best ways to get to know the students in your class in a totally relaxed setting :))