Bad Teacher

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

I saw the Movie Bad Teacher

AND

It was a Bad Movie

It took many Negative stereotypes about teachers and spotlighted them while throwing in some sex.
    It was funny (I have known teachers who fit the stereotypes)
    but all in all if you want to see it you should wait for it to arrive in the bargain bin at Walmart

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

I have been planning to see this since I first saw the trailer. I fully expect it to be awful. lol

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2011

The only movie I want to see this summer is Cars 2!

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

The only one I'm looking forward to is Super 8.

Mr. Poppin's Penguins was very funny, too.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

I thought Mr. Poppin's Penguins was so.... predictable I guess I was expecting more from Jim Carrey

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

My dd just saw Super 8 and said it was one of the best movies she has seen in a long time. She's planning on seeing it again next week :thumb:

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, it was predictable for sure. Especially if you've read the book! Not that it was entirely true to it. I thought Jim Carrey was hilarious in that role. I laughed out loud several times. Maybe my mood was better because I was seeing it with my kids. Somehow seeing things through kids' eyes is lighter and more fun.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 25, 2011

:thumb:

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

It reminds me so much of one of my friends from college. We even discussed it. I'm going to watch it and think of her over the miles. I fully expect it to be horrible.

I really want to see Mr. Popper's Penguins but I can't get my fiancee to see it with me.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 25, 2011

Not Winnie The Pooh?

It is very Disney :)

I'm going to see Bad Teacher tonight at the movie with a bar. I was planning on staying in, but two friends called and invited me so I'm going as soon as my dinner arrives. (I ordered in before I knew about the movie).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRT86ZggCEk

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 25, 2011

I just came back from watching Bad Teacher. I found it funny.

13. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 25, 2011

Saw Super 8 on opening weekend! Excellent movie!!!

14. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 25, 2011

Super 8 was reallly good (Think E.T. meets Goonies meets Cloverfield)

Movies I am looking forward to this summer:
    Captain America
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II
    Cowboys and Aliens (It just looks like such a hilarious concept and look at all the big names in it)

15. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jun 25, 2011

I saw Bad Teacher last night and thought it was funny. I think it's important to have a sense of humor and have a good laugh.

16. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jun 25, 2011

I saw Super 8 and loved it! I definitely plan to see it again. It's the kind of movie that makes you feel like a kid again (in a good way).

As far as Bad Teacher, I don't have a problem with a genuinely funny movie about teachers even if it is made up of negative stereotypes, but the review I read basically said it was boring and ridiculously bad.

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jun 25, 2011

I agree with those who said Super 8 was great! Awesome movie!!

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2011

Super 8 was fantastic! Very ET ish. I was sobbing at the end.
    As for Bad Teacher, I thought it was entertaining and it had quite a few good laughs. It was exactly what I expected it to be.

19. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 25, 2011

I saw it and thought it was funny, very funny actually.

Its obviously a satire. I do think though that some will miss the point that its a satire and not a documentary and use it to demean teachers. Or at least, create notions in the media negatively about teachers.

Anyone who knows anything about teaching would know its so not true! She was a 2nd year teacher and was never evaluated?!?

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

I was surprised by the amount of cursing in Super 8. The kid actors did a phenomenal job, though.

21. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

I think the cursing was peppered rather evenly throughout the film and made it believable

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2011

I'm planning to see Bad Teacher & I expect it to be a good laugh. Not a big fan of Cameron Diaz though.

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2011

We were going to go see it tonight, but some friends were going to see Cars 2 so we saw that instead. It was really cute. I liked it.

Actually, BF and I were laughing that we always seem to go see kids movies together. Seems to be the one agreed upon genre.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 26, 2011

I really enjoyed Bad Teacher.

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

I really, really, really wanted to see it, but I hate when my expectations are too high and then I end up being disappointed. I didn't know if the clips they show in the commercials were the best they had (because I think they were pretty cliched) or if those were the only clean parts. ;)

I'm not a fan of Cameron Diaz either.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

I'm going to go see it without high expectations for a meaningful, thoughtful plot line. A few laughs is all I'm looking for.

That said, Inside Edition just did a 'real' bad teacher story...highlighting unprofessional stupid idiots who shouldn't have been allowed to teach in the first place...you know the ones...the bimbos who slept with middle school kids, ones caught on video drunk in class or physically assaulting kids. Just what our profession needs...I don't mind a funny movie, but using it as an example of what teachers are like just stinks.

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2011

The point of a comedy is exaggeration, sometimes ridiculous exaggeration. I wouldn't be going to "Bad Teacher" expecting it to be a realistic or thoughtful treatment of education.

And in fairness to Jim Carrey, though I'm not a fan of his, he probably didn't write the movie, ID. He was probably advised to go into it by his agent (there are probably relatively few actors who really pick their own movies).

28. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 26, 2011

I agree with what others have said, Super 8 was good!

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

I thought Bad Teacher was awesome. It was pretty hilarious, actually. I'm a big fan of Cameron Diaz but not a fan of Justin Timberlake.

As far as the movie contributing to negative stereotypes about teachers, I think most people who watch it undestand that (for the most part) it's pretty far-fetched.

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2011

I feel like anyone who would say "I really hate teachers because of what Cameron Diaz did in that movie" would probably find some other reason to hate teachers if this movie didn't exist. Like how we waste taxpayers money with our long summer vacations.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2011

I highly doubt I'll watch just because I'm not a big fan of sexual crudeness...makes me a little uncomfortable.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

:lol: And that's one thing that draws me to movies. I have the sense of humor of a thirteen-year-old boy, for real. It's ridiculous. :whistle:

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

:yeahthat::agreed:

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 26, 2011

So, I just saw it. It was about as funny as I thought it would be. It was pretty funny (nothing of quality though). The sexual crassness is quite a lot though. I wouldn't want a highschooler watching it, even though they probably hear that kind of stuff in the school halls.

35. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

Yeah...Peppered evenly is right, as in every scene had a curse word. I really wouldn't care at all except it had child actors, was geared towards a younger audience, and I saw it with my niece. I was just disturbed by a young actor saying " pu***"" multiple times.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2011

Aw, I have been looking forward to watching it, but did suspect the stereotypes. It just looks so funny.

37. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 26, 2011

I loved the swearing and sexual crudeness! The dry hump scene had me falling off my chair or when she came home to her fiance after quitting in the beginning.

On another note- I don't mind child actors swearing in movies because children of the same age say the same exact things. It makes me realistic and believable. I don't think anyone really thinks its good or acceptable for children to swear but its a harsh reality of our society and its not going to change.

38. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jun 26, 2011

I saw it and enjoyed it...
    however I was irritated that people had brought their elementary age children to see it. They were at least 5-10 kids in the theater that I know were probably 8-10 years old. Adults should understand that it's comedy...but I def. don't think it's a movie for kids (hey it's rated "R" for a reason.)

39. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

I know what you mean. I couldn't even enjoy the movie because two ladies brought a 4-year-old and a toddler (who kept running and crying all the time). The rating R means nothing. We were so upset about not being able to enjoy the show that we approached the manager to file a complaint. He said that even if a movie is rated R, he can't stop little kids from being in these shows before 6pm. Then we wonder where the swearing comes from. :dizzy:

40. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 26, 2011

In all honesty, they could've said worse things. I know around here, people started throwing that word around in middle school (7th grade)

41. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 26, 2011

Super 8 was awesome! It was one of the best movies I've seen (story wise) in a long time! I too, want to see Bad Teacher... I know it won't be realistic at all, but it looks funny :)