Bad student teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ahsila, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 22, 2008

My own student teaching experience was good; my supervising teacher was a lovely person who really helped me. She also let me dig through her files and help myself to copies of anything I wanted.

My first experience as a supervising teacher wasn't quite what I expected. My student teacher dressed like a teenager, her grammar was atrocious, her adjustment to the world of adulthood and work wasn't going well, she was almost always either late or borderline, she ate and drank in front of the students ("I didn't have time for breakfast and I'm STARVING!") she was LOUD LOUD LOUD, and she was gone before the dust from the buses had even settled.

AND, she was astonished when her evaluations were bad.

2. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 23, 2008

My first CT was wonderful. She could not have been any better. We got along so well. She taught me so much.

My second assignment was with 2 teachers. Neither one was willing to give their entire schedule. It was god awful with both of them. They did not want me there but of course had no choice. I was never given complete control of their classroom. They hated everything about me. Unfortunately I returned my frustration. I'm still concerned about teaching because of them.

3. Feb 4, 2020

Hello,

I just completed student teaching. I pretty much went through hell. I had a paid internship and had a master teacher that gave me such a hard time since day one. I worked very hard and I know it was not me with the problem. I think she was racist. I kept reflecting on it every week and not even my university or university supervisor did anything to help me. I was very sick vomiting throughout student teaching and no matter what I would do it was never good enough for my CT. I was issued my credential and I still had to finish off student teaching because of my schools program. The last day I met with my master teacher to finalize grades she raised her voice at me and told me to do additional work that what I was no responsible for doing. I did my part but at this point I had to leave and tell her I was not doing this. She called my university to complain and I tried explaining to the university what had happened. They knew all along what I had gone through and I was never pulled out of this assignment. Now she complained about me and I have my university contacting me. My credential has been issued but it’s my reputation on the line. Would I get my credential revokes over this or is this the end of it? Please help ! I have been so overwhelmed because of what I was put through. I have a full time position as a teacher and I love my job. But In this field everyone knows everything and everyone.

4. skyline

skyline Companion

Feb 8, 2020

Hi, I'm sorry you went through a negative experience. I don't understand what you mean by your credential? Where are you located? Here, we graduate with a teaching degree from a college after successfully completing all courses and student teaching. We also have to take a bunch of standardized tests (not offered at my college) and apply with the State Department of Education to get licensed. The college reports that we successfully completed their program to the State. The State gets this information along with our passing standardized test scores, then the State issues us with a Provisional License.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2020

I cannot imagine having a bad experience while student teaching. I have to go back to the spring of 1978 to recall mine. A new middle school in Marion County Fla. was willing to take on 5 student teachers in their Phys. Ed dept. for about 3 months. I learned more in those 11 12 weeks than in 4 yrs of college. I had a great student teacher and my college director was positive, also. They brought us along nicely with assisting in Physical Fitness testing for a few weeks and then we had to teach units. I taught archery with my best friend (another student teacher). I KNEW NOTHING about the subject and learned as I went. That archery ended my friend's teaching career as we had mainstreamed ESE students and Herman walked out in front of the archers while were shooting and even pulled one of the BIG targets on himself , full of arrows. Herman Horn. Gary (my friend) was a super organized human being and OCD. Children upset those methods too much and he never taught. Was very successful in a large pool business, though. After archery I had to teach a unit in gymnastics. I had a great gymnastics course in college so I was more prepared. Except, I was spotting a young girl doing back handsprings and she caught me off guard and started before I was ready and landed on her head twisting her neck. Scared the **** out of me. Even worse, I get called into the principal's office the next morning (great guy) about the incident and Im thinking "this is it, no teaching career" The parents wanted to know if I thought she could go to a cheer competition that weekend with her sore neck..........I had no idea my PE degree also carried medical certifications but Lord I was so relieved. Even though I interned in grades 6-8 I mostly taught k-5 most of my career. The archery unit came in handy as I taught Archery for 20+ years and my kids LOVED IT. I was lucky back then. Sadly, I never got to have an intern and always wanted one. I observed some in our school my last 10 yrs or so in the primary grades and they were awful. We finally got a good intern (she was about 30) and hired her the next year.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2020

Exact same way it goes here too.
    I was 1 of the fortunate ones when it came to getting a top- notch ST experience. From day 1, we just clicked. She helped and taught me a lot. She was very kind to me. She trusted me w/ things that I don't think I could trust a ST with, but she must have sensed the kind of person I am. She told me flat out that the P was scared of 1 parent when we had an incident and a few other helpful things that I'd not have told a ST out of fear they'd repeat it. :) I'll always be thankful for her!

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2020

Not for sure, and this probably depends on the state, but the clue may be " I had a paid internship."
    "Teacher intern programs offer an alternative pathway to teacher certification for aspiring educators. In California, there are two types of intern programs: district and university. A district intern teacher is enrolled in a district sponsored preliminary credential program; in contrast, a university intern teacher is enrolled in a university preliminary credential program. San Diego Unified School District does not currently have any active district intern programs; however, the district has established partnerships with 11 local universities. Internships may become available when there is a shortage of fully credentialed teachers. If the district has a teaching vacancy they cannot fill with a credentialed teacher, a qualified preliminary credential candidate may be hired as an intern teacher."

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 10, 2020

The first teacher I was placed with was a year from retiring so he wasn't too interested in having me around. I don't know why they put people with teachers who don't care. Why not ask instead of assigning them to random teachers? Anyway, the second teacher I was placed with was lovely and helpful and made me excited to teach.