Bad student teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ahsila, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 17, 2008

On a couple of other threads, I read about people having bad experiences with student teaching. I, too, had a bad experience. I thought it would be nice to have a thread to vent about bad experiences and to offer help to those going through bad experiences now. So, here's my story:

I was with a teacher who was retiring - the semester I was in her room was her very last semester as a teacher. Basically, I think she was mad that I was "stealing" her class or thunder or something. She gave no direction and was critical of every fun activity I tried to do ("They're here to learn, not to play.") She constantly told me to never EVER tell a student they couldn't go to the restroom because if they wet themselves, I could lose my job but then when my college professor came to observe me, she yelled at me in front of the students and my professor because I let one kid go to the restroom. I have been teaching long enough that I know I'm a good teacher (not the best, but I know I'm good at what I do), but I still harbor ill feelings toward that woman. She almost made me quit more than once.

Anybody else care to share stories?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

My master teacher was quite good, actually. I learned a lot from her... until her pregnancy became too much and she spent most of her time in the lounge. But that's ok, because I prefered the empty room. I took over for her full time when she went on maternity leave, and I credit that experience to getting me my future jobs. She was quick with a smile, but she def. did become the cranky pregnant lady towards the end. I helped hte kids make her a baby quilt. And she threw me the most beautiful surprise 'teaching' shower ever. I still have a lot of that stuff.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 17, 2008

I made a grand mistake by student teaching in the same district where my parents were teachers. My cooperating teacher was extremely welcoming as I was preparing to come to her classroom and made it sound like we were going to be good buddies. It turned into a crazy tug-of-war where she expected me to already know everything about pedagogy (I didn't know it was genetic) but refused to completely turn over her students to me. The students would always look at her when I would attempt discipline and follow her lead.

I wanted to use one of the books in the curriculum as a stepping stone for Inquiry Based Learning (it had appealed to me in Theory class). She put her foot down and insisted that her classes always hold a mock trial based on the characters, and she completely took the classes back from me during that time. Well, she took back two, as she had decided the other three weren't bright enough to handle the enrichment. :eek:

The topper? She now refuses to act as one of my references because she wasn't invited to my wedding.

stephenpe likes this.
  5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

My supervising teacher was pretty good. It was a second career for her and I think when she started out, she really wanted to do it, but by year 7 she was getting lax in a lot of things that she did. Her management of the class was confusing and ineffective as well. At the end, the most traumatic thing, was my college supervisor told me that I'd made no progress what so ever in the 3 years of being at college while she had known me. I e-mailed her later to ask her if I was going to graduate... I never received a response other than, if you were in my shoes would you answer your question? I was on edge for weeks till I knew for sure that I'd be graduating.... during that time I was so upset and nervous.. my birth control pills went wacky.. and now I have a son :) lol

6. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 17, 2008

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    I snorted Dr. Pepper out my nose when I read that. Thanks!!!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

My teacher was evil. E V I L!!!
    I think that she expected someone younger who automatically thought she was perfect and would follow her around like a puppy dog. I was older, and was able to form a good relationship with the students. I think she was jealous--she never asked the students about their outside lives until she saw them telling me about themselves all the time. There was quite a bit of this--everything from guided reading, to using math manipulatives. Even the way I gave tests on Friday, she considered wrong. She wanted to give them the spelling test, spelling sentences, comprehension tests, vocabulary test, and math drill all in one shot. I would give a test, and make them stand up and stretch and move and we would take a break to go to the bathroom about 1/2 way thru. These were 2nd graders.
    We were on totally different ends of the spectrum. I don't mind small chatter, she liked absolute quiet. I like it when they buddy up, she hated it. I like carpet time, she liked desks. I begged the college to move me. She wouldn't even talk to me unless other people were around. She wasn't happy unless I did things totally her way. It finally came to a head when she attacked me verbally, in front of the class and another teacher--for a list of things--including letting the kids go to the bathroom, putting stickers on their papers (she said it was a waste of time), and other nutty stuff--like I hovered over the students, and I shouldn't let them come to my desk to ask me questions. She was telling me she held my future in her hands and that she determined my fate. It was crazy. I left, went straight to the college, todl them I refused to go back into her room because I was scared for my safety and that they had an obligation to protect me as a student. I was moved, but it really messed with my self-esteem. I was heartbroken that the situation was the way it was. I wanted to have a mentor, someone I could always go to.

stephenpe likes this.
  8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 17, 2008

These stories are horrible! Why would anyone sign up to be a CT if they acted like this? Surely they would know that a new teacher isn't going to be perfect and that everyone does things a little different. Isn't there some sort of required seminar that puts CTs in a school on the same page as to what to expect and what role they are to play?

You all have my utmost sympathies :sorry:

9. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 17, 2008

I didn't have the greatest student teaching experience. We got 2 assignments during our student teaching semester. I student taught in K for 9 weeks and 4th for 9 weeks. I had a horrible time in the K class. The cooperating teacher would never talk to me. If I was doing anything wrong she'd go right to my supervisor in college. I pretty much freaked when my supervisor told me there was a chance I wasn't going to graduate after my K experience. Turns out, the cooperating teacher was telling my college supervisor complete lies! What?!?! I have no idea what this lady had against me. My 4th grade experience was a completing different one. I loved it, the teacher was great! Yes, I did graduate that semester.

10. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. My student teaching was pretty good. However, it was my first year of teaching that almost made me quit. I had a principal a lot like your observing teacher. Keep your chin up. You are going to come across bitter people like this. After my bad experience, I moved to another school and found that teaching can actually be fun and that I love it. Imagine that! If you can survive this bad experience you can survive anything!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

My student teaching was great but it did not prepare me for teaching students who would not do as requested. I taught in the same district that I went to as a youngster. I even went to my old elementary school and my master teacher was the 4th grade teacher that I wanted when I went to elementary school. I also taught in a class that my 9th grade homeroom teacher taught. He lived across the street from me and drove me to school every morning:). The biggest behavior problem that I had to deal with in all of my student teaching career was a first grade student who wouldn't stop talking to her friends. My special ed. placement was teaching first grade students to read (the students I worked with were turning 7 yrs. old in Feb./Mar, so were probably not developmentally ready to read at such a high level).:eek:hmy:

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

I student taught in my college town and the teachers were flooded with student teachers and hated them. I ended up at a catholic school and graded papers the entire time. My supervising teacher used the same planbook she'd used 15-20 years over and over and actually was proud of it. Her daughter was also in the school and used to mock me while I had meetings with her mom. I would love to write a letter to her and tell her thanks because I knew then WHO I DIDN'T WANT TO BE LIKE-HER.

13. SmallTownGirl

SmallTownGirl Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

My first semester student teaching was terrible! I was placed with a woman who LOVED to have student teachers because it meant she didn't have to do any work! While I was there student teaching there was also another girl from a different program student teaching so we shared responsibilities. We also had to share our responsibilities with a tutor who came every other morning and a different tutor who came every other afternoon! I did a lot of stapling, copy making, and grading that semester...

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2008

It was a horrible experience! 20+ years later & I still say that. My CT was a teacher I had worked with before, so she knew what she could expect from me. What she didn't expect was that just before student teaching started I had my heart broken. I was messed up for the longest time. To top it off my college got a new professor & I was one of her advisees. That was awful. I remember her telling me to write down my lesson plans (I was doing it). She ripped me to shreds when I didn't have it done exactly as she wanted it. My CT & I had done it together. She wanted me to write down exactly what I was going to say & exactly how the kids would respond. Word for word. I know there were other things, but that's all I can remember. I ended up student teaching there a couple of extra weeks before I moved to my next placement. All I remember about my next placement is that I got my old advisor back & I made progress. It wasn't perfect, but much better.

15. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

I found out from experience, most supervising teachers are just the person who raised their hand reluctantly in a meeting because someone had to take the student teacher and nobody else wanted him or her. The only training that mine had was reading a packet that my college gave her.. oh wait, no she took the packet and placed it on her desk. She didn't read it at all. So nope, no training!

16. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 17, 2008

gee...can't wait to student teach..

Wow, how about some positive replies? You are gonna scare all us soon-to-be teachers right out of teaching! LOL My concern with being "older" and a student teacher is getting a young teacher that may not appreciate the knowledge us "older" folks have acquired. (does that make sense?) And I have already taught in a private school, so I don't know how well I will be going back to student teaching.

17. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I had 2 placements, each for 7 weeks. The first was a disaster, but the second was great. The first. LOts of crying and stress! My CT did not agree with the way the university prepared us--there is no room in today's classroom for hands-on, experiments, cooperative projects, ect. Many lessons she either changed or would not let me do. I had to get my advisor and supervisor involved even. When it was over I was so relieved.

But... 2 days into my second placement, which was at my "home" campus where I had been an aide for years, my supervisor came to me and told me i was "on thin ice" because of complaints made to the university by my CT and the principal at the other school. WHOA. Turns out, it was said that I had stepped out of my place and approached the principal without permission (I wanted to say hi, bad idea there though), supposedly told an aide that she should not have been hired if she can't work a printer (funny....it was me who couldn't work it!), among other untruths. I was SHOCKED.

The good news was that my university completely supported me! Although I knew that I could not get a job in this district, no matter that I had a great record as an aide, I had NO problems getting a job at another school and am much happier. My 2nd placement went GREAT, and I had a wonderful and supportive CT --I could not have asked for a better experience!

So for those having trouble, bear the stress and do your best to not step on toes. Once it is over, it is over!!!! :) You can get through it!!!

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

Okay, I don't mean to thread hijack, but here goes. Just as there are CT's from H-E-double hockey sticks, there are STs from you-know-where too!

I had one!

She thought she knew EVERYTHING! In her mind, her 4 years of book learning and her opinion was far better than anything an experienced teacher could know.

She wrote lesson plans that weren't related to what we were required to teach. She was given a curriculum map that showed we were supposed to be teaching about habitats. She wanted to teach about insects -- because she had made a "great unit" for a class project the previous year.

She questioned and argued with everything I said or did. In a loud voice, she'd say "I can't believe ANYBODY uses that type of classroom managment system anymore. Studies show it doesn't work, so I can't imagine why anyone with any intelligence would use it!" Things like that.

She spoke to others (parents, my colleagues, her classmates) about how "horrible" the teachers were at our school (oh yeah, it got back to us right away!)

When she was supposed to be observing, (the first week) she would interrupt me while I was teaching to tell me I was wrong about some something. Outloud. WHile I was teaching... (They were not things I was wrong about, by the way.. just age -appropriate ways of doing things.. such as, in 1st and 2nd grade, we call nouns "naming words" and verbs "actions words". She would say things like "Excuse me, but shouldn't you teach them the CORRECT names for those?")

She sought out parents to tell them that she didn't agree with a test, an assignment, whatever, that I had done. She did the same to tell parents she didn't like something that the art teacher, PE teacher, or music teacher had done "to that child."

If we sat down to talk about a lesson she had done, I always asked her how she thought it had went. Her answer was always "It went perfectly! I'm so pleased!" She never noticed the scowling principal standing in the corner, the 12 off-task students, the child who fell out of his chair, or the fact that half the class was lost and didn't even do the assignment that went along with the lesson.

She argued with anything constructive anyone tried to tell her. The principal called her in to his office, and she even argued with him!

I would have asked to have her moved, except my principal got wind of what she was saying to others about our school, he came in and observed himself, and then called the university and insisted she be removed at once, or the threatened to never accept another student teacher from their program into our school!

Anyway, just so you know -- the same thing happens sometimes to CTs too.

There are good STs, there are okay STs, and there are "once-in-a-lifetime" CTs.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2008

I had to student teach for 4 terms because I earned 2 credentials, so for 2 terms, I worked w/ 2 separate K-6 RSP co-op teachers for my mild/moderate disabilites credential AND 3rd & 6th gr co-op teachers for my multiple subjects credential. Out of all that, only one was who I'd call extremely exceptional. When I say that, I mean she genuinely cared about my learning & success. She was incredibly helpful, was willing to talk to me before & after school & during lunch hrs, let me copy anything in her room that I wanted, gave me excellent advice, & a lot more. Anyone would be very blessed to come across someone like her in their lifetime.

The 3rd grade teacher I had was pretty good. The worse was the 6th grade teacher I had.

Boy, am I glad I'm done w/ that!

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 17, 2008

I had a ST that came into my room and told me that she had permission to teach anything she wanted in my class. She then moved my room around while I was gone to planning (walked my students to music and stayed to watch them because the music teacher complained about a student). When I told her that I was taking the kids for a short walk around and she had five minutes to fix my room, she told me that I had no rights. Since I had agreed to take her, I gave up those rights. I took my students straight to the principal's office and he called her supervisor from the college. She was yanked from the program and was told she couldn't do her student teaching that semester. She had to reenroll in the fall. She called the school and left a message for me to call her. When I didn't ( I knew she was mad) she showed up to "tell me how I messed up her life." Luckily for me, my principal and the college had worked with me on other occasions with student teachers and knew that I really tried hard to make them feel welcomed. I even had a desk moved into my room with her own supplies (that I paid for out of my pocket!)

21. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

My student teaching experiences were both great. I feel badly for you all who had bad ones. My 2nd supervising teacher was diagnosed with cancer before school started the year after I was with her, so I was able to take her class. It was bittersweet b/c she was sick, but it got my foot in the door.

22. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!

23. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Hijack away!! Honestly, for those of us who may one day be CTs, we need to know what NOT to do and your focus shows the soon to be STs what not to do. It's all for the sake of learning!:)

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2008

I've had wonderful experiences, both as a student teacher and a supervising teacher. (Only one very poorly prepared student teacher.) I'm so sorry you all went through this.

I love having student teachers in my room. They are another hand, they have some fresh ideas, it's someone to silently communicate with when the students do something funny. And I get paid for it! Can't wait for my new one to arrive Fall semester. The last one was the best student teacher I ever had. She taught the entire matter unit and did an outstanding job, complete with experiments. She'll be working for our county this year.

25. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

We get a whopping $40 for it. Yeah, like that makes it worthwhile. It is also a tradition to spend the $40 buying your ST something for their new classroom.

I had the one unfortunate situation, but overall I love it. It is nice to have another adult to talk to sometimes. And I love to share anyway.

26. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

I recently had a student teacher who was fabulous. She was well planned, organized, and always positive. Her managment skills needed work and even though I talked with her about it on several occasions, modeled for her, etc, it was difficult for me to let go. Her management styles were different than mine. She often times was oblivious to things going on in the classroom.

With that said, I do have to admit that I probably wasn't the best CT because it is hard to turn over your classroom. It's hard as CT's to walk away from a classroom full of students that were "yours". I love my kids dearly, and I felt very disconnected with them when I was required to be absent from the room for six weeks. Plus, once the ST leaves, we as the CT's have to work with our kids to get them back. Depending on how great/horrible the student teacher was, that can be easy or difficult.

Please understand that while CT teachers can be horrible, so can ST's. I've heard horror stories from many people about ST's and I was hesitant to take one on. I did it strictly to pay my dues...someone did it for me, so I returned the favor to the teaching profession.

27. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2008

Both my cooperating teachers were great. They were supportive and allowed me to try out stuff but were clear in expectations too.

28. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

My ST wasn't the problem. He was great. The problem I had was that my advisor (some random person hired at the last minute by the college) was a witch. She insisted on these extensive journal entries that were supposed to be done three times a week in addition to the lessons we were supposed to do for our teaching. It wasn't part of the college requirement. There were three of us at the same school under her and she told every one of us that if we didn't do these journals that were not on the syllabus as part of our grade that she would fail us all. She popped up randomly for observations without signing in to the front office. She would come to our classroom assignments and terrorize the students and us. If we didn't have our portofolio and lessons in order right then and there she would give us F's. She would send us ominous emails making threats about how we weren't working hard enough and that we were not going to graduate. I was so on edge! The principal called all three of us into her office and asked what was going on. We all just started crying becuase of the awful things she was doing to us. we explained what was going on. The principal told the university that she wouldn't allow her in the building ever again and threatened to never take another ST again. After that we were assigned a new advisor, a professor that we were familiar with and it was smooth sailing.

29. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 18, 2008

I feel bad for everyone posting that had a bad ST or CT.

My CT was FANTASTIC! I can't thank her enough for all she did for me. She made me feel very welcome, got me acquainted with everyone at the school, and didn't throw me in to sink or swim. I took over one little bit at a time. First with morning meetings, taking students on restroom breaks, then one subject at a time (starting with what I was most comfortable with and moving on from there). When I was suppose to take on full-on instruction, we met at the school on a Saturday and she showed me how she wrote out her lesson plans.

When I had an observation with my advisor from college (who was also excellent) she'd help me plan out my lesson, give me resources if I needed anything, and show me how to quickly find library books for read alouds.

I went to visit her and the kids several times after my actual assignment was over.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2008

At the university I attended, the ST is supposed to completely take over the class for the last two wks. With my RSP student teaching, the CTs didn't want to put that much pressure on me so I did more than usual, but didn't have to completely take over. For the two terms I had the 3rd & 6th grade classes, somehow, I only had to take over for one wk in each class. It seemed like neither of them really knew that I was supposed to take over when I was supposed to & I didn't really emphasize it, so by the time they realized I was supposed to take over, there was only a wk left! Hee hee! Overall, I got positive comments & grades from everyone.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 18, 2008

I student taught in 2 different schools. One High school and one Jr. High. My CT in the high school seemed to be a nice older man (at first). He liked most of my ideas and let me have one honors class that I could take over for the most part. I still had to work with some of the other classes. He wouldn't let me TOUCH his AP class. I understood that so I just observed. After about 3 weeks he started acting very annoyed with me. I didn't do anything differently but he didn't seem to like anything I did. Thank goodness when I was observed it was during the honors class and I had a pretty good relationship with the kids. They were really good that day and followed my lesson. The CT said "UM BYE" when I left...with his back to me! I couldn't wait to get out of there. My 2nd student teaching was with a lovely woman who I learned a lot from. I had a great time and got a LTS position in that department after I graduated.

On that note...I MIGHT get a student teacher of my own in the fall. It is between me and another teacher and they havn't decided yet. I already sort of know this girl since she had worked in the school already so I hope it goes ok!

32. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

My CT didn't have a choice, and the university did not provide support for the school or the CTS. Myself and the other Student Teachers at the school were put in the middle and running messenger. I had to start sending all communications requested by the principal and teacher by email so my University Supervisor could not deny they were done. It was a pretty bad experience and I still wish I could turn back time and insist it change. I wish I would have be proactive in changing what was going wrong!

33. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2008

I had 2 wonderful student teaching experiences (well, one of them I almost didn't have). I went to meet the teacher I was supposed to have, and she kept going on and on about how she needed a break, and couldn't wait for for me to get there- how she & her neighbor were having student teachers and the were going to relax for the entire time. I went to my college and told them, and they moved me. My 2 teachers combined had been teaching for over 40 years, and were just awesome. I work with one of them now, and she & I have a great relationship.

We are near a local college, so we have a lot of students from there in my room.

I just had a student teacher who was awesome! I would say now we are friends as well. I have had some observers & pre-student teachers who have been awful. Mumblers, know it alls, and people who are scared of 5th grade. I had one who came in and had done ZERO prep for the lessons she had said she was going to teach. She got up in front of the kids and it was awful. Even worse, her professor was observing her.

34. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 18, 2008

My cooperating teacher was hospitalized the last 6 weeks I did my ST and I had the kids all by myself. It was a nightmare for me because I simply wasn't ready yet. The district hired a sub for the CT but put her in the library to help out the librarian.

I've had 5 ST's and 3 Novice Teachers that I've mentored, with only 2 bad experiences. One of the Novice Teachers never showed up when he was supposed to for our weekly meetings, I'd arrive at 7:00 a.m. and he wouldn't call or show up. He did it 4 times and I talked w/the principal about it. Not much happened at all. He was totally unprofessional and wasn't offered a contract that spring.

35. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

This story is aweful! I am guessing that this did not keep you from teaching since you are on this board and thank God for that! That teacher should never be allowed to teach. I think all children should be allowed to ask questions and come to your desk. If they were scared to ask questions then they would not when they really did not understand something and hints the failed test! I also think stickers are awesome for kids. They the ones who dont get em want to get do better and get the stickers for a job well done. I also don't think that she she should group her tests for all in one day . That would make any child fail for sure they can not learn 4 subject areas all for one day you know! The budding up is a great idea! Some students learn better if they have a friend to help them. I know when I was in school the teacher could not always come across in a way that made me learn it but a friend could. That was not the teachers fault we just all learn differently. You sound like you did everything right for these kids. I would not have liked a teacher like that when i was in school. Students don't want to feel like they are in boot camp and can't be a kid while at school you can still learn while having fun. From my experince in school I learned the material 99% better and longer if it was made to be fun!
    For example , my sister had a teacher in 4th or 5th grade that made a song up to learn the presidents order and she came home and taught me the song. I still remember most of the song to this day at 21yrs old. It was way better than just writing the pres. on the board and saying here learn these for a test. The test was questions like who was the 1st pres.? Who was Bill Clinton's Vis Presedent? This song they could sing in their head while taking the test and helped them learn.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2008

Because of this post, I just emailed my second master teacher (or CT as you guys call them) and thanked her for being an awesome master teacher.

My first assignment did not go so great. It was a kindergarten assignment. While the kids were great and I loved working with them, the master teacher seemed to have some sort of problem with me. Last week of the assignment, she told me that I should redo my first assignment, that I will not survive my second assignment which required more work. She told me all of the things that I did wrong (why did you wait till the last week to tell me?) and those things had more to do with our different teaching styles. I never felt welcomed in the classroom and so I think it was hard for me to really take over or share my ideas. But what bugged me is that she didn't tell me what I should be working on until so late in the assignment. I shared my frustration, when she noticed I was a bit upset in class, to my professor. She must have told what I said to my master teacher because she sent me a letter that said, "no, I will not write you a letter of recommendation now. All you did the whole entire time was complain." I did not complain until the very last week of school and that was more to vent my frustration with what she said to me. Well, my university supervisor also noticed how this assignment was not a positive one and she didn't really care for my master teacher. She didn't agree with what my master teacher said. Luckily, my second assignment was very successful.

37. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Jul 18, 2008

Based on my experience STing, I almost don't want a ST ever (though that will be a long time before I have to worry about that.) I can only imagine how hard it is to give up your classroom and students to someone else. Many of my college peers were the types of ST that I would not want to work with b/c...well, they didn't want to work to put it bluntly!

At the same time, however, I know how important STing is and how difficult it can be. Maybe I could be the CT that I wished I had had the first time around and the CT I did have the second time that was SO helpful!

38. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 18, 2008

Exactly. Imagine as a CT giving your lovely class over to someone who isn't prepared, doesn't care, or is just ill-suited for the job.

Fortunately, 99% of the STs are wonderful to work with. Some are obviously better at it, but most are still great to work with.

39. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Wow, really? We were never allowed to be left without a teacher available. My CT didn't take a single day off in the 12 weeks I was with her, but a couple times she went to meetings that I didn't need to go to, and they had a sub came in, even if they didn't end up doing anything because I was doing the lessons. I think once they didn't have a sub for a 5th grade teacher so they pulled my CT and another CT for a 40-minute block to cover that class. It wasn't so much the school itself but it was actually a university rule - I think their thinking was that if something were to happen, the CT needed to be readily available to come back to the class right away. I guess they were worried about liability issues and whatnot. I suppose in your case the sub could have pretty easily left the library to go back to the classroom but I'm surprised the school didn't want to at least have her there to at least give you a hand since this was supposed to be your learning time!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

My CT had the flu my second week of student teaching, which launched me into center stage before I was ready. One of the subs watching me was phenomenal and gave me a lot of confidence. She was a former hostage negotiator and she taught me some great techniques. :D

The other one logged onto the computer and ignored the kids, even when a fight broke out in the classroom. I didn't trust that sub enough to take the two fighters to the office and I CERTAINLY didn't want to leave him with the kids. Instead, I sat them on opposite sides of the room with a piece of paper and ordered them to write down their versions of what had happened. This gave both kids the opportunity to vent and gave me documentation to go with the writeups. That may have been the best technique I picked up from student teaching.

I won't even get into the sub reaction when the school caught on fire at the end of that second week... :eek:

Tired Teacher likes this.
  41. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jul 19, 2008

For those about to do their student teaching, I just want to let you know that I had a great experience, so don't worry - you'll probably be matched with someone fabulous. :)

My master teacher was 1 yr. away from retiring, but she still was very helpful and didn't expect me to do everything...until I was ready to take over. She taught three different classes (Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Honors Geometry), and so taking on three preps while student teaching would have been hellish if she hadn't been so great!

Though I had pretty much taken over halfway through, she was gone twice and they had to hire a sub, who pretty much just got paid to sit in the back and read the paper! But my master teacher 'repaid' me by requesting me as a sub for her the next year - on days that she had a new student teacher - so that I was the one who got to sit and do nothing this time! :) well...since the ST was from my old university, I got a chance to give her lots of suggestions and advice and talk about our school!