Bad School Dreams

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by msmullenjr, Jun 28, 2011.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

Okay it is way too early in the summer for this, but I had my first back to school nightmare last night. I think it came early because I was discussing procedures and expectations the first week of school with another teacher.

So in the dream I had my class from last year again and they were awful. This was odd since in real life they were great. One of my best students was so disruptive and obnoxious. No one would listen and when I tried to call their parents the phone wouldn't work. They wrote weird stuff all over my board with SHARPIES!!!! The librarian brought over a buttload materials for a 3rd grade classroom and refused to take them back so I had to send kids to take them to the other teachers, then my whole class disappeared. I only sent four kids, but they all left!

Okay... It is waaaaaay too early for these ridiculous dreams already. hahahahaha
    Anyone else get them?

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

Haha I had a weird dream last night too... But in mine the building was falling apart (door knobs coming off in hands, etc) and I didn't know who to talk to about my problems.... Probably a sign of my nerves at starting at a new school where I don't know anyone! Haha

4. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jun 28, 2011

I had one the other night! I am switching from 5th down to 4th and I had a dream that they no longer needed me in either grade but had to keep me in the school, so I taught my same kids over again except I taught 6th grade and was the only 6th grade class in the school. The rest of the kids except for my class went on to middle school. Then on the first day the kids came in and they looked like the aged 10 years...such a strange dream!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2011

I had a really bad school dream the week after school was out. We were still at school working on units for next year, and I think my brain was on school overload. I normally don't have them until late July when I start getting my room put together.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

These are so funny. I usually get mine just before I set up my room, so this was super early for me. I also remember being horribly confused because I knew they should be in middle school and everyone kept telling me that I must have taught 5th grade last year, but I've never taught 5th so I knew it wasn't right. LOL

7. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 28, 2011

I had one last night. It was my first one this summer. I usually don't have one until August. I was the school's testing coordinator (which I'm not) and we were going over small groups. Very strange!

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

Hahahaha at least nothing bad happened.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 28, 2011

I fell asleep on the couch the other day and dreamt that I woke up to my P and another teacher standing there. I was like "how did you get in?" and they said that we were holding the parent activity at my house that evening. It was one of those times I was very thankful to wake up and realize it was only a dream!

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I wonder if teachers are the only ones who get these dreams or do other professionals have them as well?

Mine are always the worst. I had a dream that the new kinder class coming to me were horrible. They would not listen to anything. Sitting on desks and yelling.
    They are always so scary to me.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 28, 2011

I've wondered the same thing. My cousin is a nurse, I'll ask her if she has these kinds of dreams. I imagine that type of profession would.

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 29, 2011

my husband is a nurse and he has had horrible nightmares where his patients are chasing him with huge needles, catheters, etc. :lol:

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

Oh my God, that's so scary!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 29, 2011

I've had lots of bad dreams throughout the years too...usually leading up to the start of the school. I agree...kind of early...but the brain is a mysterious machine!

I used to dream that I left my kids unattended or that I didn't show up on time and there was no one for my class, that we went on a field trip and I lost them all....crazy stuff!!! :lol:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2011

Good or bad, I've never dreamt about school ever.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2011

Last week, I dreamt that it was NJHS induction and I was unprepared. I was scrambling to tell the kids what to do and get the candles ready, but we only had birthday cake candles. My honors kids were being horrible and not listening to anything I said. I sent the kids in to get started, and they were doing everything wrong; I had to go in to the giant lecture hall in front of all the parents and grandparents and make them stop and start over. That was a weird one because usually my dreams are much stranger (once, I dreamt my classroom was a cave-- another time the other teachers and I were trapped in a carniverous, man-eating minivan!)

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2011

OH MY . . . this beats all my bad dreams of showing up to school with no clothes, having to teach Chem, or not being able to find my room (which I have had the same room for 16 years) :lol: that is one scary dream

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

I have these every summer. I have already had 3 "first day back" dreams. They were awful, something or multiple things are always going wrong. One I was naked and 2 hours late. Another dream I was given every possible trouble student and the principal walked in and said, there is no extra help you have the same expectations. I had no notice, didn't find out until they walked in the room. It was chaos, I remember considering walking off the job that first day in the dream.
    Summer dreams....aaahhhh

20. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

Before I found A to Z my mom was the only person I told about these dreams. She's a teacher too and I know she has them every summer as well. Hahahahhaahahhahahha

21. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Jun 30, 2011

Yeah, I usually get 1 or 2 of these back in August/early September but for some reason I had one this week. I don't remember specific details but it was about one of my students this past year misbehaving and refusing to listen to anything I said (the funny thing is, she was very well behaved in my class. Her dad, though, was a bit difficult to deal with--so maybe I had some repressed anxiety about having her as a student that was floating around in my subconscious.)

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

I had my first bad school dream last night. My husband knew I'd had a bad dream as he heard me during the night. I assume that's when I was screaming as the class.

It was horrible. I suppose the pre-k thread yesterday got me thinking about standardized testing, so I dreamed my state implemented a change that required everyone to test of the first day of school and again at the very end. Well, because we had to test the first day I didn't have any time to introduce my expectations so it was out of control. I was yelling. They were laughing. They pushed their desks together in little groups and would just look at me every now and again as I screamed as though I was crazy and then get back to their discussions. The vice principal called and told me to have the kids at lunch a little early since the first day is always a little slow...but I got them there very, very late.

I'll spare the details, as the dream was full of them...but it was a horrible first day. :)

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

I dreamt I was reading about bad school dreams it was so real like

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

I knew I wasn't the only one who thinks NCLB is nightmare material

I hear that Stephen King's next Book is Called "Teachers' Nightmares & Dreamscapes"
    [​IMG]

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

Lets get to down to core here you'd rather be a Bering Strait crab fisherman than a teacher.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2011

I wish you guys would get out of my head and talk about your own dreams I have had almost every dream mentioned except the "carnivorous, man-eating minivan!"

Naked teaching
    Room closing in
    Trapped in a classroom
    Teaching in a dungeon
    Teaching where there were sharp tools and machines (oh that was real)
    Being attacked by angry Helicopter parents
    Having a Mom Come on to me
    Being alive at my own funeral, in a classroom, and trying to find more desks for 1,000s of students attending
    My worst student having a Hot mom that wanted to cook dinner for me
    Having to build the shop before I could start teaching in it.
    My worst principal standing outside my front door as I left for school and telling me not to come to school because it burnt down and the fire started in my shop!​

In Almost all the Dreams I woke up and thanked the nearest Supreme Being deity that it only was a dream

27. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 2, 2011

I had a dream that my soon to be sophomores were up skipping around the class singing and not listening. I can tell you I 'think' I dreamed about waitressing. I would wake up in the middle of the night and remember that table 3 needed ketchup and other things like that. I never had dreams like this when I worked as a paralegal or in a factory.

28. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 2, 2011

I have had two already! Both about not being ready. We have inservice coming up the last week of July so, I think it's the pressure of knowing my time is ticking away!

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2011

teaching, you reminded me—I already had a bad teaching dream before last night and it was also about completely unprepared.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 2, 2011

If it makes you guys feel any better, I have bad dreams about work even though I'm no longer teaching. I work in banking, in a back shop area, and I have vivid nightmares about losing people's money, being accused of breaking privacy laws, screwing up the transaction records etc. It's terrible.

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 3, 2011

While I have bad dreams about teaching experiences, I have my most vivid ones of being in HS and not being able to get my locker open.

32. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 3, 2011

I have dreams of having a class with 50 or so students and they all walk away.

Last night I just had a dream that all teachers were given a small room as office area. This was besides the classroom. I was the last one to get my office and it was a mess. There were rats coming out of holes from walls. :(

33. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 3, 2011

Here is a change. I actually for the first time ever had a good dream last night.
    I went to school to fix my classroom. I was walking all over the school trying to find a rug for my classroom. Everyone had all of these good nice rugs and I did not have one.

Then someone told me there was a rug that was covered in blood on the stairs if I wanted it. They said I needed to grab it before someone else did.

Wait...while I'm explaining this dream maybe it was a bad one. lol

But in the end I walked around the whole day looking for rugs and talking that I never had a chance to fix my room.

34. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2011

I've had dreams where the kids were out of control & the P was observing. Usually these dreams mix up kids from different classes, buildings, Principals etc. I know that I'm stressed out when I have those dreams!

I worked in a book bindery when I was in college. I would sometimes dream about binding books. . .then have to go in & work a 9 or 10 hour shift. Hmm. . .wondering if that happened the night before a route had to go out?

35. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 5, 2011

Not a bad dream but a strange one. For some reason I was teaching on the roof of the school and I was teaching the students how to fly.

36. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2011

I wanna be in that class :D

37. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

Almost any dream about school during the summer time is a bad dream. I did have one recently where I was a student, that was just interesting.

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2011

MAT, I agree with INteacher...I want to be in that class! :)

Had another one...makes my third. It was actually pretty horrible just because of the overwhelming feeling of desperation and illness. I was sick, but I couldn't imagine missing the first day, so I started to get ready anyhow. Before I know it, I'm on the verge of death and determine I just can't go in. So I try to call the school to explain my situation, but I can't. Everytime my finger would make its way down to the number on the pad I needed, I would lose all eye-hand coordination and I couldn't for the life of me dial the phone. I never did make it to school.

39. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2011

I get them pretty often, and usually I'm running late for the first day of school (I'm NEVER late!) and I arrive and the kids are horrible and the parents are all waiting for me--furious!