Bad reference is ruining my career!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mochi808, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mochi808

mochi808 New Member

Sep 16, 2016

I would appreciate any suggestions to help in this difficult situation. I worked for a private school for nine years. The last three years, I have been bullied by teacher on the leadership team along with her teacher friends. It started when I completed my graduate degree in education with an emphasis in technology. Due to high blood pressure from being bullied I had to resigned mid-year to get my health back. Here are a few incidents from the leadership teacher and her friends that led up to me resigning mid-year:

First step was to try and get all of the staff to osterize..... next step was to spread rumor that I was a bad teacher to a parent who was a personal friend of the leadership teacher, third strategies during the summer vacation leadership teacher was responsible for checking teachers textbook in the classroom and my math and language textbooks were removed. After summer vacation the 1,2 and 3rd grade teachers received 6 laptop computers and 5 desktop computers and smart boards in their classrooms.I received 5 of old desktop computers and 5 laptop computer and no smartboard. The IT director was responsible for making sure the teachers received technology equipment and you guess it the leadership teacher made sure he was her best friend. The IT teacher knew I was the only teacher from Third grade that taught powerpoint and google slides every year. The first grade teacher barely knew how to use a laptop. A this continued until for three years and my blood pressure continued to get serious. The problem is that the principal is wanting to retire and is at the school less and less; she is giving the leadership teacher more power at the school to make major decisions because she is willing to do everything the other teachers will not do. Other teacher she want she is doing and they are afraid of her.

When I resigned, I applied at another private school for a teaching position and was sent an offer letter with the salary and starting date. After three days, the HR called and resinded my offer letter. I applied at three other school with an excellent interview and did not get hired. During the summer, I met with with a teacher friend from the school I resigned at and she said someone is spreading rumors that I was fired from the school. I am so frustrated, I have my letter of resignation as a PDF file, the principal's letter to my parent on a PDF file and several letter from my teacher's evaluations with great reviews and I worked very hard to complete a graduate degree in education. I love teaching and it comes very natural to me. I have many thank you letters from my students and their families. I can only get teaching positions with a career center for substitute teachers. I am fearful that I will not be able to get a full time teaching position ever again.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2016

I'm guessing that it is someone in an administrative position at your old school is giving you a bad reference. Gossipy rumors by other teachers don't show up on job references.

Can you get a friend to pretend to be on the hiring committee for another school and call your references? If you find out that they are giving false bad reviews, then get a lawyer to drop them a letter and let them know that you will be suing if the practice continues.

4. mochi808

mochi808 New Member

Sep 16, 2016

Yes, I will ask a friend if they will do this. I did read were companies will call and pretend to be hiring you and check references which shows documentation. However, I like your idea of asking a friend to call. Thank you that is a great idea. I definitely like the idea of having a lawyer drop them a letter. I appreciate your advice and support. It means a lot at this time.

PallasAthena likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 21, 2016

An employee at my previous school got in trouble for giving a bad reference. I think there was a lawsuit. I'm not sure of the specifics but now they're only allowed to give dates that the person worked and what the job was. Hang in there!

6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 21, 2016

It's an excellent idea to ask a friend or a company to call your supervisors and ask for a reference and if they give a negative reference, retain an attorney who will drop them a letter. I have also heard that supervisors can only give dates of employment and official job title. You might want to be aware that when a new potential employer calls past supervisors, sometimes he or she asks, "Would you hire this candidate if you were given the chance to today?" and "Is there any reason why I shouldn't hire this candidate?" Maybe you can ask a friend or company to ask these questions when they call your past supervisors for references. Has anyone ever heard of questions like these being asked when potential new employers call references?

7. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Sep 22, 2016

Unfortunately, as a friend of mine recently found out, while it may be company/organization policy to only give out dates of employment, title, salary info, etc., that doesn't mean that some references might not toss in a little extra about you. If what they are saying is a matter of opinion (valid or not), especially in response to a "is this person eligible for rehire/would you rehire" type question, it's not illegal. There are also laws protecting employers in many states from this kind of situation- otherwise no one would ever give a lukewarm or negative reference for fear of legal repercussions.

My friend found out his old boss was saying that he wasn't a team player. His boss could argue, in the event of a lawsuit, that in his opinion that was true. In cases like that, my friend was told by his attorney, it's hard to make a lawsuit stick. If the reference is flat out lying, however, (by saying you were fired when you weren't) that may be a different story.

Regardless, most places want to avoid a lawsuit so a letter from an attorney may help them to limit what they say in a reference, at the very least.

8. sophomorehope16

sophomorehope16 Rookie

Sep 22, 2016

I'm on the same boat, I feel that someone at my previous school is giving me a bad reference. I have had several interviews that asked about my previous principal but none of them ever called back. I even had to drive 600 miles somewhere within my state just to seek employment so I could relocate. I essentially missed a job offer back in May due to incomplete FTCE exams and passed it only after the school started. Right now, I'm having trouble get a teaching job. I left my previous school in December which I started in October, I cannot stand the utter disrespect I get plus the lack of admin support from the AP of curriculum which once told me I told have his back. The principal ghostly disappeared after a week when I took over the class from the sub. My coach is nowhere to be found at times and my assigned mentor doesn't talk to me. I'm a first time teacher last year via an alternate route. I'm at a loss but I'm trying to keep my hopes alive despite all these frustrations in my job hunt.

9. Spayceladye

Spayceladye Guest

Dec 6, 2016

I am in the exact same boat...however, I have documentation from my evaluation stating the exact opposite of what I believe my former supervisor is telling the potential employers. It has been said multiple times that lawsuits can be brought against these people giving negative references...how is that possible if we gave permission for them to provide those references? We put the names/contact information down for potential employers to contact...we gave them permission to gather intel on us and form an opinion on whether to hire us or not. Yes, we are sometimes (most times) required to give our current or previous supervisor, ones who have observed and/or supervised our teaching and are in that catch-22 situation. I guess that's where I am now. I had to put my supervisor down because she is the only one who has ever actually observed my teaching. She evaluated me, gave me high marks, and now is (presumably) giving me references in direct contradiction to those marks. Can someone tell me what can legally be done to rectify that situation? I know I can't go back and get the jobs I missed out on, but maybe it can prevent it from happening in the future?

10. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Dec 7, 2016

I've found that some of the least professional and morally bankrupt individuals fall into education and graduate to positions of power. These tend to be self-serving individuals who never entered education with any notion of making the world a better place or serving others. They want only to serve themselves.

So, yes, talk to a lawyer first. Get advice on how to ask the questions that reveal outright lies. Have a friend solicit a reference, and take legal action against defamation.

Snakes belong underfoot, and it is the providence of the upright to accommodate them.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2016

Mochi- I'm sorry for what happened to you. Administration in my area are limited in what they are 'allowed' to say when called for references, but there is definitely a "read between the lines" effect when a P confirms employment versus highly recommending a person.
    That said, your posts are rife with spelling and grammatical errors. Make sure you proofread or have a friend proofread any written communications, resumes, cover letters you send to prospective districts.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 8, 2016

Mochi hasn't been on this forum since October and probably won't see any suggestions.

Spayceladye, if you are positive that this particular supervisor has been costing you work and you have documentation that she is giving false information, you have grounds to speak to a labor attorney to decide further steps to take. The toughest part is making a direct connection between her words and other people's actions.

13. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Dec 8, 2016

Definitely set the record straight on your Facebook or Linked in profile. There is a lot of fake news going around at the moment. People believe the most outlandish things.