bad observation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Dec 4, 2013.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 4, 2013

Just had my post conference earlier today. Although I didn't do badly I guess. I had quite a few things in the developing category. While I am only a second year teacher, and first year teacher in middle school.... I am kind of bummed about it. Just one of those days where my mind starts to wonder about alternative careers instead of teaching......

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2013

What sorts of things do you need to work on?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2013

Don't let one observation deter you from continuing to teach if that is what you truly want to do. What were some areas you were 'developing' in? Maybe we can help.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 4, 2013

I think many of us have those days. But then you'll have a day where you can't imagine being part of a better career.

In which areas did they say you needed to "develop"?

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 4, 2013

I don't have a copy yet, but mostly it was in lesson delivery. It just really bummed me out because I started off the day with some great plans for the future, then I met with the principal and it ruined the day lol.

It was things that I think I could fix, and I knew ways that I could improve the way that I taught the lesson etc. I am still learning etc and I know that I will not be anywhere near perfect....but still a little upset about it.

There is some days when I think I could do nothing else. Then there are days that I think I could do anything else instead of teaching haha.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 4, 2013

The bright side, and there is a bright side, is that you have time and room to improve so much that your end-of-year review will be fantastic!

Talk with your principal and see if you can mentor and plan with a more experienced teacher in the school, maybe even one in the high school. Perhaps you can ask about taking a professional development class that will count toward your certificate renewal. Taking those initiatives will work wonders for your development, and your principal will take note of the effort.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2013

It's possible your principal might be giving a lot of teacher developing at this point in the year in order to get them to look at ways they could make their teaching even better. Pick one or two things to focus on, read up on what you need to do to move into effective. Hopefully those one or two things will go better in the next observation. You'll improve, and then you can focus on anything else that is still developing. Developing isn't necessarily a bad thing at this point in the year for a 2nd year teacher. Keep working at it.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 4, 2013

Hugs!! Although I could make you a three-page list of all the things I'm working on in the classroom, it still stings when I hear others (especially the boss) point them out. It is only when we think we are perfect that we should think about leaving the profession-because no one is ever perfect! Again, hugs. I've had days where I just want to run to the car and cry. It will all look a lot better a few days out.

10. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 4, 2013

teacherguy...we were told in a staff meeting by the asst. superintendent last year that most all of our "under 5 year" teachers would get a "developing" on the OTES and that it is almost impossible to get an "accomplished".
    Don't take it too personally. This year is such a learning experience from everyone involved, especially the administrators. They are also under OTES too, and I know it took weeks for me to have my post conference-my P was so busy!
    OTES will most likely undergo major changes in the next year or so...that is so typical Ohio.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 4, 2013

Knitter63 is right. Even I missed a couple of little things in my first formal evaluation of the year, and I'm in my sixth year. It gives room for growth and improvement. As long as you aren't in the "totally stinks" category, you're fine.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2013

It's only your second year, and your first in middle school. I think you have to give yourself a break.

I know we all envison ourselves as a combination of Mr. Chips and Sidney Porteir's "Sir"-- but the reality is that it takes YEARS to really become a solid teacher. The learning curve is tremendous.

But the good thing is that, like toddlers, tremendous strides take place in the early years. Look back to a year ago, and think of how very much stronger a teacher you are than you were last Christmas. A year from now, you'll be far better than you are today.

And observation jitters probably didn't help, any more than the "Omigod, it's almost Christmas" feeling that the kids all experience after Thanksgiving.

So take the criticisms seriously. Work hard on being the very best teacher you can be. But realize that "the very best teacher you can be" in your second year probably isn't the standard you have in your head of Superteacher. And that's OK. You'll get there.

The ones who make great teaching look easy can only do so because they have the experience of many years behind them.

13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 5, 2013

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Feel a little better about it today. I already knew I have a lot to improve on etc... but don't like hearing it from someone else haha.

I have heard that the new OTES evaluation system is a lot harsher than before. Although my evaluation and student growth is linked to a bonus, I am not really bothered about the money, more just about self confidence etc.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 5, 2013

I am a third year teacher, and I will be happy if I get developing! Then again, RESA has made me numb to evaluations...so I see OTES as no big deal while everyone else is freaking out.

I had my first observation exactly a week ago. No post-conference yet!

15. smithereyenes

smithereyenes Rookie

Dec 5, 2013

Sorry about the eval. I hate that teachers are critiqued so harshly when we pour so much of our own time and money into our students. It also stings because we are held to such a standard but when we want to do the same for our students, we can't. We have to have interventions and make accommodations and multiple chances to retest and even if they blow all those opportunities, we STILL can't fail them.) Just not fair.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 5, 2013

We are doing a trial run of OTES this year. Honestly I haven't noticed a difference. We used the Danielson (sp?) model before. This seems like less work TBH. We do more walk throughs with the new eval. Fine by me!

BumbleB, I can't even get someone to register me for RESA. They keep saying I'm registered but I'm clearly not!

17. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 5, 2013

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is RESA?

18. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Dec 5, 2013

There are a few teachers I know of in my system that received developing in some areas, and they have been teaching for ten years or more.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2013

Not stupid. I have no idea either.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

While OTES is a beast (although changes were just approved this week!), I think it is totally unfair for admin to say newer teachers would likely be developing.

I went to the three- day admin training as an association rep, and they told administrators to start with Skilled, and then move up or down.

Read the rubric carefully, document so you can share evidence of things they can't possibly see in the little time they are in the room, and be prepared to respectfully point out discrepancies you see.

We are in full implementation this year as we are in RttT, but I'm not sure every school will finish, especially as our first semester ends before Christmas. I know in my small building several teachers have not been observed.

Good luck!

21. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2013

RESA is Resident Educator Summary Assessment. In Ohio, teachers start with a 4-year Resident Educator license.

I think it would be totally acceptable for an educator (especially a 2nd year educator in his first year in a new area) to be developing in some areas. I'm in my 15th year and, in my mind, I'm still developing in several areas with all of the new things that are thrown at us. I actually rated myself Developing in some of the areas on the OTES rubric.

22. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 6, 2013

RESA is only the final two years right? When you have to complete the tasks and send them off to ODE.

I am in year two of the resident educator program also. Year 1 and 2 are pretty easy..... year 3 and 4 are a lot of work, my wife is in year 3. And it doesn't help that ODE has no clue what each year will look like until it actually starts.

23. ravinraven

ravinraven Companion

Dec 6, 2013

I am, but I'm a born worrier. I'm an online coordinating teacher for a relatively new program (2012-2013 was it's first year) and do not do any direct instruction unless a student comes in for tutoring, which is rare. Looking over the program, there are so many things that don't apply to what I do, but am expected to demonstrate proficiency in. How can I show my classroom management skills when I don't get to see my students face-to-face? It doesn't help that my assigned mentor is a school improvement consultant who doesn't like our program. He hasn't contacted me or come to introduce himself, despite working in the same building.

OTES seems to take everyone with a 4 year resident educator license, which could include classroom teachers, online teachers, tutors, ELL/ESL instructors, coaches, administrators etc. and tries to paint them all with the same brush. I can see what it's trying to accomplish, but I have my doubts about it's efficacy.

24. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2013

Ravinraven, perhaps the rubric for Licensed Support Professional would be more applicable to your position than the Teacher rubric.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 6, 2013

I am not saying that a teacher, no matter how experienced, might not be developing in some categories, but I thought the statement by knitter's (?) administrator was misleading as to how the process should work.

26. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Dec 6, 2013

I think they're going to end up calling the whole four year process RESA? I don't know! I'm in Year 3, and it's the same as Year 1 and 2 meaning a lot of it is just "saying what they want to hear".

And for those who were asking, RESA is Ohio's resident educator program. I knew there were a lot of Ohioans in this thread, so I forgot that some of you don't know the super cool acronyms we have :lol:

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 6, 2013

I missed the RESA by one year and was one of the last teachers to go through the Praxis III in Ohio. The residency program seems a lot kinder than a formal, one-class observation by someone you've only met once before.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 6, 2013

Couldn't agree more. I think it was said to take the stress off,and to encourage us to just teach as we have been.
    I was just told this week that OTES is changing already. In my original post, I meant to encourage teacherguy by saying that it will change, and that developing is not a bad thing.