Bad News :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by giraffe326, Feb 16, 2009.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

Today, we had a staff meeting. Our P discussed our budget proposals for next year. We have 35 schools in my district (county) and they are proposing to cut 70+ teachers. Our P already informed us we will likely lose one position. Now, we may be looking at more as some of our grades have pretty small class sizes (20 or less).
    We were also told there will likely be a pay freeze. AND, in NC there is a 'state' salary and a 'supplement' salary depending on the school system. We will likely lose our supplement salary, which will actually cut my pay $2500 a year, putting me under $31K.
    Other proposals: Insurance prices will increase 22% a month. We will have to pay for our subs if we are out. We will lose all 'classroom' money. That's just naming a few.
    Our P also made it clear that no one's job is safe. Last hired does not matter according to some policy that has been in place since the 60s. We are non-union.

So, I was already on edge before. I spend the rest of the day more so.
    And then... my P asks to see me after school. Apparently, I have had another parent complain and request their child be removed from my room. This happened earlier in the year with a child going through SpEd testing. My P went ahead and removed her and placed her into the inclusion classroom. I have had other complaints through the year- mainly homework issues (which my entire grade level has had). And another due to me hurting their child's feelings (child was consistently not doing homework and I asked if they wanted to be in 5th grade again next year. Apparently that was traumatic for the child, however, nothing has changed).
    So, then we got to discussing my last observation last week. I was told everything went well while I was teaching, however, I lost half the class when I asked them to take their books out. Well, they do have to practice, don't they? :banghead:
    And then, she goes into how my test scores can no be as bad as they were last year. I KNOW this and I am TRYING everything. She then sums it up and tells me that I will not have a position if my scores come back bad again :(:(:(:(:(:(

I am ready to go find a non-teaching job. However, with unemployment rates, that is not likely right now. I hate my life. :|

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 16, 2009

Reading your post made me sick to death over my own job, too. Here in my NC district we are just as bad off. I'm in my first year, so I'm terrified of being cut.

I just moved into a house this weekend, and I chose a cheap 2 bedroom specifically so I could rent out the other room with a roommate just incase.

I'm feeling your pain.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

I'm sorry, giraffe.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 16, 2009

:hugs:That's a lot to be stressed about!!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2009

:hugs: giraffe.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 16, 2009

Giraffe,
    A couple of questions:

--You said your test scores were not good last year. What specifically have you been doing differently this year that will result in higher test scores?

--What subjects are the tests given in for 5th grade in NC? (Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies, Writing...??)

--When are the tests given?

--When will the results be back?

--What test taking resources do you have avaiable at your school or that you are already using?

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 16, 2009

Are you seriously considering a non-teaching job, or were you just venting? What job?

9. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

This is why I am proud to be a union member. This is when your union stands behind you. Yes, there could very well be cuts in my school district but if so we have a seniority list. We also are not let go because of low test scores. I have a negotiated contract that states what can and cannot be done. I have a formal grievance committee if things get tough. It is in times like these that I do not mind paying $32 per paycheck towards my dues. I hope things work out for you.

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 16, 2009

Bball,
    In NC and Va it isn't a matter of "choosing" to be in a union. Unions are not permitted by law. We have associations (which have the same names suce as NEA) but they do not have the power a union has. They only have the power given to them by the school districts themselves. They aren't even allowed to participate in contract negiotiaton or pay scales unless the district decides to allow it -- and even then, the districts don't have to deal with them or go along. They have no real power in "right to work" states.

I pay my association dues each month -- which comes to around $450 per year to belong to my association because of the insurance they provide in case we get sued by a student or parent, but other than that, they have no power here. They are great advocates for us in general terms, but it is not the same as in a union state.

11. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

Rainstorm - Perhaps I worded my post the wrong way. What I meant to say is that I feel fortunate that I am in a union and am afforded many protections. I have read past posts where people stated that they felt belonging to a union was not in their best interest or it was not worth the money. I think with what is occurring in many school districts being a union member (actually I belong to three, my local, state NYSUT, and NEA) is to your advantage.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 16, 2009

bball,
    I get you now! I agree about belonging. Even though our association is not a union, I think they do many good things for teachers in our state, and I am proud to be a member, too. With the bad economy, a lot of teachers cancelling their memberships. I think that is a big mistake. In times like this, you need someone on your side even more. :)

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

--You said your test scores were not good last year. What specifically have you been doing differently this year that will result in higher test scores?

Oh- I have been doing everything different. I am already reviewing and practicing test-taking skills. Last year, I was naive and thought they'd just do well because I was NOT teaching to a test. Changed my mind :whistle:

--What subjects are the tests given in for 5th grade in NC? (Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies, Writing...??)Math, Science and Reading

--When are the tests given?Mid-May

--When will the results be back?The following week because of retesting

--What test taking resources do you have avaiable at your school or that you are already using? Blast Off books, about 5 Buckle Down books for math and new NC specific books coming soon. I have also been pulling generic reading comprehension bubble passages that we practice in small groups every week. Then, on Friday, I give them an independent one.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

A little bit. I MOVED here to teach so I can not really stand the thought of being in the same boat I was in in MI. *sigh* I just don't know. Right now is not the time to look for ANY job :(

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

Thanks for the sympathy.

What terrifies me the most is my P said we may not know until August if we are to be laid off or not :eek:

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 16, 2009

No, now is def. not the time to look for any job. I've been applying to jobs outside of the teaching world-what a joke. I can't get a single interview, and I have a lot to offer and a lot of connections! It's tough everywhere.

17. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

giraffe - check charter/private schools in the area (there are tons), there are at least 3 job fairs that i know of coming up. even if your district is cutting back that doesnt mean there wont be a job somewhere local, people move to other areas.

And being from MI as well... its still better here.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 16, 2009

Giraffe,
    It sounds like you are doing all the "right things" to bring your scores up. Hang tight! Those things should help quite a bit.

There are tons of job fairs in NC right now, so if you aren't still a member of teachers-teachers.com, join again -- because I get tons from them. I always stay on there so I know when all the districts have their job fairs.

Even though we hope for the best (and I do hope for the very best for you) always plan just in case the very worst happens.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 16, 2009

Sounds like you are doing a lot to make sure the kids are learning and learning how to test! Good for you. You sound very organized. I'd like to pop your P. a good one - lost half the class when you asked them to get out their books! What? Does she want you to scream like a Nazi "Get your !@#! books out and I mean now. Don't talk to your friend! Don't get in your backpack! Don't stretch! BOOKS OUT NOW!" Makes me mad.

I have 1/2 of my class constantly wandering out to Never land! I have to start singing directions in an opera voice to get their attention! Maybe try that next time!

Anyway, to protect yourself, take the advice offered here. Go to job fairs, check out the private schools in the area, etc. Get something else lined up for yourself and I would say, if you are not offered a contract by the end of the school year and someone else offers you one, take the one offered! Then let that P. figure out what she is going to do to fill your spot in August! So there.

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2009

good advice has been given; just wanted to send:hugs::hugs: hang in there

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2009

Your post made me smile :)
    I spend a half hour after school with another teacher in the computer lab pulling up other districts. We teach in the crappiest county around- score wise, funding wise, policy wise, etc... We are actually considered a failing county. And, we are surrounded by great counties (and we both live outside of the crappy county we teach in). I was just waiting for someone to come in and see us :lol:

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 17, 2009

I feel for you! :hugs: Having to wait until Aug. is awful & the jobs will be gone by then! Also if you have personal stuff in your room you'll have to pack it all up. :(