Bad News and Nervous - Need Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Xidous003, May 22, 2012.

1. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 22, 2012

I was told today that there would not be money in the budget for my job next year. I was told I could either resign or they would have to put in the paperwork to not hire me due to the budget. :help:

I have a job offer at another school district, but it is only verbal. I have to wait a week to get the actual, written offer. Here are my two questions, because I am mega paranoid at this point.

1. Is it better to resign or be let go due to budget reasons?

2. Has anyone ever heard of a verbal offer being rescinded or taken back?

They want a decision ASAP. I need some advice on what to do.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

I would check into your unemployment laws to make sure that if you need to collect it that you can if you resign. I think that if you can explain either to a potential employer, you will be fine.

I have heard of a few people who were promised a job and then ended up not getting the job...so be careful until you sign the contract.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

I would imagine the better bet would be to allow them to release you due to budget issues. But I'm not an expert in this stuff. :)

I had a verbal offer where I student taught, but I couldn't let other opportunities pass me by while I waited for paperwork. She couldn't tell me what grade I would be teaching or what subject but gave me her word (which didn't mean too terribly much to me) that I would have a position. I didn't wait around the find out whether she would honor or word because I got an offer at the school elsewhere.

Best wishes!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 22, 2012

Wait the week.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Why are they in such a rush for your resignation?

I personally would rather have the budget issue be the reason for not being rehired over a resignation. Easier to explain and easier to get unemployment if you need it, as far as I know.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 22, 2012

I think "let go due to budget" sounds way better than resigning. Resigning makes it seem like you have something to hide or would have been terminated due to performance. With this economy, schools know that lots of people are getting cut due to budget. Especially since if this really is just a budget cut, your P should have no problem providing a reference and verifying that to anyone that calls.

Yes, I have heard the horror story of a verbal offer rescinded on here a couple of times (don't know anyone who this has happened to IRL), but I don't think it's a major concern to worry about. Why do you have to wait a week to get the offer?

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 22, 2012

I can't see any benefits to resigning really.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

I was pink slipped due to budget... I just let it be that.... so we could get the unemployment as well....

I know if I tell someone I was let go because of budget and being low man on the totem pole I usually get and "Oh that stinks."

10. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 22, 2012

They would have to perform something called a non-reelect which means they let me go for no reason. A lot of district applications ask if you have ever resigned in lieu of non-reelect. I want to avoid that.

Here is the unofficial story. A person at my school said I was being 'pushed out' in favor of someone who needed a job (this person was off the record). The plan from what I hear is to let me go for 'budget reasons' then move some money around and hire this person right before school starts.

I am so angry I can't even describe my feelings at the moment.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

UGH... that sounds awful!!! I hope that is not true!!!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Well, good riddance to them. I think I'd rather sub than work for a school like that!

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Sounds like something we would do. Horrible.

14. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 22, 2012

I'm angry and depressed. I see this 'budget' issue as BS. I just don't know if fighting will do any good.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 22, 2012

Something similar happened to me too. Funny thing is, that person ended up teaching at another school in her favorite grade, fourth, whereas I taught fifth. So, they ended up hiring a brand new teacher. Who was later pink slipped. :confused: ugh. That school is such a mess.

Anyways, if I were you, I wouldn't resign. Let them non-reelect you. That way, you can still collect unemployment and schools will understand. But do not give them the satisfaction of resigning. There is life after nonreelection. There have been threads on here about that. Under reason for leaving, say that it was budget issue.

Sorry you have to go through this.

16. Ross

Ross Comrade

May 23, 2012

Do not resign. They need to let you go for budget reasons. In my state resigning means a big fight to get unemployment benefits.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

I would wait it out.

Resigning makes it look like it's about you. Having the job disappear because there's no money makes it obvious that it's about them.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 23, 2012

I sure hope that this isn't the situation that you describe! That's horrible.

I know that sometimes a newer teacher will be let go in my district for a teacher who is returning from a leave of absence (maternity, sick, etc). If a teacher takes a year leave of absence, we do not hire the position as a sub. Instead we hire a teacher and then we might terminate the next year...

19. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

May 23, 2012

Wait it out a little and see if you get the other position. Meanwhile get letters of recommendation and update your resume.

I was in your shoes, I took the non-reelect and knew I could collect unemployment. I have worked continuously subbing and as an intervention teacher. Keep your chin up and know that someday they will be nothing but a memory of your teaching career. :)

20. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 23, 2012

Let them file the paperwork. They owe you that much.

21. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 24, 2012

I have talked to my union and I am going to resign in a manner that allows me collect unemployment. I have a week to wait until I hear back from this other district. I am sure the verbal offer isn't going to go through, but we shall wait and see.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

Why do you think the verbal offer won't go through?

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

Why did the union tell you to resign?

24. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 24, 2012

The union told me resigning looks better than being non-reelecting. I can resign at the end of the school year and if anyone asks then give a reason for doing so.

As for the verbal offer, I was given the offer two weeks ago and told paperwork couldn't be processed until the end of the month. I'm just really, really nervous is all :-(

25. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 24, 2012

The best decision I made when in the same situation three years ago was to be non-reelected -- protect unemployment benefits.

When is the end of the school year for you?

26. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 24, 2012

I had a verbal offer fall through --- there is life after non-reelect