Bad memories of your childhood affect you now?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by HWilson, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

OMG--Were we in the same class? I can remember this teacher sending me to the board in 4th grade to show everyone how NOT to do a problem. I had to copy my wrong answer on the board and then stand there in front of the class while she explained to everyone what I did wrong. And she would say such sarcastic things like, "Oh-look! This is my favorite mistake that Elocin made...." I was so upset I don't think I could have answered 2+2 if you asked me right then.

2. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

I had a miserable year in grade four... I'm sure my teacher (if she's still teaching... I suspect I may have scared her out of the field) would be shocked that I'm a teacher now. I remember her telling my mother that I should just be expelled. I also remember throwing up in her purse... but that was in May, so that wasn't the cause of the problems :lol:

The Vice Principal and I spent a LOT of time together that year, and HE is the reason I got into education. I want to be a role model like he was to me... looking back, I think he really took me under his wing, and without letting me know, he was protecting me from my nutjob of a teacher (not that I was innocent in all this, of course... but still)

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 9, 2011

My 3rd grade teacher never learned to say or spell me name correctly! :mad: My name is a little unusual (1/2 of my name is from my mom and 1/2 from my dad)...but not that difficult(especially for someone that went to college for 4 years). :p As a teacher I am now always very sensitive with how to spell & pronounce names.

4. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I despised my Kindergarten teacher: she was mean, always yelling at me. Honestly, I was not a well-behaved child in Kindergarten, but I was also incredibly bored and she never gave me work to challenge me. (My school's response was to put me in a first grade classroom, but that lasted for 2 weeks. Academically, I was fine, but I was way too immature.) I remember talking to my friend when we were supposed to stand quietly in line. Mrs. B then yells, "Lilmisses, this is exactly why no one likes you! You need to stand in line and shut up!" I had to sit during recess and spent the entire time crying. Oddly enough, I also remember exactly what I was wearing that day.

There was another incident my senior year, in calculus. One day we were going over a topic that still confused me. Before my teacher moved on to something new, he asked if anyone had any questions. I was pretty shy, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity for extra help, so I asked if we could go over one more problem. Mr. A stares at me, really annoyed, and yells, "Okay, let's just stop class so we can explain to lilmisses something that everyone else seems to understand!" My classmates were shocked.

I wouldn't DREAM of saying things like that to one of my babies! Lord knows what they hear at home...

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

4th. grade...a Mrs. Rowe. I had dropped my crayons on the floor because she was yelling at me because I had problems telling time. My best little girl friend came over to help me and Mrs. Rowe snarled at her, " SHE CAN PICK UP HER OWN CRAYONS!" I cried and cried that day.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2011

I remember being grabbed by the hair on the back of my neck in K & I had to miss snack!!! To make it worse it was a sub & her daughter ended up being one of my good friends in highschool!!!

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 9, 2011

This is a story I would love to hear more about. how in the world did it come to this?

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

Honestly, I don't remember the specifics. I suspect that if I was in grade four today, they would have said I had Aspergers... I think the effects have faded over time. I remember that on the specific day that she yelled down the hall at my mother that I should be expelled, it was because she was keeping me after school to clean my desk. I refused (as I said, I was far from an angel!) and eventually my mother came up looking for me, wondering why I hadn't come down yet. She was greeted by me storming out of the room, and my teacher yelled down at my mother that I should just be expelled. I remember being ecstatic at the thought of being expelled, but my poor mother wanted to crawl into a hole.

One other time, I remember reaching for a book on the bookshelf for independent reading time, before the bell had rung. I put my knee up on her reading chair, in order to reach the book... she sent me to the office. (Actually, she told me to wait outside the office... which I took to mean in the hall... looking back, I'm pretty sure she wanted me to wait in the main office outside the principal's office.)

The throwing up thing was a completely separate matter... we went to the Ontario Science Centre for a field trip... I didn't want to tell my parents I wasn't feeling well, because I really wanted to go. We were doing a unit on space, and so we went into this little amphitheatre where a guy was talking about orbits... everything was going in circles... I threw up all over her purse. I was so upset that I didn't get to stay for the rest of the trip...

9. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Too many to name, but I did have a professor in college who tried to sabbotage me my last semester.

She was very racist and told me a student like myself (black) wasn't smart enough to get into graduate school, and thought I should choose a different profession because she didn't think I should be teaching "our" (as in white) children.

That had to be one of the most evil things a teacher/professor has ever said to me, cause to this day I still remember her exact words, but it has motivated me to never let other people discourage me.
    I'm tempted to let her know how my career has been going so far. :)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

Oh, I would! And I would include a picture, just in case she's forgotten.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2011

Oh I would, too, and show your happy students in the picture as well!

I'll confess, I "accidentally" e-mailed a response confirming my reservation at a teacher of excellence recognition ceremony to my old principal who hated me instead of the school secretary. They have very similar names, so it was (well, could have been) an honest mistake.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

No bad childhood memories here. All I'll say is that when I was in school, I never even dreamed of behaving the way a LOT of these kids do today. I went to a private school & if I behaved even a quarter of the way these kids do, I would have been expelled so fast!

When I 1st got into teaching, that's the thing that surprised me the most that I have to get used to...kids' bad behavior. Maybe I'll never really get used to it. I'm probably seem strict or evn mean to a lot of kids. Why? Because I expect the same behavior that I had when I was their age. If I could do it, so can they.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2011

But we're not really talking about the bad behavior of kids-unfortunately, more the bad behavior of teachers.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2011

kcjo13, yeah, I know we're not talking about behavior in this thread. I added more to my 2nd paragraph above by the way. :)

15. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

I don't remember anything that bothered me, but your chair story reminded me of my funny chair story. While my first grade teacher was teaching, for some reason I tried to climb up through my chair from the back through the frame and got stuck half way. I didn't want the teacher to know so I positioned myself as if I was sitting normally. But I think the teacher knew and she started asking me to do things. Finally she asked me to stand up and I did with the chair stuck around my stomach. The rest of the class loved it, the teacher handled it well and I felt like a hero.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2011

Ms.I, I think you missed kcjo's point.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 10, 2011

Yikes, some of these stories are just ridiculous. And sad.

I had pretty good experiences with teachers. I didn't really like my 4th grade teacher. I remember one time she yelled at me in front of the entire class for being out of my chair. She told me to sit down and stay in my chair or she was going to get a seat belt to keep me there. I don't remember what I was doing out of my chair, but I was always the perfectly-behaved student, so when she yelled at me I almost started crying.

18. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Aug 10, 2011

Wow, these are harsh y'all. I will say that I personally know that childhood experiences will effect your teaching for years. Hopefully not through an entire career, but I do not know.

As a child, I always had wonderful teachers that I clinged to because I had more problems at home than in school. My parents split when I was very little, and I was always in the middle. Then both of their parenting styles included some kind of violence, so I have always found great comfort in my teachers and being at school.

Today as a teacher, I always think back to how kind many of my high school teachers were and how they helped me out. I had teachers buying me lunch and supplies, one even bought me clothes. So I always try to make sure all of my students are well and don't need for anything. I do have to be careful of what teachers can know and what they can't, but I am there for my students if any of them ever need anything. With parents these days....you really just never know.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

The only bad memory I really have is from first grade--we were working on some type of crossword puzzle, and my neighbor (Pammie--can't believe I remember her name, as she moved the next year!) kept asking me for the answers. After trying to ignore her, I finally told her to leave me alone. I was the one who got in trouble. :(

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 10, 2011

I really never had any really bad school memories.

My 7th grade science teacher made me write "I must learn to keep my big mouth shut" 100 times for talking . . . which I wasn't doing. The two people next to me were talking, and I had bent over to get something out of my bag. She saw me leaned over and assumed I was talking. That was really funny because I never, ever talked in class.

I ended up working with her for years, and I did remind her of it one day. She remembered that I was really quiet, but she never remembered the statement writing.

My poor DH doesn't have a single good memory of school. I feel bad for him. Even my one "bad" thing wasn't all that bad.

21. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

:toofunny: I had a student that happened to this year!!

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 10, 2011

I had no major problems with any of my teachers, until I went to college. I talk with a lisp, but I have never made a big deal of it. I went to speech classes, and once my teeth were fixed, the lisp has subsided. Well, one of my education professors did not like me. I wasn't gifted, and she only liked the "gifted" students. She came to observe me in my cooperating teacher's classroom during to a spelling test. I had to give the word "church", which is difficult for me for me to pronounce without hearing my lisp. She got up, walked over to the cooperating teacher and said "do you really think she will make it in education? Can the kids really understand her?" I was horrified. The cooperating teacher-a wonderful person and teacher-looked right at her and said, "well,my class is learning and they love her. I think she will be just fine."
    I cannot forget those words from her, and I am very conscious of what I say to students.

23. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 10, 2011

I had a terrible 4th grade teacher. She was verbally abusive to all students in the class thats when she was there. She missed a ton of school and I do believe one of her children had some health problems but that didn't give her the right to come to school and act like that. I nearly failed fourth grade because of her. She had us grade each others papers and the person that would grade mine marked problems that were right wrong. My mom went through all my papers and confronted her about it and she said I must of changed my answers. You could tell there was no eraser marks on the pages. My mom started checking all my papers and making copies. When my mom went in to have a conference she asked what she could do to help me at home and the teacher's reponse was "I don't know."

That is why I never plan to have students grade each other's work.

24. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 10, 2011

Isn't having students grade each others work against FERPA?

I actually had a good fourth grade teacher, but my fifth grade teacher... She hated me. And the reason she hated me? Because she didn't like my older sister. I'll never forget that we once had to read a book and write a book report over it. I worked really hard on mine and turned it in. She decided it was too good for me to have written and I must have copied it from the back cover of the book. She then read it to the rest of the class and let them decide if it was plagiarized. Of course, I bunch of ten and eleven year olds aren't going to disagree with the teacher, so they voted yes. I received an F on a paper I worked really hard on.

The kicker though is that writing that paper wasn't outside of my documented abilities. I was able to read when I was three. I maxed out the scale on the ITBS test. I was documented as reading on a post-high school level when I was 9. I won most outstanding reader EVERY year in elementary. I even got a special trophy from the library my sixth grade year for how many books I checked out. In both middle school and high school I got a perfect score on the state tests for reading and writing. In college, I had a perfect 4.0 in my English classes. So what made this woman think that I couldn't write a book report on my own?

Oddly enough, that year when we took the state test for reading and writing I remember her admonishing us to take her time and she said "Don't rush. I'll know if you rush. If Edward finishes before Each1Teach1, I know he probably didn't do a good job." So she was using ME as an example of a fast and efficient reader and writer. BTW, Edward was my best friend and a poor reader and writer and I remember feeling bad for him.

25. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 10, 2011

Each1Teach1, FERPA applies to college students.

The code defines "eligible student" this way:

Eligible student means a student who has reached 18 years of age or is attending an institution of postsecondary education.

As the quote suggests, FERPA also only applies to post-secondary institutions, not to grade schools.

When I taught college all three institutions permitted students to edit and score work in class as part of the educational experience. What was prohibited was posting grades or leaving student work in the hall (ie, a box full of papers you paw through to find your own). I think FERPA probably *should* make student grading a problem, but no one seemed to think so at those institutions.

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2011

Starting in third grade and ending in either eighth grade or slightly into ninth grade, I was tormented relentlessly. Everything you can imagine, from kicking to name-calling with expletives to jeered at to cursed at to spat at or to things thrown at me or sprayed at me, it happened. I was tormented in Gym in middle school, especially, with extremely inappropriate questions. I feel very fortunate that I was naive and focused on my academics because that's what got me through. Until high school when somehow people suddenly accepted me for my quirks, I had only a handful of friends in vast schools or classes. Now even in adulthood, there are people who understand me and those who simply don't. It affects my teaching a little because I feel horrible when kids are left out or bullied. I am definitely a strong, courageous person, but I have been through a lot to get to this point. A lot of times where I second-guessed and underestimated my capabilities.

27. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

In grad school, my professor who supervised our learning disabilities student teaching harassed me all through my observation, asking me "What is the purpose of that? Why are you doing that?" while I was reading a book to the kids who were there as the buses were still arriving. I hadn't even started my lesson yet.

The only thing that she thought was useful was phonics drill, because she was the author of a phonics drill program. Once I was using that, she gave me a B+ on my observation.

This has affected my teaching because I learned that day that ideology is worthless compared with responsiveness to children.

28. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

FERPA also applies to grade schools and secondary schools, because we have to complete FERPA training every year. It merely is interpreted differently for students under the age of 18.

29. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

Thanks, each1teach1, I looked again and I see what you mean. The rights apply to parents before 18 and to students afterward.

But the question then becomes whether grading in class is within the parents' right to keep "educational records" private. I think that would be a hard question to answer, don't you?

The statute allows for things like grades to be shared as long as there is an educational purpose and the person has a reason to know. So could a teacher argue that sharing grading helped students learn to edit and was therefore a valuable exception to keeping grades confidential? It seems as though a ton of teachers here have students swap papers, and on the APUSH listserv people talk about doing the same.

This is the text I read that explains parental rights. They have the rights relating to: "access to their children's education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of personally identifiable information from the education records." Pretty ambiguous, don't you think? I'm not sure what "personally identifiable information" would be in this context.

30. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

OK, more research finds that the Supreme Court says peer grading is fine:

"Peer-grading (Owasso Indep. Sch. Dist. No. I-011 v. Falvo, 534 U.S. 426 (2002)). Under FERPA a school may not disclose a student’s grades to another student without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible student. “Peer-grading” is a common educational practice in which teachers require students to exchange homework assignments, tests, and other papers, grade one another’s work, and then either call out the grade or turn in the work to the teacher for recordation. Even though peer-grading results in students finding out each other’s grades, the U.S. Supreme Court in 2002 issued a narrow holding in Owasso that this practice does not violate FERPA because grades on students’ papers are not “maintained” under the definition of “education records” and, therefore, would not be covered under FERPA at least until the teacher has collected and recorded them in the teacher’s grade book, a decision consistent with the Department’s longstanding position on peer-grading. The Court rejected assertions that students were “parties acting for” an institution when they scored each other’s work and that the student papers were, at that stage, “maintained” within the meaning of FERPA. Among other considerations, the Court expressed doubt that Congress intended to intervene in such a drastic fashion with traditional State functions or that the “federal power would exercise minute control over specific teaching methods and instructional dynamics in classrooms throughout the country.” The final regulations create a new exception to the definition of “education records” that excludes grades on peer-graded papers before they are collected and recorded by a teacher. This change clarifies that peer-grading does not violate FERPA. No changes from the NPRM."

31. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 11, 2011

I'm not against peer-grading. In fact, from time to time my students do it when it would create too much paper work for me (e.g. end of the semester review packets). I have them grade them and mark how many were wrong, but I don't tell them the grades or even how many problems there are in total. I collect them, I put the grade on it myself and then enter it into the gradebook. Then I hand them back myself so no one else sees them except the student.

The part that I was questioning was telling the grader what the earned grade was and announcing the grade to the class.

32. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

The quote actually addresses that.

Apparently, the Court ruled that a grade does not become a "maintained record" (the words in FERPA) until the teacher records it. So students can grade one another and they can call out the grade to the teacher.

I'm still unsure about peer-grading. I had a student last year who found the whole idea really scary. In the end I abandoned it because the anxiety it would cause him wasn't worth the time savings for me. But I bet he wasn't the only one - just the most open about his reaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.