Bad Kids

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 7, 2002

I am done! I am a 4th grade special ed teacher at a public school in Ohio. I had 3 horrible kids. Two of them have changed drastically and it is wonderful. The one that is left has taken the "bad" responsibility on his own. He is just a jerk. I have given detentions, both after school and lunch, I have talked to his parents, several times. I have sent him to the principal several times. Nothing seems to phase him. He could care less about being good. He was a big jerk today and tried to cheat on a PRACTICE spelling test. It was practice...it meant nothing, yet he wanted to cheat. When I took his paper from him, he made a huge scene. I just want to grab him by the shoulders and shake him. I know I can't do that and NEVER would, but he needs something. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do that would make hime be good? I have a token economy and he don't care one bit about it, until it is time to spend his tokens. Then he wants everyone to feel sorry for him because he has the least amount of tokens. What do I do now?
    HELP ME PLEASE!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Feb 13, 2002

Teaching is not easy! You know this. I taught for many years and found that discipline was the hardest part of my job. There are many suggestions I can give you about the child you speak of but you sound like someone who might want to consider a change of careers. There is no shame in getting out of a very difficult field where the pay is low and the support is limited. Being frustrated is not a way of life that i would recommend.

4. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Feb 26, 2002

Do you have a special education degree?? If not, you may be over your head. Sometimes, it is necessary to have special rewards for different children. Find out what is important to this specific child and help him to be successful to earn this reward. I would try not to send him to the principal if possible. He may actually enjoy the negative attention. Sometimes special ed. kids (as with all children) come from rough homes. Any attention is better than none at all. They only change when they know you truly care and the reward is something they care about.

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Feb 26, 2002

P.S. It is probably impossible for him to be good long enough to earn tokens. His reinforcement needs to be more immediate.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 20, 2002

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Jul 30, 2002

How long have you been teaching? It sounds like you may not have learned yet that all children can be treated fairly, just not the same. Your program may not be effective for this child. Try doing something different for him. And please dont' tell me this is not your plan or the other kids won't understand. They will and he will, and you may turn around an educational life of a child. Open your mind to some new possiblities.

8. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 30, 2002

The advice given here is EXCELLENT.

The irony is that we are responding to an issue that most likely ended nearly two months ago.

That's one thing to remember about teaching- the odds are, you won't have to deal with your individual 'problems' for more than ten months!

Now you can start fresh in the fall. Good luck, and take the advice above. This kid really needed his own individual plan. Every child will work for SOMETHING- its a not-so-fun part of our job to figure to what that thing is and help the child earn it.