Bad job expereince on resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crazycatlady80, Apr 25, 2016.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

Recently, I had a really bad field experience placement. My supervising professor was very abusive and my master teacher was a close friend of hers. Though it was a valuable experience and I learned quite a bit, I had to leave the placement suddenly due medical problems brought on by stress. The professor forced me to withdraw from the course or said she said I would fail. I tried to work with her, but she refused. It is a very long story, but I will probably transfer to another credential program this fall.

Should I mention my field experience on my resume? I did learn a lot from it. Of course, I won't give my master teacher as a recommendation and I wasn't "fired," but it still didn't end well. Thoughts?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2016

When you transfer to the new program, I'm assuming you will do a new field experience? If that's the case, I would use the new experience for your recommendation. It will be more current, as well.

bella84 and PallasAthena like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2016

I think that you can probably leave it off your resume, but you may be required to list any field experiences and/or cooperating teachers on job or program applications. Be prepared for that and be ready with an explanation.

Specifically how was your supervisor abusive?

5. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

The supervising professor was abusive - not the master teacher.

6. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

I should note that this is not for a teaching job, but for an aide position. I will be applying for this job asap as well as something for the summer. I'm planning on leaving it off when I apply for a teaching position.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2016

Right, I understand. In what way was she abusive?

8. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

I discussed it on a previous thread and I really don't want to get into too many details. It is just too upsetting and I want to move on. She belittled me in front of the children and discriminated against my disability. The civil rights office on campus is looking into the matter.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2016

Fair enough. I feel like the details matter here, but I understand that you don't want to share. I wish you luck in the future.

10. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016

She told me in front of the students during one of my observations "if I had a band-aid, I would put it over your mouth to make you shut up," forced me to disclose my processing disability and then proceeded to tell me that I can't learn, despite getting an A's on my assignments. The civil rights office on campus is conducting an investigation. She also disclosed confidential information to the master teacher that was incorrect and, therefore, affected my relationship with her. When I started experiencing health problems due the stress, she forced me to withdraw from the course, threatening to fail me even though I had excellent grades. I tried working something out with her, but she refused. She has a very long history of abusing and bullying students, five out of the ten students in my field experience course is planning on filing a formal complaint. Many students have left the program because of her and I get the feeling that she isn't all that well respected in the community.