Bad Interviewer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by blondie77, Jun 27, 2009.

1. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Does anyone else think that they interview badly? I get VERY nervous, and I don't think I come across well. I am a very fun, outgoing person and I like to joke around. Can you be a little laid back in an interview? Any suggestions?

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jun 27, 2009

I get very nervous too. A couple things that have helped me is not drinking coffee/soda before the interview... it tends to make me even more anxious.

I find being extremely prepared helps ease my nerves. I read practice interview questions and think how I would answer them. Additionally, I prepare a short paragraph about myself so I know exactly what to say when they inevitably ask, "So, tell me about yourself." I also prepare a couple questions to ask when then say, "Do you have any questions for us?" Being prepare makes me feel in control of the process and gives me confidence that I truly did my best on the interview.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 27, 2009

Something that has helped me in the past is to practice talking in front of a mirror. Ask questions to yourself and see what you look like. You might even want to tape yourself until your answers seem more automatic. You want that personality to show. I wish you luck!

5. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Oh man. I am probably one of the worst at interviews! I don't know what it is. I have all these intelligent answers beforehand and then at the interview I stumble and repeat myself. The nervousness just gets to me.

For my next interview on Thursday I plan on doing a lot of practice answering questions over and over again.

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

i feel pretty confident at interviews as long as im prepared and not caught off gaurd. as soon as there's a question i dont really know how to answer i turn into a bumbling idiot! i think i try TOO hard when i dont have a clear answer and my brain works overtime and gets confused haha

7. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jun 27, 2009

Honestly- as lame as this sounds- breathing exercises really help me calm down.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2009

I think I don't get my points across as well as I would like to in interviews.

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 27, 2009

I know you probably hear this all the time, but what helps me best is to keep in mind that I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. I don't want to be at a school where I am not fond of the administration. By leveling the field, I go into interviews confident and laid back.

10. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

Thank you for all your input. I do practice questions, although I have never watched myself speak in a mirror. I don't think I want to! :) I just feel I come across very "ditzy" even though I feel that I know my stuff for being a first year teacher. Has anyone ever been told they do not interview well or said something wrong in an interview? Thanks for all the feedback!:)

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 27, 2009

I suggest purchasing Adam Waxler's book on interviewing which is advertised on here. You can even search the topic thread to find what others thought of the book. I personally believe it helped me land my job. I had read different books but still really struggled with interviewing until I read his book. His book has great info!!!:D

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 27, 2009

I taped myself last year. I was going on many interviews but no offers. It really helped me to focus on making eye contact, smiling, decreasing hand gestures, posture (it counts!) and enthusiasm. You might want to give it a try.

13. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 27, 2009

Oh man....am I needing this topic!! The interview I went on in May was really bad on my end. I've only been on a couple of interviews EVER, and that one was my first teaching interview. Normally, I feel I do great at conversation, but when that interview came around, I was a bumbling MESS! I just pray I'll get another interview, and I'll go into it more prepared, less anxious, and more confident.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 27, 2009

If it makes you feel any better, the people doing the interviews get nervous too. My sister and I were just discussing this the other day (we have a house full of people who need jobs). In her last job, she was responsible for hiring, and she HATED doing interviews. She always got all nervous and wasn't ever sure what to ask and wound up just reading off a script. She always second guessed herself and gave the interviewee the benefit of the doubt, since she thought that they were feeding off of her nerves and not doing as well as they could.

15. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jun 27, 2009

OKay so I GET SO NERVOUS to the point that I'm like SHAKING..but my first interview I ever went to...my first year of teaching..there were 18 candidates interviewed and I got the job....

The second time..I moved to florida....went on just a tour of a school with no formal interview..30 minutes later I was called up and offered a job (before the economy went crazy)

Now I've just moved back to my hometown in IL and I'm applying in my DREAM SCHOOL....I GET SO CRAZY CRAZY NERVOUS...but I think I almost become UNBELIEVABLY bubbly when I go into my interviews and I'm nervous....I use a lot of hand gestures (which you guys are saying not to..) becuase I just don't think or worry about those sort of things....and at times I feel like I almost go off on a tangent on certain subjects/ topics because i'm SO INTO/passionate about certain areas when they ask me questoins.....I feel like THAT MIGHT BE what catches their attention though.... I went through a first round interview and they interviewed 20 candidates, and got a call back saying they wanted a 2nd "final" interview with me.

I don't know how the final interview went. It felt good..even though I WAS VERY VERY VERY NERVOUS at that one as well. I'm saying..just be YOURSELF. They liked my honesty when certain questions came up and I "didn't know" the correct answer....and then I gave them the best answer I could give them...

Again..I don't know if I'LL get the job..or someone else..but I think some interviewers don't want "robots"..they want you to show your personality.

16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 27, 2009

This is what helped me. I think I'm very stilted and lack personality in interviews. It's weird because if you walked up to me randomly in public and said, "How do you teach writing?" I'd have a thoughtful and succinct answer with a great story, but if you asked me in an interview I would give you a truncated textbook answer and look uncomfortable. Until I watched myself and really became self aware I don't think I got over this (if I really am!)

Good luck!

17. spedtchr

spedtchr Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

I did about 4 interviews before I got this latest job, and I honestly think I did well in two and poorly in two. I always feel bad afterwards, but my opinion is that it can have just as much to do with the person asking the questions as it does with you. If you don't "mesh" well with the interviewer, you probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway. Atleast that's what I tell myself :)

18. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

That is EXACTLY what I do. I get very bubbly, start using my hands, and feel like I act goofy just because I am nervous but also because that is my personality. I, too, go off on tangents because I am excited about teaching. Good luck and let me know if you get that job!

19. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

I did purchase those books about a year and a half ago. I feel they were helpful too. I really think it is my nerves that is causing this! I am happy to hear you landed the job!

20. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Same here. In casual conversation I could tell you about almost anything! I am a new teacher, so I still have a lot to learn, but get me in an interview and I freeze. I struggle with assessment questions. How do you answer those?

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

Blondie - I have to say that throughout this interview process I have often wondered the same exact thing. When interviewers asked me on either an application or in actual interview setting questions like:
    "How would you meet the needs of a student with a learning disability?" or "How would you go about assessing your students and putting them in small groups for guided practice instruction?" or "What steps would you take if you had a student that continued to struggle even after you have tried several in class strategies, met with your peers and asked for advice, and keep careful notes on the problems that you are seeing?"

I can answer these questions because I have several years under my belt and I know how the education system works. It is basically the same no matter where you are because federal guidelines are the same. But I have often wondered, how would a first year teacher answer these and many other types of questions when they have not had the experience YET of having to go through that situation. How are you expected to know when you have not been properly trained? They don't teach that in college. Just like they don't teach Early Childhood teachers how to systematically teach reading. So, without experience, how do you answer in a way that does not make you look as inexperienced as you feel?

I believe honesty is always the best answer. After reflecting on what I would do, I think that I would say to most of the these questions, that I would go to my lead teacher or unit leader and ask his/her advice. I would then follow that advice to the letter. If the response is too general and I feel that I need more assistance, I would seek the guidance of an administrator to help guide me in making the best decision for the child. Ultimately, I want every child to feel successful and be successful and I will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal following the guidelines that the district has set up. I would say that I understand that districts have protocol that they follow in getting a child assistance with academic, behavioral, and family issues. I would ask for the correct resource person, and hound that person until the child was getting the help, or services needed to help him/her be a success in the school setting.

But like you, I have often wondered the same exact thing. How can you really know the RIGHT answer to these questions without having experienced the situation first hand. I would say those kinds of questions are unfair.

Sorry to rant. This is a BIG pet peeve about the whole hiring process.:hugs:

22. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Thank you so much for this response. This is exactly what I mean. I have one year under my belt and still feel so unsure of many things. My first year was a BIG learning experience...mainly in classroom management. I spend hours in my room, go in on weekends, and I am very dedicated. But I just don't feel I have the leg up that the others that were interviewing did. I know some of the people who were interviewing were experienced teachers who were laid off. I will use those answers that you gave me. What I did tell them was that initially I got to know the student and their readiness levels through running records, informal reading inventories, etc. I then said I kept monitoring their progress using not only those tools but just by informally watching the student. Was that ok? She asked me a follow up question after that (can't remember what it was), so I don't think she liked my answer.

As for the honesty issue, I think you are right. I flat out said, I am going to be honest with you. Being a first year teacher, classroom management was my biggest struggle. I told them how I worked on it and what I continue to do next year (Whole Brain Learning), but I said, I hope I am not being presumptuous but I feel all brand new teachers struggle with this. They said, been there done that, literally. Like I said, I get very nervous which causes me to sometimes come across as ditzy or giddy. I hate that. I leave feel like an idiot.

You are right. College did not prepare me. Student teaching somewhat prepared me. This is why I am teaching summer school at a different grade level....to gain experience and constantly learn more and more. I am getting very discouraged. Thank you for the advice and support!:)

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2009

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

25. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Thanks for the input. Do you think the might have cost me the job, the classroom management comment? What I told them was, I had my "basic rules" up, but when that didn't seem to work, what I did was as a class we created our own community. In third grade, social studies is ALL about communities so we made rules as if our class was a community. That is what I said along with the other stuff.

I should have brought up my knowledge of RTI. Our school, being very small and private, does not use RTI. This is was I said instead when the special ed teacher asked about how I would work with her. I did have to work with our city's huge public district and utilize thier services to get a kid in my class an IEP, which took months. I explained that he was very below grade level, and how I had to go back to basics with him regarding sight words, etc. and then finally got him the help and a plan that he needed. Was that ok? I am so bad at this! Like I said, I get goofy and fumble my words. It's awful.:eek:

26. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

Thank you for saying that! I will say that in the next interview I get, if I am not offered this position. I just get so flustered that I leave things out. This was only my third teacher interview ever. :eek:

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

Don't worry. Their response shows that they understand your meaning. It sounds like you did a good job to me! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you. Let me know if you think of anything else. Hopefully, you will have more interviews soon!

28. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 28, 2009

I will keep you posted! Thanks again!::)

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2009

When I've done such things in the past it freaks me out even more...I want to never speak again! You can over-analyze things. I can't believe I look like that when I laugh, for example. But, that's just me. :)

30. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

I interviewed with Principal A. She said I was terrific. I worked there and she was fired so Principal B took over. I worked wtih principal B for a couple years as a classified employee. I interviewed with her for a teaching position. She told me I was a terrible interviewee. She said that none of my personality and spunk came across. So I was then paranoid and freaked out before any interview because she'd told me I stank. I interviewed a few times with such terrible nerves because of her.

I stopped interviewing and focused on subbing for a year and did a lot of self reflecting. I went into the next interview with a much more positive attitude. I went in confident in my skills and truthfully admitted when I didn' tknow the answer. I got it. That was ....can't believe it's been 3 years already.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 29, 2009

Terpoteach - Are you in Washington State or Washington DC? That is a wonderful story. It really touched my heart. My first job I was hired after 2 weeks school began. I interviewed with the principal and did fine. It came down to me and one other applicant. Before I was leaving, the principal had stopped by one of the first grade teacher's rooms and had introduced me to the team. I had jokingly said, "pick me, pick me - I am fun!" The principal was undecided so she asked the team who they would chose. They remembered me because of that comment and said, let's give the young, fun teacher a chance. It was an amazing place to work with wonderful teachers that helped to shape the teacher I am today. You never know what will win the job. Thanks for sharing.

32. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

What an awful thing to say! Did she give you any pointers or was she just mean? Glad to hear you found something....:)

33. terptoteacher

Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, she told me to put my picture on my resume because maybe they'd pick me because I'm "cute".

Good riddance.

34. terptoteacher

Jun 29, 2009

Washington State

35. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Wow. I think that is mean. :eek: What did you say back to her?

36. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

OK I have not heard anything yet. I have not heard if he has contacted any of my references, either, and one of them is my summer school principal which worries me. I see her every day, and she would tell me if he called. Would you suggest calling, or is that too pushy since he said he would know around Thursday? I know he would have received my thank you card today. Should I call and say, I know you said not to "freak out" but I am just really interested in the position or do I look like I am begging then? Sorry for all the questions!:confused:

37. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

Did he mean last Thursday or this Thursday?

38. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

If he said THIS Thursday, I would wait. You don't want to bug him if he said not to freak out. My references were not called until after I accepted the position. So, I would not worry too much. I know references are checked in different ways by different principals. Just hang tight.:angel:

39. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

I like your answer and I agree!:cool:

40. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

This coming...

41. blondie77

blondie77 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

I'm pretty sure I didn't get it. I was up against a lot of laid off teachers with connections at the school, and I still have a job at another school. We'll see....