Bad interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by krlynn457, Jun 21, 2016.

1. krlynn457

krlynn457 Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    anon55 likes this.
  3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 21, 2016

I have. I had a phone interview when looking for my first job. I hung up the phone and thought it had gone so terrible that I said, "I will never hear from them again." It took a few weeks but I was called in to do an in person interview and got offered the job. Good luck to you!

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 22, 2016

Wish I could cheer you up, but I write because for most people I think they know in their gut what's going to happen. I absolutely knew I had the job after every successful interview I've had. I could just tell immediately there was a sort of magic and it wasn't like all the other interviews I've had. On those half a dozen or so I always got a call back with an offer within 24 hours. There were tons of interviews where I thought it went great but still lacked that extra something and I sat and hoped but never got the gigs, and tons of interviews where I knew before it was over I bombed them. (Some I could tell they already knew the person they wanted to hire but still needed to go through the process). So best of luck to you, but if you don't get the call back, forget about it and keep moving forward.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 22, 2016

Yes, but IMO that's probably rare. When my current district called to interview me, I was already planning to travel to another city in my state for an interview that same day. I happened to have friends visiting that week and had gotten us a hotel room in the other city so I could quickly do my interview and then do some touristy things in that area with them. My current school said their interview team wasn't available any other days that week and asked me to do a phone interview.

I went to the in-person interview first thing in the morning and it was fantastic. I knew in my gut that I had gotten the job. Before I left, the P introduced me to the AP and asked her to show me around the school, including the classroom that would potentially be mine. My phone interview with my current school was about an hour later. I tried to stay outside for the phone interview, but there were literally 40-50 mph winds and it was messing up the phone connection. I went back inside the hotel and kept running into loud people/kids everywhere. I was SO distracted the entire time because I kept walking around looking for somewhere more quiet and couldn't find it. I kept having to ask the interviewers to repeat themselves, and I wasn't really thinking about my answers that well. I was totally shocked when they called an offered the job a couple of hours later.

I did end up getting offered both positions, but took my current one because I didn't want to move if I didn't have to. Anyway, you should obviously keep applying until you hear something. Reflect on what you think went badly and come up with a plan to improve for next time!

7. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 23, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  8. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 23, 2016

in accordance with bad interviews... I actually think I had a good interview today, but I was 15 min late!!! I was supposed to be off work at 1pm but didn't get off work until 2:15 and I had to be at the interview at 2:30! Work was crazy busy and I had no choice but to stay an hour later. I seriously changed clothes in my vehicle while I was driving there. I felt sooo bad, I called on the way and told the recpeptionist if they still wanted to interview with me and I understand if they wish to cancel the interview because it is really unacceptable being late like I was. But she said they still wanted to interview me. When I got there I apologized again and said I got held up at work. Other than that I answered the interview questions very thorough and they seemed pleased, but I don't know if my being late messed up my chances no matter what...............

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016

anon55 likes this.
  10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2016

Don't forget to send thank you cards after the interview.

11. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 26, 2016

The BS tap dance is just beginning. Credential renewals, add-ons, tests, it never ends! If you think asking a few questions to them at the end is a tap dance you're in for a bumpy ride. I believe your number one goal at an interview is to convince them indirectly that you would be a great person to work with. They have already read your resume and that's why they called you in. So with that in mind, think of a few questions for them before you go in. Ask questions that will lead to a mini discussion about things you love talking about. Or the end is your last chance to show off research you have done with a school-specific question.

12. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 26, 2016

I've heard this is a good idea, but whenever I've gotten offers it's always been the next day before I even had time to put the thank you note in the mail! But of course they may help if the first person offered the job passes after thinking about it a week, or for future openings at the same school.

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 26, 2016

through the mail? emails are okay right? they get it faster that way.

14. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 26, 2016

has anyone still gotten hired after being late to the interview? i know its a big no no and i am still upset at myself over it (my current job kept me an hour late) if i didnt have a chance at all then i wish they would have canceled it when i called them on my way asking if they still wanted to meet with me and i understand if they didnt. the interview was thurs afternoon.

15. christie

christie Rookie

Jun 26, 2016

There are a couple of things to think about. If they'd already interviewed a strong, preferred candidate, they'd have thanked you for letting them know why you were late and told you not to come in. You called, you apologized, and you explained that you stayed at work because it was slammed, which is to a certain extent, a mark in your favor. You've shown yourself to be someone who takes work seriously and who doesn't bail when it gets difficult.

Having said that, if it comes down to you and one other person, being late could be the deciding factor.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  16. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 26, 2016

Last year, I had a great initial meeting/interview but completely bombed the panel interview. I walked out in tears because I had never done so poorly on an interview before. But the HR manager really liked me and talked me up I guess and I ended up getting the job. There was some pressure to do well; I didn't want him to look bad for "making" them hire me.
    Luckily I had a great year & the administration loves me (or so they tell me )

17. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jun 26, 2016

I agree that I usually have felt like the interview went really well when I get job offers, but it isn't always the case.

When I was interviewed for my first teaching job, it was a panel interview with 6 principals. I really felt that one of the principals didn't like me. At the end of the interview, they said that they saw that I had student taught in 1st and 4th grade, and asked me what my preference was. I basically said there were things that I really liked about both grade levels, but I preferred 4th. Then, all of the principals said which grade levels they had available. All of them had one or two kindergarten or 1st grade positions, except the principal that I thought didn't like me, she had a 4th grade position. I thought I had no chance. I was called first thing in the morning and offered the 4th grade position.

18. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 26, 2016

And how is your relationship with the principal now?

I've had not so great interviews due to inexperience, and I didn't get any of them. I only got the job on the interviews I know went really well and every good interview landed me the job.

19. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jun 26, 2016

That was my first teaching job. My relationship with the principal was good. I ended up being RIF after my second year due to enrollment shrinking. She tried very hard to keep me (and others who had to leave).

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2016

I have done both. I got the job after sending the snail mail card, but that was 12 years ago when the world was totally different. I think that email would be fine,

21. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Yeah, I guess I have. When I interviewed for my long-term sub position, I went home and cried. An hour later, the principal called and offered me the job.

That's the only one though. Unlike when I thought I bombed a test in school, when I think I bombed an interview, I usually did.

22. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 30, 2016

The job I was 15 min late for, they called me after the weekend and asked me to come back and do a lesson for them! I was a bit surprised by that, I declined b/c I accepted an offer elsewhere the day before.

anon55, DHE and christie like this.
  23. new2teach15

new2teach15 Rookie

Jul 1, 2016

I had this happen just this week. I had an interview and thought it was terrible, I even texted my husband when I got to my car to tell him that it didn't go well and most likely wouldn't get the job. To my surprise, I received a call today and was offered the job.

24. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 2, 2016

I hate feeling good leaving an interview. It's weird, but after finishing second a couple times when I felt like I did well (obviously I butchered those), I am wondering if the one I feel bad about will be the one I get.

25. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 2, 2016

I don't think that is true. My county is required to interview 3 people for every position. For example there was a long term sub in a position that was vacant. They knew they were going to hire her, she had been excellent they still had to interview 2 other people.

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2016

Congrats on your new job. What grade/subject will you be teaching?

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2016

It's all about selling who you are. If it's not you to design a portfolio or extend answers or send thank you notes, that's fine....they've pretty much made up their minds by the time you walk out the door. But that's what you need to keep in mind. Before: your resume and cover intrigued them. During: you have limited time to show them who you are. Shine. Be genuine. But amp it up After: reinforce why choosing you is the right decision.

mckbearcat48 likes this.
  28. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 4, 2016

One time I was so nervous I slammed down my bag on the desk and inadvertently knocked over the interviewer's cup of joe. Another time I made an inappropriate joke saying my ex would probably beat me up if I did not get the job.
    You can have the perfect qualifications and still not get the job. This last job I applied for was looking for a person with writing experience, which I had. But there was no chemistry between me and the young, rather pregnant, tool who was interviewing me.

anon55 likes this.
  29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2016

:rolleyes: Oh my....
    Attitude and comportment go a long way in making a great impression and in projecting oneself as a 'fit'.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2016

I give awful face to face interviews. Thankfully experience and positive references go a long way in my case, haha. I was offered a position this year 37 minutes after my 25 minute interview.

31. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2016

anon55 likes this.