bad interview answers

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Guest, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 27, 2002

I've just ad an incredibly dispiriting quest for a job, pretty much over now since school has started. I know I get nervous during interviews, but figure I mus be doing something wrong -- I had great references, I'm enthusiastic, love my subject, love kids, and have a great GPA etc. -- so what do you tink are the WORSTanswers an applicant can give t questions such as, "What is your approach to classroom management?" "How do you handle students who are much further advanced/delayed than others in the class?" "How do you track participation?" and "What qualties do you have which make you a good teacher?" Help!!!

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 27, 2002

Worse answer: I beat the kid with a wooden stick
    versus a better answer: Management of behaviours. you should have at least one idea to suggest like- first time warning, second time move their seat, third time detention, fourth is referral?
    Worse answer:If the kid is to smart i cant help him, I will make him staple for me my work or check my students papers.Versus a better answer: Ability. If a child is academically overchallenged then you will modify your work for the individual child. Because you want success for all children..If a child is not challenged enough, you want to avoid that child from creating a discipline problem so you would encourage child to remain active with additional assignments or free list of things to do like book report, library visit, listening center... Worse answer, I dont know how to keep track of participation. better answer, i usually keep track with a check mark or s for satisfactory or u for unsatisfactory. Or, i keep a clip board to write down who is participating based on visual observation. I will record papers grades as A B C D F. Those students who received d,or f, are required to resubmit the work after making corrections....
    Worse answer: I like to teach because I like the pay check or even worse would be, I dont have any qualities to be anything else, so therefore I teach. better answer: Teaching requires patience, and nurturing and I have always been so caring for other people. I am super creative and love to make learning fun using hands on or tactile materials. I love to laugh and smile and children love to be around that happiness.
    There is no way of knowing if when you are interviewing, it isnt just for protocol and that the principal doesnt already have someone, his nephew in mind for the job. Timing is important. If a principal has a low budget hes looking for the beginning teacher then one who has more steps and more salary... Good luck with the job hunt.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 27, 2002

Don't take it too personally...keep in mind that teaching jobs can be very competitive. Where are you seeking a job? What field are you in. Those are important factors. Be the looks of it there is nothing wrong with you!! Sounds like you are very qualified and competent. The best of luck to you!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 28, 2002

Mommaruth an guest:

Thanks for the hints. A lot of these I actually said: first time vrbl reprimand; second time, more severe reprmand; third time, move seat, then detention and office). I teach Spanish/English and am looking in the north metro area of Detroit. Probably didgive a bad answer on he talented kids question at first interview,but I improved.

Gracias a todos.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 28, 2002

I have also been interviewing this summer and can not get a job. Some interviews are tough. How would you answer this question. "Can you observe learning?"

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 29, 2002

Results from paper work will let you know if retention is going on.
    if a child is engaged, then he is learning. if he is responding, by writing or verbal, then he is learning. If a child is picking his nose with one hand, adjusting his undies with another and his eyes are up in his head counting the ceiling tiles, he is not learning. If their head is down on a book, osmosis, aint happening. He is not learning. If you have cooperative grouping, then you can see learning in progress as the group makes progress. Centers require a physical participation. Isnt that observable? If a child isnt makeing a choice on which center to go to .....