bad fire at my school

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by iteachm123, Aug 22, 2008.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

:( Two nights ago around midnight, one of my buildings at school that housed the main office, cafeteria, K-2nd classrooms, and title I, caught on fire and burnt completely down. Construction has been going on and there had been an electrician there that afternoon. It's now looking like something to do with that is the cause. K-2 teachers lost everything and of course, you know how important the office is. Fortunately, most of the children's records and our personnel files were unharmed because of the metal filing cabinet they were in. But, there were many things in the office that were destroyed and are irreplaceable. Please keep our school in your prayers. We open Sept. 2nd and our meet the teacher night is on the 28th of this month. We are planning on keeping our regular schedule so that the parents don't get scared and take their children elsewhere. We are a charter school and if any of you are familiar with the financial aspects of one, decreased enrollment would hurt us big time.

3. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I'll keep you guys in my prayers. I couldn't even imagine losing all of my teaching supplies like that!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about this. My school gym burnt down when I was in elementary school and I think we were off of school for nearly a month because of smoke and water damage. I am glad that your school is still opening and giving the students a place to learn.

PS I am not sure how much personal info. you put in your posts, but you may want to delete the name of your school b/c someone googling it will find this site...:2cents:

5. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

thanks for the editing tip. I took care of it.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 22, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about the fire at your school!

Several years ago an arsonist set a fire at the Migrant Head Start Center where I used to work. What a mess that was to clean up! But, everyone pitched in and put it all back together.

I hope that your staff can work together to put your school back in order!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2008

I am so sorry to hear about the fire! I'll be keeping your school community in my thoughts and prayers.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

YIKES!!! I hate that for you and everyone! My high school burned down in the middle of my senior year. It was not fun. I hope they can get some mobile units set up quickly!!!!

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 22, 2008

Wow! I just looked at the news video and photos of the fire.
    That was a major fire.

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

So sorry!

I am so sorry that this happened! I will be praying that the repair and everything goes smoothly, and that regardless of the damage, that you guys are able to rebuild and have a great year! :hugs:

11. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

UPDATE: bad fire at my school

Thank you to all for your kind words and positive thoughts. We are opening as scheduled and our meet the teacher night is this coming Thursday, as planned. Those teachers that lost their classroom in the fire will be moving into modulars possibly as early as this coming week. Until then, they will be in any extra space we can find in our existing building. We had a staff meeting a couple of days ago and the way that everyone has pulled together is just remarkable. It makes me very proud to be a part of such an amazing group of teachers and staff. According to our superintendent, our district has 8 insurance policies so they are completely covered and the teachers will get reimbursed for their destroyed belongings. I did find out that a teacher had borrowed a couple of books of mine and forgot to return them to me so they perished in the fire. Also, she borrowed my mailboxes as well. She felt horrible about it and God love her. I felt horrible for her! I was just so glad that the fire happened at midnight and no one was hurt. According to the fire chief, a backdraft situation occurred shortly after opening the door to the cafeteria and as the firefighters were walking down the center hallway to begin fighting the fire in the attic, the ceiling collapsed on them and several firefighters had fire on them. If this fire happened during the day when we would have had children and adults there, no one would have survived. This was told to us by the fire chief. Thank you God for protecting us and for allowing this opportunity to become stronger and more united than ever before.

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

Wow! Things and stuff can be replaced, people cannot. Hope you get a good start to your school year after this.

13. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

another update: so far we haven't gone down in enrollment. In fact, we're up as of today!

14. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 25, 2008

Thank God no one was hurt! Good luck to you and your colleagues, I hope you get things back in order soon! :)

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 25, 2008

I heard about this fire. A former parent from our bldg teaches there, and we are trying to collect some items.

16. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

Missy, thank you so much! In a private message, do you mind giving me the name of the former parent from your building?