Bad eval :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Dec 3, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

Today my department head came in to observe me. I thought it was the informal one...but it was the formal one for the semester. My powerpoint didn't work...kids were quiet, but didn't want to interact...she said I looked like I was not enjoying my job...and speaking in a monotone voice. I knew once the powerpoint didn't work I was in trouble. She said I should have made the best out of it anyway. This is my first year teaching this particular subject...so I have a tough time sometimes.
    She told me to view this as a starting off point to get better...and not get another bad eval.
    I almost started crying during the meeting...I am so upset. This was really an off day for me...none of my other classes are like that. I explained...and she understood somewhat...but...ugh!
    This is my first year at the school, and since it is private...teachers are under constant pressure to perform well so parents will want to spend the money to send the kids.
    I feel like such a screw up. We have another formal eval next semester by an administrator. I'm hoping things will get better before then.
    This was such a bad day anyway...with other things...and this just makes it worse. I feel like if they fired me tomorrow I would deserve it based on my class she saw today. :(

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Dec 3, 2008

:hugs: I feel for you! I get soooo nervous when my principals come in. Luckily we are told ahead of time about our evals. We have to have specific things for them to see. Technology can bite you in the butt sometimes! Since you're probably done presenting the lesson could you forward your PP to your principal so they can see what you had planned. The internet went down the one day when I had specific things I needed to show my kids using some websites. I had even checked it nefore school & had everything ready to go. Luckily I wasn't being evaluated b-c I had to come up with a plan B real fast! :eek:

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 3, 2008

Don't let it get to you! We all have some bad days. If it were me I would do two things. 1) wait about a week then go talk to your evaluator. Tell her you are really working on the things she brought to your attention, and ask if she would be willing to come in for another observation soon. Tell her you are anxious to improve and don't want to wait months to get another evaluation. (Actually, the more evaluations you have, the easier it gets to have someone in your room and the better you do!)
    2) get a lesson together as a backup plan - any lesson. Maybe you should do a backup plan for each unit and keep it on hand just in case this ever happens again.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you! There was a foul up, you were nervous as any teacher is with an observation. There are many lessons that just don't happen the way you hope they will. When that happens, you learn to ask yourself "What happened?" And you figure out a way to correct the problem and give the lesson another way the next day or time.

You are just learning so don't be so hard on yourself.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

I'm sorry you had a bad day and I can relate about the pressure at private schools. Take tonight and just find something relaxing to do. Tomorrow is a brand new day.

Maybe you can print off the power point slides "just incase" that happens again and then you can hand them out to people to look at as you're talking about each slide.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2008

:hugs: sweetie!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2008

Take some time to wallow in self pity-- it really DOES make me feel better :)

Then plan tomorrow's lesson and ask her to stop by again sometime soon. Putting it off will only make you overthink it.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

Thanks...just feeling so bad right now.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2008

Hey, we ALL have bad days. If we're lucky, there's no observer in the room and we can go in the next day and fix things.

But don't kid yourself; this happens to everyone!!!

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

I agree, we all have bad days. Take it easy, relax, and don't stress tonight. Reflect on our their comments and tomorrow is another day. You'll be fine!:)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2008

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 3, 2008

:hugs: We all have bad days, you'll be better the next time.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2008

Scienceteach, I was observed on Monday right after we got back from a week off!!!! My kinder kids were not themselves and things juts didn't go that well. He had several comments to make. I told him that my kids are normally not that way. Anyways, I also felt like crying, didn't, but I felt miserable. I'm feeling better today and will approach P next week and ask him to come back into my classroom.

Sorry you had a lousy observation.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Dec 3, 2008

Seriously....why in the world would a principal do that!!!!! Our principals can't even get out of their office we've had sooo many referrals this week! Our kids were off for 5 days & it shows. :hugs:
    Also those little ones are probably already sooo excited for Christmas. I do not believe in observations until after break! (I should start a petition. :p)

16. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Dec 3, 2008

Since you mentioned your kids weren't engaged, how about reteaching your lesson tomorrow with the powerpoint and asking your principal to stop by again. You could show him the way your really meant it to be.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2008

The deadline was Monday. He dragged his feet and that was the last possible day to observe. He told me Friday, I believe before we left for break. I told him, are you sure you want to observe on Monday, right after we get back from break. He said it'll be fine. Sigh...

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 3, 2008

Alice said the same thing. That sounds like a great idea.

I am sorry ST :hugs:

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2008

Hugs to you both.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 3, 2008

sucks even more...I made a test too easy and the all got 100's

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 3, 2008

You will find that is just the pattern in teaching - some days/lessons are great, some are a bomb.

I finally learned that when a lesson flops, the thing to do is go home and figure out a new way to present. I have had many successes on the second try. I think your thing was just being nervous, then having the PP not work - that threw things off. It really happens to everyone. Just today I presented an art lesson, but did not prep properly ahead of time. I had given the lesson before and thought I knew what I was doing. But I gave the wrong directions and about 50% of the kids flopped out. My fault. I am going to go on and now I remember to READ MY DIRECTIONS ahead of time. And I made notes on the page to remind me - teach all the steps. I skipped a few. Ah well. If someone had been observing me, they would have seen me flop. I made the best of it and we are moving on.

As said, the sooner you get someone in there for another evaluation the better. Let them see what you've really got!

22. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Dec 3, 2008

Seriously have to think about this as well because when I get a bad grade/rep I feel like it is the end of the world. I am learning how to recoup and look, laugh, learn, and MOVE on without anger and feelings of failure.

23. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 3, 2008

It IS hard, because we work so hard to teach and make the lessons understandable and interesting. I think it is just time that gives the perspective that lets you think "Oh well I blew that one!" and ask "How can I do it differently so the get it?" Over the years you see the pattern and bounce back more easily.

I have to say though that I do get really nervous when being observed. Still. It just feels weird. My P. comes into my room all the time and sees me teaching, and I am completely at ease. But if it is for an evaluation, I feel weird.

Hang in there! It is especially hard when you are just starting out - oh my goodness, I used to break out in hives if I did something wrong or had a complaint or a less than stellar evaluation! Truly, itchy patches all over my arms and neck! As I posted on another thread, I have changed: the bad part is I am less patient and tolerant, the good thing is I am not so sensitive to criticism anymore!

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2008

Yeah, but... why do lessons have to flop when the P is in there?:rolleyes:

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2008

THIS is why everyone says the first year of teaching is so hard!!! Try to just roll with the punches. You'll eventually find what works best for you, but not until you've given some too-easy tests and some too-hard tests and some too-long tests and some too-short tests. It takes TIME to develop your own style; college couldn't possibly prepare you for all this.

So give yourself a break. All those 100's just give you leeway for the day when your test is too hard. Don't sweat it.

26. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 4, 2008

Thanks again for the advice. I'm not even myself today. I am trying something fun though. We are studying the muscular system in anatomy...so I'm going to have them watch a few minutes of a funny exercise video...do the exercises...and talk about which muscles they were using.

27. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 4, 2008

If you do get a bad evaluation the last thing the evaluator wants to see is a teacher being defensive and uninterested in following his / her advice. On Tuesday I observed a teacher at another school who got roasted on his evaluation. I was the only one who actually had anything positive to say about his lesson and teaching style but when it came around to my comments he was so much in rebuttal mode that he only focused on the criticisms I had and not the positive points, which only made him look worse. Unfortunately for him my report isn't the one that will be helping much to determine his future and on the one that really matters the guy from the school district noted that 'he looks more like a car salesman than a teacher'. Needless to say I doubt his contract will be getting renewed.

Whatever you do during an evaluation meeting try to stay calm and agree with the evaluator(s) as much as possible. Show that you have a sound knowledge of the curriculum and how your lesson is designed to fit into it (regardless of how closely you actually follow the curriculum). Don't revert to 'well usually / you should see how it usually goes / usually my lessons ... but just today...' excuses. Don't criticise or blame your co-workers. And try to make it look like you have every intention of following every bit of the evaluator's advice to the extent that you can stomach publicly agreeing to, even if you plan to disregard it entirely.

28. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 6, 2008

Great idea! And, you will get both sides of the brain working! Bravo!

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2008

Too bad it didn't go smoother, but you'll get better!

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 7, 2008

Hope things have improved for you.

Your P has bad days too, we all do. They're not going to fire you because of one bad day. They hired you because they believed in you and your potential.