bad eval - tips for improving relationships with difficult students??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by eireannashley, Dec 4, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

I am a first year teacher, new to the state, the district, and the school. I had my first evaluation a 2 months ago and it went really well. I just had my second one and it was kind of a disaster. I used a lesson that my literacy and writing coach gave me and apparently my principal did not like it. My students did not understand it and therefore it took way longer than expected. I did not get to conference with students or do other things I was supposed to do in writers workshop. Overall, it was a mess. I think my principal is understanding with the fact that I am new and I never learned writers workshop or implemented it. That gives me a little hope.

However, after that she made some comments about how I obviously get along well and have good relationships with students who are academically where they should be and who behaviorally, have no problems. She thinks I struggle with the students who struggle in academics and who have behavior problems and that I do not have relationships with them. The weird thing is, I had one student moved into my class because a parent requested it. Then I had a student moved out of my class because a parent requested it. This student does absolutely nothing and because i would not let her get away with it, parents asked for her to be moved. Other than that, I really do not have students who have any behavior or academic difficulties. I am blessed with an amazing group of second graders. My principal made a comment about how she is not telling me to have children, but I will be a different teacher once I do so maybe that is the issue combined with my lack of experience.

I moved across the country and left my BF and family for this job. I love my students, my coworkers, and the school. I would be crushed if I was non renewed. I will find out in February, so I don't have much time to "improve."

The thing is my students have all improved in all academic areas. My testing scores are the highest out of the second grade. I have had parents tell me that they are so happy I have their child. I don't know how to fix this problem that my principal thinks I have.

How do I show her that I do have positive relationships with my students, especially when I already think I do. How do I build my relationships with those "difficult" students? I am feeling very discouraged because I work my butt off every single day. I am the first person in the building other than the janitor and the principal. I have a positive attitude. She has only been in my room twice no, yet she comes to these other conclusions. I just don't know what to do. I know that I am a good teacher, how do I show her?

I am so sorry this is so long but I am struggling. I do not want to go to work tomorrow and I have my summative evaluation which will be typed up and send to Human Resources next week. I feel lost. Any suggestions or tips would be so helpful. Thank you!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

I am wondering how your principal can make this comment if you have no students with behavior or academic differences...

Do you have any students where you feel you could improve your relationship?

4. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

Not really. That is the thing. I had the one student who moved to a different class. One student who moved to a different school district because of a parent job. One who is now being home schooled because he came to school with a black eye which he said was from dad and we of course called it in and finally one who the parent insisted she was special ed - she was not and so parent got mad and pulled her. Those were the only ones I had and other then the one - they did not leave based on anything to do with me. I don't know if she is taking those into consideration? I was thinking of maybe asking her for a quick meeting for recommendations on how to improve in that area? I don't know what to do!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

She probably is taking all those into consideration.

If you can get a meeting with the principal, I would try it. She might give you some advice that you never thought of. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 4, 2011

I agree with Mopar. I would schedule a meeting with your principal and tell her that you really want to improve and grow as a teacher. Ask her for some specific advice and go in with an open mind.

I think most principals like it when new teachers ask for guidance!

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2011

I think this is a good idea also. It shows you're willing to improve. Make sure you go in with a "want to learn" attitude, and not a "defensive" one (I know that would be hard for me to not get defensive in that situation).

8. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

Thank you everyone! Ever since I have moved away from my family and friends and now am in a long distance relationship - I am crazy emotional! I went back to my room and balled my eyes out! I think that I will speak with my mentor teacher tomorrow and then go ahead and schedule a little meeting with my principal. I think my main issue will be not bursting into tears haha.

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it!

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2011

That's a very inappropriate thing for her to say. Whether or not a teacher has children of their own has no bearing on their effectiveness as a teacher.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2011

Good luck!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 4, 2011

I think the issue might be related to the child who refused to work in your classroom. If you didn't already do this, next time ask for support when encountering a child who shuts down like that. Often there are remedies to support the child and increase productivity.

Having said that, I think a good talk with the P might be in your best interest. We continuously learn on this job. All of us do. Asking for advice is not only smart for our own professional development but it shows them you want to be the best you can be.

It sounds like you have a lot of positives as a teacher.