Bad day

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by JRafko, May 7, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

May 7, 2013

Well, where do I begin. These students towards the end of the year, oh my word. Today may have just been difficult due to having 6th graders. I enjoyed substituting for 6th grade before Christmas break, but I guess the whole two weeks must have turned their brains off. The whining, tattling, and oh so many other petty issues were driving me insane. I love middle school and recently had an interview with a 7th grade position, I only pray that if I get the position, that my 7th graders will have grown out of their 6th grade habits.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2013

Mental :hugs: to you.

6th grade can be rough. It's one of the reasons I'm happy to keep my certification 7-12 and not go for the middle school work. Subbing in that grade can be even tougher, especially if the school is K-6 and they're currently the big dogs in the building. Just remember that it was one day and you're done. Make a lot of notes for the teacher, take a deep breath, and move on to the next day.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 7, 2013

I never liked 6th grade. I only subbed for 6th grade a few times, but each time I hated it. It wasn't necessarily the behavior, it was mostly the immaturity and everything that stemmed from that.

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 8, 2013

I had 6th graders yesterday AND had to take them to the auditorium for a 45 minute assembly. I almost had a panic attack when they were acting foolish while we were waiting to be called down.

I got real quiet, and told them clearly that I expected them to be silent in the halls and silent during the orchestra concert. I told them we are going to have a good reputation!

I must've scared them straight because they were the best class during the concert :)
    But yes, 6th graders are so sweet (and scared!) at the beginning of the year. Just takes a bit of work to reign them in this time of the year.