Bad Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by sjanew15, Oct 2, 2014.

1. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Oct 2, 2014

Hi all. I need some help.

My third period class is not going well. There are a variety of levels of students in there from newcomers to people who placed out on their exam. I currently tier my activities and give students highly differentiated instruction.

Some of the problems I notice are thus: lack of consistency.

Sometimes I'm not as quick as I should be in dealing with behavior problems. I've stepped that up a lot, but now it just gets the kids mad when I talk to them about a problem.

People are off-task a lot. They don't focus, they don't understand, no matter what I give them they say it is too easy....

I know why they don't focus. I need to keep them more on task and get to know a little bit more about them. I haven't connected with all of them as well as I would like.

Here are some of the ideas I have implemented to fix these problems: Giving the class tallies. One tally represents one minute that they have to give back to me and stay in class for on Friday.

This failed because I had no help from anyone in rounding up my class for a Friday tally session, since I teach them third period and lunch is period seven. By then, some of the chronic troublemakers, who do have permission to leave school for lunch, had left and were "in hiding."

I gave them points toward minutes of free time that they could potentially earn on Friday. However, they didn't make it through the week before I had to take the free time from them. Plus, they were loud, and got disciplined by the dean before the period was over. The downside to that idea is that the class was too loud, so it didn't carry over to the next week, because I didn't want to get scolded by the dean again.

I have been sending some of my chronic troublemakers out. The dean came back with one of them today and said that I can't send them out because there is no one in the alternate setting room to take them. They got put back into my class and then I got in trouble for it.

I also called about 9 people's homes yesterday. Then, I came in today and differentiated my lessons to teach newcomers nouns, intermediate students conclusion sentences, and advanced students who placed out continued writing the essay. I put all of the work in a basket, read the names of the people who were to get each level of work, and then handed out the work to them. My goal is to have them walk up to the basket and get their work when I call their name.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I am not quite at my wit's end, but I really want to make sure this works.

I'd also like to have less anxiety. My anxiety is at the point where I don't know how much longer I'll be able to handle it, honestly.

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Oct 2, 2014

All I can recommend is consistency. What I do, and it seems to work, is each core (I have 4) competes against the other cores for points on a football field. Each core has the same opportunity to score the same amount each day. Things that get points: perfect attendance, perfect homework attendance, participation, etc. Things that lose points: disrespect, off-task behavior, excessive class-wide talking. Winner gets homework pass, review game for the test where they earn candy (other classes get the planned, boring worksheet for review).

I've been dealing with really chatty 3rd and 4th cores. What I have implemented and so far it is working is: (say they're in groups and I need to interject) I say hush, and I count to 5 in my head--if they are still talking they lose 5 yards on the field. Later on, same situation I say hush, and if they are still talking -10 on the field. Same situation, I say hush, count to 5--still talking? Silent Class remainder of the period and anyone who makes a sound, regardless of the reason has automatic silent lunch--including transitions, locker breaks, etc.

I also document behavior on a their weekly log. 1st-warning, 2nd: time out in room, 3rd silent lunch; 4th sent out to my teammates room for 15 minutes and phone call home; 5th would be an office referral. No one has gotten to 3 marks so far this year in one day.

I came into this year trying to mimic everything I did last year---it did not work. I have found you have to tailor your BM plan to your kids, and what works for controlling them.

4. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Oct 3, 2014

HeartDrama: I did what you did last week. I put my students in the hall, said why I was disappointed and what they should do when we went back into the classroom, and waited until they quieted down. Unfortunately, this didn't work, because my classroom is across the hall from the principal's office. She heard them being taken outside and disciplined them, thus taking away my power. She then, after class, told me that I can't take them out into the hallway anymore. They have to stay in class.

I like the football idea. I am going to take it and implement it with a class participation/behavior chart. I will laminate the chart and hang it up in the classroom. If kids are behaving, I will walk over there and give them points. I will not say anything. If they aren't working or listening, they get a zero for the day. They need six points for the week to get full class participation for the week. This will be out of a possible ten points per week. If someone gets to six points, I will go, "So and so got to six points this week. She is the first person to get to six points this week."

It works really well in a colleague's class, and some of the students say that they like the system.

My school does have behavior issues. Our dean of discipline spends most of his day in the middle school wing of the school, and the high schoolers are taking full advantage of it. I know at least two kids who are trying to skip classes and hang out in other classrooms. I finally asked him to please step into the high school hallway at least once a day to try to catch these kids, cause I sure don't want to be kicking them out of my class second period every day. I also don't want to have to chase them through other classrooms on the third floor when I know they are supposed to be in another teacher's classroom.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 5, 2014

TBH, I think you will struggle all year with this class. You're leaping from one "solution" to another. Students mistrust you, and the lack of rapport doesn't help.

Also, this may seem cruel, but you're class sounds really boring, and students tend to act up when they're bored. Why are they learning nouns in 9th grade? Is it prepositions next? Gah.

Can you spice it up a little? Maybe play a short-length documentary. Have them respond. Then identify the nouns in their responses.

6. mrs.whatsit

mrs.whatsit Rookie

Oct 6, 2014

A program that really helped me with consistency and behavior management was LiveSchool. Try it out! It's free for teachers and great for middle school!

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 6, 2014

Quite possibly since the OP teaches ESL. Nouns and prepositions are important when learning a new language.

8. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Oct 7, 2014

I am going to stick with this class chart. No more switching for me. Also, class went better because the kids liked the activity better. It was an activity using pictures of social media to find claim and counterclaim.

9. sjanew15

sjanew15 Rookie

Oct 7, 2014

I know my lessons might not be the most exciting, but I am trying to spice things up. For example, we analyzed the claim: should El Mayor keep singing to learn claim and counterclaim. The kids loved it. They also liked today's activity. I just need to get better at explaining stuff to them. What can I do to make it more interesting? I currently have groups with a leader who is in charge of materials.