Bad “interviews” haunting me.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bmack, May 23, 2012.

1. Bmack

Bmack Rookie

May 23, 2012

Thanks for letting me vent.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 23, 2012

What do you mean?

4. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 23, 2012

What went wrong with your interviews?

5. Bmack

Bmack Rookie

May 24, 2012

I took my rant down. So many people read it without giving a response so I just deleted.

6. slippers

slippers Rookie

May 24, 2012

Put it back up, I would like to hear about your 'bad interviews.' Considering how horrible the job seeking process is I know I will have some bad interviews as well and would like to be familiar with what to expect. lol!

It's so hard not to take this process personally but it sure feels horrible to go through it.

7. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

Yeah when I clicked to see what happened you just said thanks, put it back up :)

8. Bmack

Bmack Rookie

May 24, 2012

Okay, I just did not want to come off as a whiner. I know a lot of us are in the same boat.

I had meeting with a P on Monday. I have a friend who works there as a dean and he put in a good word. Everything seemed very good once I got there, they set me up on a tour and I was impressed. I had already done research on the school, so I knew as much as I was told, but I was still very fascinated with their school and how progressive they are.

Anyway, once I was done with the tour and sat down with the principal, it went south-hell bound that is. He took me to a random room in the hall, and blurted, “So, do you have any questions for me?” I was prepared for something more, but I asked about their practices, specifically, their nonuse of text books and fieldwork assignments etc. The P seemed so pressed for me to shut up and get out that I was quite alarmed. He made several points to let me know that “this was not an interview,” and that they get so many applicants in, but could possibly nominate me as a Para. This, however, he said, “would not mean you have a job here.” :

It went this way to the end. Now, I do understand that just because a friend works there does not mean I am promised anything. I also know that the P was not obligated to meet with me, but gee wiz. I don’t think he even read my resume.

This is not the end, I had a teaching Demo the next day and it went okay, not great. I’m not going to bore you with the details, but I felt really haunted by both. I kept over analyzing Tuesday's meeting and I am completely put off by Monday’s. I know I have to get back in the saddle, but I really wanted advice on how to shake that bad feeling.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

It sounds as though you and the principal had different expectations of the "meeting"--you thought it was an interview and he, knowing that he had no positions, did not. I firmly believe, however, that no experiences are a waste of time; continue looking.

10. slippers

slippers Rookie

May 24, 2012

I wouldn't want to shake that bad feeling, I would want to hold onto it and remember it. It's important.

This guy did not like you or want to talk to you. He was doing your friend a favor and clearly didn't care how he came off. He was rude to you and let you know his true feelings. How is this your fault? it is not, and don't make it your problem - it's his.

I am sorry that this guy was such a (fill in word of your choice here), but he was. Don't take it personally, hold your head high and keep going. It's too bad that he didn't even consider who you were and what you have to offer but he clearly didn't.

I had an interview once where the HR person rudely went over all the reasons why I was not eligible for the job. She went through four or five points, with my resume turned face down. At the end I asked her: did you want to look at my resume? she did reluctantly. Every single one of her points I had on my resume, every single one including the education and the 'kind of university' she was looking for. She had no answer and the interview concluded very quietly.

It was also a favor interview, so again - just don't take it personally and consider it their loss and your gain as an important learning experience.

11. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

I have to say, I had SUCH a similar experience. I interviewed for a Title I position at a new school. The principal was nice and cheery as he took me on a tour. Then we got to his office and he asked me what programs I've used. Then he asked me what questions I had and pretty much sent me on my way. I was DEVESTATED.

Salt on the wounds, hour drive home over thinking what went wrong.

You are definitely not alone or whining. I'm glad you reposted!! Hang in there, because this sounds like it has nothing to do with you and more to do with his attitude. Do not take that personal. Keep applying and you will find a better fit.

12. Bmack

Bmack Rookie

May 24, 2012

MrsC, whatever it was, the P could have saved us both time by not inviting me at all. I would have preferred it that way rather than have him be so abrasive. Keep looking is exactly what I am doing, but you are right, no experience is a waste- there is a lesson in everything. Plus, it would help not to take much personal.

Slippers & BruinsFan63, thanks this is sound advice, I need to use it as motivation!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

I absolutely agree.