Backyard Chickens Anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Aug 9, 2012.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

We have them...it wasn't my idea, but then I have ended up enjoying them more than my husband and boys. Do you have them? What breed of chickens do you have? We are on our 2nd batch.....tragic story, hopefully these won't meet an untimely death. This has been such a great educational experience (even brought the baby chicks in to my classroom) for my boys. I would definitely recommend to any of you to have a backyard chicken.:haha:

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 9, 2012

Me and my sister used to have chicks as kids. One of my parents' friends brought his daughter over and she thought they were so cute that she hugged them to death. Literally. I kind of wonder what went through her mind after the first one stopped moving that possessed her to continue to do the same thing to the rest of them.

Sorry. Morbid story, but we tried again when we were teenagers. A lot of fun, but we ended up giving them to my neighbors who had a pretty much certifiable chicken farm because my parents didn't want them around anymore.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

Sheesh, that wasn't what I wanted to hear. It wasn't about the chicks...more about the ladies in my backyard, and the benefits from their eggs.
    And really, I can't imagine hugging a chicken to death.....I've held them in my hands. That is strange and not typical.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 9, 2012

Yikes, awful story Peregrin.

I'd love to have backyard chickens someday, but it's not really a possibility here. Too urban. I do like chickens though, and having fresh eggs would be great! I don't even eat a lot of eggs, but maybe I'd start?

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

We wish we could have some rescue chickens, but it's not allowed here. A pity--we have the space.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2012

My mom has FOURTEEN chickens, and just got some more. They keep dying by raccoon or sometimes a dog gets one. My mom has more eggs than she knows what to do with.

Chickens are so funny and I love to see them run! jaja!

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

Our rooster is a silver dorking. He is such a sweetie. My daughter likes to carry him around and calls him a lap rooster. We have six Sussex hens and one hen with 14 chicks right now that hatched last week.
    Chickens are just a small part of the menagerie that includes turkeys, goats, rabbits, dogs, cats, guineas, and a horse.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

They are hilarious! We have seven chickens but 3 are little ones so we call them half chickens.

We have 4 that come up on our deck and peek in our kitchen as if they want to come in the house. The other evening they did that and I was making chicken for dinner!! :eek: It makes me think it was a horror movie for chickens!!:lol:

I love to see them run too! They look so funny! I think it is because they don't have arms! BTW, your mom should sell the eggs. I know my sister in law has backyard chickens and sells eggs every week. It at least helps pay for the feed, etc.

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 9, 2012

We have ten hens and love them! We bought them on a whim back in the spring but they are so much fun. My four year old loves to go out every morning and gather the eggs! :)

And by the name of this thread I thought maybe you were talking about the forum called BackyardChickens.com - it's all about chickens over there, lol.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

My mom (or was it aunt?!) killed an entire family of baby chickens when she was very young. She gave them all a bath...and drowned them. So, so sad. :(

I am not really able to now, but I feel strongly that at some point I will have a "gentle farm" for rescues. We have seven acres so unless we move it will be a small, manageable place. I have a name for it already!