Backup Lesson Plans

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Michael S., May 12, 2008.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 12, 2008

I am starting to compile a selection of backup lesson plans. However, I want the activities to be broad enough so that they can apply to a variety of grade levels (ie. K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8). I also want them to possibly fit to a particular subject, but not to a lesson that may or may not have been taught. I have read a lot of backup plans, but am looking for lessons and not worksheets that I would need to make tons of copies of and drag around with me waiting for them to apply to that specific situation.

So far I have...

-Bell Ringers (Activites that take a few minutes to fill up at the end of a subject)
    -Educational Games

Again, Looking for any basic lesson plans for...
    -The Arts
    -Language Arts
    -Math
    -Science
    -Social Studies
    -History
    -Health & Safety

To give you a better look at what I have already...here are a few examples of the worksheets
    -Fun Words with Vincent van Gogh (The Arts)
    ex. The location of the cousin from Illinois Chicago

-Super Stories (Language Arts)
    Have students write a story as they each contribute to it.

Circle Spelling Bee (Language Arts)

Math Battleship (Math)

Mosaic Tile Coloring Sheet: Multiplication (Math)

The Average Kid (Health and Safety)
    Purpose: Discussing with the children how they have more in common with each other than they are different.

As for the bell ringers they are mostly problem solving / thinking related problems that vary upon subject/grade level.

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 17, 2008

Your teachers don't leave you enough work? my teachers always leave me enough work to do. With extra work in case we finish that early. Like at end of the day or while waiting to go to lunch,PE or w/e if we have like 15-20mins or something k-2nd I would read a book or books to them. 3rd-5th I would let them play a quit game such as heads up 7up or something or just tell them to read their AR (accerated reader) books.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

May 17, 2008

The teachers I sub for usually leave me plenty of work to do, also. If they happen to get finished early and there is extra time, I take them out for recess, let them have free time, read them a book, play a game(7-up, math bingo) or give them coloring worksheets/word searches.

I think the fact that you want to have backup lessons just in case is a great idea, but I think you'll find that you will rarely need to use them. I had a bunch of lesson plans that I used to bring with me, just in case. But I found that I never needed to use them. Usually the teachers leave me MORE than enough work.

Good Luck!! :)

5. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 17, 2008

Yeah, it is just in case. I would rather have some lessons ready than be caught dead having nothing to do. Plus, I am currently going to school for education so by creating lesson plans and having them on file (on the computer and paper) can only be advantageous.