Backpacks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissMcCollum, Jun 29, 2007.

1. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 29, 2007

I have been thinking about my classroom setup, and am still baffled by what to do with their backpacks. There are not cubbies or shelves for them to store them in, but I'm afraid that if they're at their desks they will become a problem.

Does anyone else have an issue with backpack storage? I need to find something that is cheap and easy to implement.

Thanks!

3. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jun 30, 2007

i have them zip up their bags and put them on the backs of their chairs sideways. they don't fall off that way.

4. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

What about one/two large tubs that could sit on the wall somewhere(if you have room). I have coat hooks in my room but when it is winter and all the students have thick jackets it gets crowded so I use bins. Once they put thier backpack into the bin they can not get it out until the end of the day, so it is also a good way to make sure they turn in stuff in the morning and put their lunch in the lunch bin (obviously if they need to get their lunch they can but I don't let them go back for homework).

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 30, 2007

Last year I didn't have backpack hooks until March. The kids just lined them up against a wall.

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

I have a closet with 5 shelves. I get laundry baskets for each shelf and assign 3-4 kids to put their stuff in each basket. We shove the baskets in the closet, shut the door, and I don't have to see them for the rest of the day!

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2007

I'm actually implementing a "No Backpack Policy" in my room. The kids have small cubbies which will fit lunches and coat hooks for coats. I am going to collect grocery bags for bringing home projects that can't be carried, and each kid will get a sturdy homework folder to take home each day.

If they MUST have a backpack, say for a play date, transition between two homes or something like that, fine. But overall, I find they get in the way, especially the ones with wheels.

We don't have afterschool sports at my school, so there is nothing they need to bring each day for that. I just don't see the point. Most of the time they just have the lunch and the folder in them, along with a bunch of crushed up papers!

Also, another policy, even though these are 3rd and 4th graders, they HAVE to have a spare set of clothes. This year a kindergarten book buddy wet her pants and it got on one of my 4th graders (they were snuggled up and reading and the little one didn't want to stop or ask where the bathroom was.) Of course, the office does not have size 10 pants to change into! She handled it VERY well.

8. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

yes, i'm always struggling with backpacks. i don't like them on the back of the chairs because the chairs fall over or it makes the aisles dangerous. one year i had a large bin for them to put them in. the rolling backpacks are so large that they take up all of the space. last year i had the backpacks lined up against the wall but i'd rather use that space for other things. i've been thinking about installing hooks on the wall but i wasn't sure if it worked well or just became chaotic.

one year i emptied out my cabinet so that when the students put away their backpacks we couldn't see them anymore (ah, we looked a little cleaner) but then my science bins came in and now they take up all that space.

9. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jun 30, 2007

In my Kindergarten room, there was no where for kids to put backpacks so I went out and bought 3 hampers (the low, wide kind) and the kids just put them in there. I put them right by the door. It worked really well.

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 30, 2007

I'm going to get some bins for them for next year. Last year we had wall-mounted cubbies, and they just set them under the cubbies, but they never stayed by the wall, and I was always tripping on them and kicking them back over to the wall. If I have 3-4 bins, then they should at least stay contained.

11. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 30, 2007

I'm trying to decide if I want to go the bin route or if I want to attempt to have them keep their backpacks zipped and on the back of their chairs. I don't have cubbies, nor do I have coat hooks. All I have at this point are two rods, about 18" long, for upwards of 30 kids to hang their coats. (I don't even have hangers!) As 5th graders, everything about them is big, and though I have a large classroom, I don't want their extra stuff taking up space. It'd be nice if the school installed cubbies and such... :)

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

I used two large bins and they slid under a table so they were out of the way during the day. Their coats went inside the packpacks.

13. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 1, 2007

Backpacks on the backs of chairs is a NIGHTMARE. They are constantly falling off, pulling the chairs backwards, and require more space for the chairs when arranging your rooms. I would either ask for hooks to be put up or go the storage bin route. I can't believe that some of you may get away with not having a backpack brought to school. Kids need to transport things daily and a grocery bag just doesn't always cut it. For those kids with special needs such as diabetics, it will be essential to have it. Once my daughter starts school, she will have a 2nd set of clothing on the bottom of her bag just in case.

14. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

Backpacks in the classroom are my nightmare ! My students have a cubbies downstairs where they leave their coats and they have hooks in the hall for backpacks.

I could never handle backpacks on chairs. I would use bins.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

Teachers as my school has the kids unpack their backpack and then keep them in a large tub outisde the classroom door. When I was subbing in a 4th grade classroom, they kept their backpacks at the back o the classroom. They were not allowed to keep them by their desks or go get something from their backpack. If they did, the teacher threw their backpack outside the classroom door. Anyways, I don't think the latter would work because that seems too messy to me, plus there's not a lot of room anyways. I think I'm going to do the tub idea.

16. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 1, 2007

I'm leaning toward the tub idea. I'd love to be able to leave them outside, but my classroom door opens to outside, and we're right next door to a middle school. Something tells me that the kids (and their parents) wouldn't go for that. :)

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 1, 2007

We have been using coat hooks for backbacks as well as coats. We also have cubbies for student stuff, so there is usually plenty of room.

This year I'll be in a new classroom, though (still being built!), and I don't know whether I'll be able to get hooks put up beforehand. If not, I like the bin idea--if I have floor space, I'll use that!

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2007

I know that I won't have room in my class for a tub or two, that's why I like the idea of keeping the tubs outside the classroom door. Otherwise, I would have no good ideas as to where to store these big tubs in the classroom.

19. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

wouldn't it be nice to set up a shed outside so they can throw their backpacks, muddy shoes, and whatever else in it and it actually doesn't need to come into the room? what wishful thinking. i am leaning towards the tub idea though. i would need to make sure that they had lids so sticky fingers from other classes wouldn't walk off with anything.