Backpack storage?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Erin Elizabeth, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

Hi all! I'm moving into a new classroom for the fall. My old room had TONS of cabinet space that I used for "cubbies" where the kids could keep their backpacks out of the way. My new room has nothing of the sort. No hooks on the wall, either. I absolutely do not want backpacks hanging on chairs. What are your creative ideas for backpack storage?

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I've seen some teachers have students line their backpacks up in the hallway or along a wall. I don't know that I'd trust my students' belongings in the hallway but it's one option. You could also be really, really nice to the custodians and beg them to put some hooks up! ;)

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

If you have the wall space...I had my husband get a piece of wood (I have used heavy chair rail type and a regular 2x4) and screw in coat hooks that we got from Home Depot, then he screwed the wooden pieces to the wall. In one school he made two rows and the kids hung them on the hooks. As long as you use the screw hooks they will be strong enough.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 12, 2008

I used the huge storage tubs. Each one could easily hold 5 book bags on the bottom, and 4 on the top. I had 3 of them in a row up against the wall. (I also had strict rules about no going back to your book bags once class started, because the ones on the bottom were hard to get to. I had 3 students at the end of each day "hand out" bookbags, so everyone wasn't trying to dive in and dig-out their book bags.)

It wasn't ideal, but I had plenty of floor space, and no hooks on the walls. At the end of the year, I just pulled out the lids and used the huge tubs to store my teaching stuff, so it didn't get all dusty over the summer.

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

Hmmm. I have the wall space. I suppose I could invest in some wall hooks. That would be ideal.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

I've seen a few teachers who used huge tubs like that. I could make that work.

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I was in your same situation when I switched classrooms this past year. I had hooks underneath my cubbies so that my students could hang them up, but in my new room, the hooks were gone. Because of this, they hung their backpacks on the back of their chair which wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be.

9. BevAnn

BevAnn Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I had a similar problem in my new classroom. I did have a set of hooks (about 10), but I had 23-25 students throughout the year. I had some students hang their backpacks on the hooks and I purchased 2 large rectangular laundry baskets. They sat under the hooks against the wall and the other students placed their backpacks in there. Everything was out of the way, but still easily accessible.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 12, 2008

I had to do the tub thing this year. It's not the greatest storage solution, but they aren't on the backs of their chairs. Unless you have room for the students' hooks to be placed far apart, the kids' backpacks tend to fall off the hooks.

My room is so teeny that I can barely walk around when the kids are in their chairs, and I can't get by if someone has his/her chair scooted out too far.

11. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

That's how my old room was! I was grateful to have the cabinets to use for cubbies...backpacks on chairs would not have worked at all!

My new room is so large and roomy. I think I will have to put up some wall hooks. I'm thinking 2 rows of hooks.

Now to find hooks that won't drain my bank account!

12. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I used the tubs this year for the first time. This year they stored backpacks and lunches in there - I'm changing that for next year. Occasionally something in someone's lunch would leak and get other backpacks wet - yuck! I've already gotten a couple of separate bins that I'm going to use for lunches next year. (We're a small Christian school without a cafeteria, so pretty much everyone brings a lunch from home.)

13. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I had 12 hooks for 24 students last year. Backpacks and coats absolutely did not fit, especially in the winter. I ended up purchasing two large tubs as well. I designated one tub for the girls and one for the boys to place their backpacks in. I then assigned one hook each to two students to hang their coats on. I really liked the tubs because it cut down on the mess the backpacks and coats created on the floor. That is one of my biggest pet peeves...I cannot stand to see that stuff all over the floor. The other thing that I liked was that I could put the lids on the tubs and the backpacks were totally out of sight until the end of the day. At the end of the day, I assigned a couple of kids to each tub to distribute backpacks and coats. This eliminated the mob at the coathooks at the end of the day.

14. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I use dishpan size tubs for under the students' desks for math, science, and s.studies materials. Language arts materials go in the students' desks. Students only have to pull that tub out once to pack in the morning, again to put up what they don't need for homework when they return to homeroom. The textbooks are so big, they won't all fit into the desk.

Students take backpacks with them from class to class (we change once). The packpacks are kept on the back of the desk, half the time on the floor, and students are constantly using the backpack to turn around to classmates and talk! I hate that. I don't know of any other solution. I have tripped on so many it is ridiculous. I always that one or two that just can't seem to keep it on the back of the desk out of the way.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 13, 2008

What about those wire stacking cubes or even milk crates? You can build your own cubbies.

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2008

I had hooks in my room but the backpacks did not stay on them well. So it was a constant mess by that area. I had a set of shelves built and also use milk crates when I have more than twenty children and it seems to work well.

17. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 16, 2008

I have a closet area with hooks but the hooks are way too high for the first graders, so most of their coats and bags end up on the floor anyways. For that reason, I'm going to go to the bins suggestion that someone else mentioned and during my "closet" (it's actually just a section of the room with mini-dividers on two sides) into our library! We'll put backpacks in bins, and coats on the backs of our chairs or in the bins, too, and have assigned bins.

18. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 17, 2008

I've used the big huge rubber tubs for a couple of years. The nurse doesn't like it, but it works for me. I have three. Students are to get everything out for the day that they will need when they come in in the morning. Then the bins are closed and they stay that way until the Bin Managers open them at the end of the day. The bins stay outside the classroom.

19. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 17, 2008

This year my 18 students put their bookbags in a giant tub.

I'm begging for bookbag hooks for next year!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 20, 2008

What does the nurse say about them?

21. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I second the milk crate idea... those would be the perfect size to stack up for cubbies.

22. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I like the milk crate idea. I wonder if I would have space in my room for something like that.

23. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 20, 2008

Well, thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions! I ended up stealing an idea from the teacher next door. She bought unfinished wooden peg racks from Lowe's for $8 each and had the custodian mount them on the wall. I went to Lowe's and found them for $6.97 - and they were already painted white! I am in good with my custodian so I know he'll hang them for me no problem. I have the perfect wall space for it.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=64669-695-91537CT

24. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

Like several other posters, I use big tubs for bookbags. They have to get everything they need for the day out of the bookbag in the morning. I haven't had trouble with anyone spilling anything because they have to get their lunch and snack out before putting their bookbags away. I love having control over them so the kids can't be in and out of them all day like they did my first year of teaching.

25. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jun 21, 2008

For those of you who put your bookbags in tubs... Do you ever have lice issues in your classrooms? I am considering a big tub, but I am concerned about the "itchies".

26. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

I haven't had trouble with lice. And I honestly don't know what I'd do if I did. However I have no other option for backpacks other than let them make a mountain of them under the hooks for jackets because the way the hooks are made the backpacks won't stay on them.

Not for lice but I do spray my tubs with lysol at least 3 times a week to kill the germies.

27. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 21, 2008

When I student taught, one of my cooperating teachers had large rubbermaid tubs. The kids had to get everything they needed out in the morning, then the backpacks went into a tub and the lid was shut. She had 4 of them and they stacked 2, and 2. There was a person in charge of each tub at the end of the day.

28. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2008

The hooks with the removable sticky stuff are great...I use them all over my clasroom...I think that 3M makes them...as well as some other companies!! The good thing abt. them is you can take them down without any damage to the wall.

29. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

She is concerned about lice. But I've been using them for two years with no problems. It tends to be not as much of an issue with older kids.

30. pantherteach

pantherteach Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

If you install hooks we buy clear hefty bags and label each bag with the students name. Each morning the student comes in and finds their bag with their name on it and puts everything in there. One of the reasons that we do this is we do have a lice problem at our school. Since each students stuff is in his or her own bag it does not touch the other students materials who may have lice on it.

31. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jun 24, 2008

Good idea, panther! We have a lice issue too, and that's why I was concerned about using a tub. Are they trash bags or the giant zipper bags?

32. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I outlawed backpacks and everything had to come and go in the folder that I provided. I didn't have any problems with parents because when someone questioned me in the beginning (several did) I just explained that it was a safety hazard and it was my job to make sure their child was safe in my classroom at all times. Nobody ever argued with my logic and I no longer had the hassle (besides it eliminated all the other junk they bring to school in the backpack other than schoolwork).

33. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

How heavy do they go? Can they hold backpacks?

34. pantherteach

pantherteach Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

They are just clear trash bags and the kids pull the strings on each side to make sure it is shut and hang their strings on their hook. Also, when I do have a kid that I have to send home because of lice I just have them take their bag home and keep it there. Then, when they come back we start with a new one. The first day of school we go over the procedure for finding the bag with their name on it and taking care of their bags.

35. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jun 25, 2008

I am so going to use that idea! I love it! :)