Backpack storage

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Jul 7, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

Where / how do your students store their backpacks in your classroom?

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 7, 2015

We are departmentalized, and I have two classes, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. At the beginning of the year, I had them hang up their backpacks and coats in the coatroom. After a while, it seemed like a waste of valuable instructional time when they were only in my room for half a day. So I had them put them on the backs of their chairs. But then they would fall off and look sloppy on the floor, as well as be a tripping hazard. So either I have to train them to hang them better, or go with the coat hooks. Still debating.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2015

We can't hang ours up on the coat hooks, because the wall isn't strong enough for the weight of bookbags. (Our building is a type of portable.) I have 3 large tubs, and each tub can hold 6 bookbags. It keeps them out of the way, so they aren't a trip hazard.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2015

I should add, we put lunches in a separate tub, and the students carry that to the lunch room in the morning. We are departmentalized. We also have a snack bin, which is carried from class to class.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

I'm with you. My options are floor or cubbies, but neither works well. I might tape off an area on the floor or get some bins for them to go in.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2015

The nice thing about the bins is you can use them to pack up your stuff over the summer, then empty them out for the new year, and use them all year to hold bookbags.

I've tried the "taped off" space thing -- the bookbags end up outside the tape, and look very messy. Just FYI.

The large Sterilite tubs that you can get at Walmart will hold 6 backpacks easily, so you only need three or four.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 7, 2015

The only way I've found for backpacks to stay on chairs is if the arms go over the chair so the backpack is sideways on the chair. In my last 2 classrooms, I had hooks that they hung their backpacks from. I'm not sure what is already in place in my new room yet. I've also used tubs to store backpacks and lunchboxes.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 8, 2015

We are departmentalized. When my home room is leaving for the day, they put their backpacks in their Kesha. (I have table desks.) when they come back in, they usually hang them in their chair back for the last period of the day.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2015

What's a Kesha?

In my former classroom there were hooks in the coat area on which students hung their bags.

My current classroom has great closets (Yay!:woot:) and I assign kids to closets, about 4 students sharing each closet. There are hooks inside for bags/coats.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2015

We are lucky--the halls are lined with coat hooks for younger students and lockers for older ones. Nothing needs to come into the classrooms.

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

We also have hooks in the hall, so they only bring backpacks in when it is time to pack up at the end of the day.