Backing Out of Job Offer Once Accepted

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Moogeeg, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Hello, all,

Last week, I accepted a teaching job offer at an awesome school a good distance away from my home (2 hours). Let's call it School A. I was planning on moving if hired, but would have only stayed there a year or two at best because I have personal obligations in my hometown. I had already started interviewing with another wonderful district as well (School B) that is only a 30 minute commute.

I just received a call letting me know that I am one of 2 finalists for the position at School B. I will likely know within a few days whether or not I have the job. I would absolutely LOVE to work for School B, and the situation would be much easier on me financially.

How horrible would it be to call School A back (if I am offered the position at School B) and let them know my circumstances have changed and that I will no longer be accepting their offer? Mind you, it has only been a week since they called me with the offer, and it is still very early in the year.

Have any of you had to do this? How did it pan out for you?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 30, 2014

Some people may disagree with me, but given the distance between your hometown and School A, and how early it is in the hiring season, I think it would be fine to call School A and back out if you get the job at School B. Have you signed a contract yet at School A?

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Thank you so much for your response!

I have not signed anything. They have sent me a letter with details about the position and what I need to do to get hired (paperwork stuff), but it does not require a signature. The board meeting at which they will hire me is near the middle of next month.

If I am offered a position at School B, I will DREAD making that phone call to School A.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2014

I agree that it's still early and I would state that the distance is a huge factor.

6. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Thanks a lot, TeacherNY. I think School A would probably understand the situation, especially since I had been interviewing with both at the same time (not setting up interviews after accepting the position).
    School A has been very good to me, and I hope that there isn't too much damage done if I am hired at B.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

I'll be the naysayer and say that I wouldn't do that. You put School A in an extremely bad position (by now, they've already told candidates that the position was filled), and you put yourself in a spot where School District A will never consider hiring you again. Once you accept a position, it is very much a professional no-no to turn your back on it. That's one of the dangers of accepting a job so early.

Think about it in reverse... if School A had offered you the job, you accepted, and then you pulled applications from other districts, canceled interviews, etc... and School A called you back and revoked your job offer, how would you feel?

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 30, 2014

I think that it's very early in the hiring season, and it's absolutely okay to back out now, especially since you haven't signed anything.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2014

Yeah, it's so early in the hiring season that it shouldn't be a problem for School A to find a different person should you happen to back out. Even if they have already notified the other candidates that they weren't selected, it's not much trouble to make another phone call to one offering that candidate the job. It happens all the time.

10. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Also, if School A is as amazing as you say, I'm sure there are several people that would love to accept the job offer if you back out! It's early in the season and it is very unlikely you are putting the school in a bind, IMO :)

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

I was one of those people who got word that I wasn't the first choice. I was devastated. But, when the first candidate had to back out, and the school called later to offer me the job, I jumped at it. It all worked out.

I would say, if you had signed a contract you were absolutely locked in. But where you haven't, and the board doesn't even know yet, I think a polite phone call would be received well. You know them best-how do you think they will take it?

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

If you feel really guilty, go talk to the school if you are offered the other job. I did that once. When I explained to the P my dilemma, he was very understanding and thanked me for telling him in person. He said if my situation ever changed, they would be happy to hire me back.

13. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Thanks a lot, gr3teacher. I appreciate your input. I see what you are saying. I can honestly say there is a 0-1% chance I would ever work with this district again, so quite frankly, I am not very concerned about burning the bridge if I have to.

It definitely was early to accept a job! However, there's always that fear that nothing else will come up, especially in this hiring climate. I was not expecting to become a finalist for School B when I accepted.

Thanks a lot, you have given me something to think about.

14. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Thanks for the input!

I hope that the other candidate (s) have not found anything yet if I do have to back out since it is so early!

Thank you!

They seem like nice people, and I do not think they would be overly nasty. I actually spoke to my university professor just now, and she mentioned that in the end, it is MY life. I have to go with my gut. She also mentioned that I am now giving someone else a chance.

15. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Apr 30, 2014

I think it is very understanding if you decide to back out if School B offers you the position. Yes, you may not have another opportunity to work for them again, but as you stated, it is extremely unlikely you will apply there again anyway.

You sound very courteous and gracious in writing, so I am sure that you will sever ties in a professional manner. :) Yes, it may leave a few people there bummed, but it gives a candidate who may live closer or has that school as their #1 choice win it instead. And in that way, it's a win-win situation.

16. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 30, 2014

If you haven't signed a contract yet with School A, you should be fine. But that's another thing: wait until you sign a contract with School B before you call School A. It's still a possibility that they might not need your position this summer and you might be screwed! Good luck!

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

Excellent advice-don't burn 2 bridges!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2014

I agree. Definitely wait until it's a done deal with the 2nd school. I'm sure you already figured that out. If school started in 2 weeks I'd say they might be very upset with you but that's not the case here.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2014

Someone in my family was about to sign paperwork and start training for a new job (not teaching) and the day before she was supposed to report to the office they called and said they couldn't hire her after all because a "former" employee wanted her old job back. Yes, it's terrible but because she already had experience they figured they didn't have to waste money training her. They did what was best for the company so why wouldn't we do what's best for ourselves? If she takes the closer job she won't have to move and that is a valid reason for most.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

I'm with the others. Due to TWO factors, I think it is acceptable. A. You didn't sign a contract yet. B. It is still early.

21. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

Oops, sorry I missed this earlier. Thanks a lot for the insight!!

22. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 30, 2014

In my state, schools typically send out letters of intent. Contracts are not usually signed until a week or two before the beginning of the year. I definitely cannot wait until so late in the summer to decline, but I was thinking that once I have it in writing from School B if I get hired, I will call School A. Either way, I could theoretically get screwed at the last minute.

Thanks. I will wait until I have a formal accepted offer in writing.

You never know what could happen! I think that the principal would probably understand due to the moving issue- I would like to keep my word, but ultimately, I would save thousands by staying home, and would only be at School A for a year or two anyway.

Thanks!

23. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

May 6, 2014

Update

Thank you to everyone for the advice. My final interview at School B went extremely well, and I was offered the job over the weekend. I accepted.

School A was not thrilled and the phone call was a bit awkward, and they simply asked me to email them a withdrawal of acceptance or send a letter.

I feel bad, but I also know that I am in the right situation for me, and that is a truly wonderful feeling.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 6, 2014

You did what is right for you, and some other teacher will happily fill the position you did not.

25. MrsH_in_Oz

MrsH_in_Oz Rookie

May 6, 2014

Having just read the thread you made the right decision. Congratulations on being offered a job at School B!

26. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

May 6, 2014

This is one of my fears this hiring season. Glad it worked out for you. Honestly you gotta make the right moves for yourself especially when a good opportunity presents itself.

I'm sure another candidate for school A was hoping for that job as their first choice and will now happily fill that spot. Wouldn't it be funny if it was another member on here!