Backing out of a contract at the last minute...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

I realize this is definitely counting my chickens before they hatch, but the clock is ticking.

I have a position for the year... But the online school I applied to months ago very recently contacted me and I'm now at round 3 of interviews.

I thought online teaching was kind of fun and would love to do it proper-like. If I were offered the job, I'd probably take it.

I'm in a right-to-work state in a right-to-work position with some phrasing in the current job contract that seems it would be extremely easy for either of us to get out of it.

A few years back my SiL jumped ship after two contract days with very little consequence (same state).

Has anyone else done it?

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 7, 2020

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I believe in taking care of you. The school will find another teacher, and you’ve shared that you have reservations about the school anyway. The only reasons I can see that you wouldn’t want to are 1) not wanting to burn bridges if you may need a job with the school in the future, or 2) having a hold put on your license, which doesn’t sound likely.

I’m in a position also that says I can leave or be dismissed at any time. People do it, not super often, but I don’t think there are any hard consequences for doing so.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2020

Yes, I have done it. I was offered a job out of state, and I decided to take it even though it meant breaking my contract. I felt that it was the best option for my family, and I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. I didn't know if I would have had another opportunity like that; I didn't want to miss my chance.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2020

I have done the same thing. I was also in a right to work state and quit before the school year started because I was offered a better job. You have to do what is right for you and your family.

bella84, mrsf70 and otterpop like this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 7, 2020

So... Got the virtual academy offer...

Any tips on last-minute resignation?

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Aug 7, 2020

Congrats! I guess the first step is to notify HR.

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 7, 2020

Congratulations! I don't know the exact course of action, but I find the best thing to do is to take care of it as soon as possible so that whatever steps you take, you aren't worried about them longer than necessary. Wishing you great success in your new position.

bella84, mrsf70 and Caesar753 like this.
  9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2020

Congratulations...this is probably a much safer place for you to be, especially with young ones at home.

otterpop likes this.
  10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2020

You're the poster who was going to work at the charter school, right? Or am I mixing people up? If so, you should have no issues because my understanding is that all charter employees are at will anyway. Did you sign any sort of contract? I'd read it to see if there is anything in there about resigning. I'd let them know ASAP even though it's the weekend.

Even if this may not be entirely true, if it were me I'd really play up safety concerns as your reason for wanting to work at this online school and how you had to make this "really difficult decision" for the health and safety of you and your family. That should help you avoid burning bridges and allow you to leave on a more positive note.

bella84, Caesar753, Backroads and 2 others like this.
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2020

Congratulations. I hope it is everything you expect it to be.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 8, 2020

Me, too. During an interview I asked what the average day looks like for a teacher.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 8, 2020

Twas me. I signed a contract, and it's pretty straightforward, reiterating it was at-will.

Yes, part of it is healthcare. The opportunity to not potentially be bringing anything home is a perk and right now fairly preferred by my daughter's doctor.

bella84 likes this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 8, 2020

Well, I was honest and polite and explained briefly my reasons. The phone call went very well and I feel like less of a cad.

(Hoping web searchers in future similar situations use this to feel better)

bella84 and otterpop like this.
  15. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 8, 2020

That’s so good. I’m glad it went well!

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 8, 2020

And this note probably doesn't help the school's situation, but it was mentioned that a lot of schools are, sadly, having the same situation: The end-of-summer job burst is crazier than normal. There's only one district in the state that is completely online as of the moment and with varying issues throughout other districts... I'm far from the only teacher "dropping out".

17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 8, 2020

Only one in the state? Wow. Most schools in my area are slowly going all online. The more that do, the more momentum builds. Unfortunately, I don’t think many of them are thinking of what’s best for students or teachers. They’re worried about getting sued and don’t want to deal with it, even if they may win.

mrsf70 likes this.
  18. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 8, 2020

Congrats! I am so happy for you to be able to work from home and keep your baby safe.
    I saw a post that talked about a district where enough older teachers quit that it forced the district to online learning. It is sad some districts care so little about teachers.
    Our district is still planning butts in seats very soon. Students have an option. The nearest district to us announced all online a couple of weeks ago.
    Older teachers or ones with medical conditions are not sleeping well. I feel so bad. 1 of my friends who has to return and has a medical problem, is really scared.
    If the district doesn't think we know it, it is obvious they are doing this for 2 reasons 1. Money 2. Parents, who for the most part, seem to want their kids in school. ( They are notorious for kowtowing to parents here.)

Backroads likes this.