Backing out from the first offer for a better second offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi2, Jul 20, 2019.

  1. Pi2

    Pi2 Rookie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2019
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 20, 2019

    Hello everyone,

    I am a new teacher, fresh out of graduate school.

    So the situation is a bit complicated. I am overwhelmed and my anxiety is not helping me better.

    This is what happened. On Wednesday, I received a call from school A after the interview on the day before for a High School Math Teacher position. They did not hire me. He (my recruiter) told me that they really liked me, but I needed more experience, so they offered a position as a math co teacher for middle school with a salary of $18/hour, full time. I accepted right away because July was ending and I had depression of not being able to find a job. (Yes, I even took pills to calm my anxiety down).

    However, on Thursday (the day after I accepted the offer with school A). Another school B called me and offered me a full time teaching position as a High School Math lead teacher and the salary is 52,000$ a year with 5000$ signing bonus for being a MATH teacher.

    I am very happy to be given the second offer of having my own classroom. I know that I am going to decline the first job offer as a co-teacher at School A, but not sure how. I am wondering if any of you could give me any advise to decline the offer. Will it make me a bad person for declining an offer that they had thought for me to help me?

    I have not signed any contract yet, it was a just a verbal acceptance over the phone. I am just scared that the principals and the other interviewers will talk about my situation and made me look really bad in the future.

    Thank you so much!
     
  2.  
  3. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,839
    Likes Received:
    1,065

    Jul 20, 2019

    I would state to school A:

    “Initially when I accepted the job I thought that I would be in a position financially to do so, but $18/hour is untenable and so I am going to have to rescind my earlier offer. I greatly apologize for this inconvenience and wish you all the best.”
     
    Pi2, whizkid and ChildWhisperer like this.
  4. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,839
    Likes Received:
    1,065

    Jul 20, 2019

    By the way, since you didn’t sign a contract with school A, you are in the clear. Please accept the offer from school B. I’m so excited for you!
     
    Pi2, whizkid and ChildWhisperer like this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,811
    Likes Received:
    564

    Jul 20, 2019

    Definitely accept School B's offer!!
     
  6. ChildWhisperer

    ChildWhisperer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,215
    Likes Received:
    402

    Jul 20, 2019

    I had to do that once. I verbally accepted an offer over the phone, but then got a better offer a week later. Luckily, it was still kind of early in the summer.
    They were not happy, but understood. But they said because the Board had already approved it, I still had to send in a letter of resignation.
    Burned that bridge, but no big deal.

    It happened to my sister too, right out of college. Second (public) school doubled salary offer of the first school. First (private) school was really upset with her, but she hadn't signed anything.
     
  7. Ms.Holyoke

    Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,811
    Likes Received:
    564

    Jul 20, 2019

    I like this idea. You do not even have to mention that you got another job. I would do it right away so you don't keep them waiting.
     
    Pi2, whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. waterfall

    waterfall Maven

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    Messages:
    5,846
    Likes Received:
    710

    Jul 20, 2019

    I think most people would understand leaving an hourly position for a full time salaried position. If you don't want to even say that part, I think it's a good idea to just go with the salary thing like the pp said. Say that you're so grateful for the opportunity and you were initially so excited to work in their district that you accepted right away. However, after reviewing your finances the hourly wage just isn't going to be enough to cover your expenses and you'll need to continue pursuing salaried positions. Contact them right now so they have more time to look for a replacement. Even though it's the weekend, most admins will check email. You will feel better once it's done. And accept that offer from School B right away too. Did you initially ask for more time to think about it? Around here it's not common to be given more than a few days.
     
    Pi2 and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. whizkid

    whizkid Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2016
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    295

    Jul 20, 2019

    Yes, here it is.

    "Thank you for your offer and considering me for the position, but I've decided take another avenue. Thank you".
     
    Pi2 likes this.
  10. TrademarkTer

    TrademarkTer Groupie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2017
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1,020

    Jul 20, 2019

    Most principals will understand. You can also mention it is the best way for you to gain the experience you are after.
     
  11. Pi2

    Pi2 Rookie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2019
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 22, 2019

    Good morning to everyone here!

    Thank you so much for taking your time replying to my situation! I really appreciate it!

    I am so sorry for not replying back sooner because I was in the hospital due to high fever and bad case of migraine which had been happening the for 4 days and yesterday was the worst. I am all good now.

    I am very happy to be receive a full time offer. I had been rejected so many times and did not have a jobs for two years after graduating four year university, which forced me to do tutoring work (I enjoyed it) and went to graduate school for teaching credentials.

    I read all your replies and here is what I am going to send to the first offer. Would you please take a look at it? I really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

    "Dear Mr. Lopez,

    Thank you very much for offering me the Co - Teacher position in your school district. After considering this opportunity carefully, I have made a difficult decision not to accept your offer. I am very grateful for the opportunity and I was initially so excited to work in your school district. However, after reviewing your finances, and $18/hour is untenable and so I am going to have to rescind my earlier offer. I greatly apologize for this inconvenience.

    I have another accepted another offer, in which they offered me to be a full time math lead teacher, and a full time paid salary that will cover all my expense. I believe that at this point in my career this offer aligns more closely with my career interests and goals.

    It was a pleasure meeting you and members of your staff. I appreciate the time and the consideration you extended to me.

    Sincerely,
    Pi2"

    To be honest, I just want to tell them the truth about accepting new offer because I could be a teacher with my own classroom. These schools are not in the same districts. They are both different charter schools, but they are close, so the principals might know each other.
     
  12. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,839
    Likes Received:
    1,065

    Jul 22, 2019

    I edited your letter for grammar and took out unnecessary parts:

    “Dear Mr. Lopez,

    Thank you very much for offering me the Co - Teacher position in your school district. After considering this opportunity carefully, I have made the difficult decision to not accept your offer. I am very grateful for the opportunity and I was initially excited to work in your school district. However, after reviewing my finances, I have determined that $18/hour is untenable and so I am going to have to rescind my earlier offer. I greatly apologize for this inconvenience.

    It was a pleasure meeting you and members of your staff. I appreciate the time and the consideration you extended to me.

    Sincerely,
    Pi2”
     
    ChildWhisperer, Pi2 and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  13. Pi2

    Pi2 Rookie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2019
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 22, 2019

    Thank you so much! So I don't need to tell them about the truth of me being offered a lead teacher. I am just scared that they might found out in the future. I just feel bad about backing out from the offer.

    What is weird is that I have not received their email of agreements for the first offer, but the second offer just sent me their contracts and everything. Guess, they forgot me. LOL
     
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. futuremathsprof

    futuremathsprof Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2014
    Messages:
    3,839
    Likes Received:
    1,065

    Jul 22, 2019

    I wouldn’t want to burn any bridges and so I would just say what I said in my previous post. They don’t need to know that you were given a better offer because it may rub them the wrong way.
     
    Pi2 likes this.
  15. Mr.history

    Mr.history Cohort

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    557
    Likes Received:
    46

    Jul 23, 2019

    Personally I would go with this

    Calling the position that they offered and you accepted untenable because of the pay when you presumably knew the pay won't come across great in my opinion. I would just just keep it short and sweet.
     
    ChildWhisperer and Pi2 like this.
  16. TeacherGroupie

    TeacherGroupie Moderator

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    Messages:
    29,600
    Likes Received:
    1,083

    Jul 23, 2019

    Mr.history is on the right track, I think. "Thank you for considering me for the position of co-teacher at ___. On reflection, I have decided to pursue another avenue, and so I will not be taking the position. Sincerely, Pi2."
     
  17. Pi2

    Pi2 Rookie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2019
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    6

    Jul 23, 2019

    Thank you so much for all of your advices!

    I have sent an email to decline the offer and I hope it will be alright. I still feel really bad for backing out, but I really like the offer from school B. I don’t regret declining it.

    Thank you again, everyone.
     
    futuremathsprof likes this.

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. TheGr8Catsby,
  2. waterfall,
  3. Ima Teacher,
  4. Backroads
Total: 221 (members: 6, guests: 193, robots: 22)
test