Background check on ISD - DFW

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teachling, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 9, 2008

Is there a way to check on how an ISD reputation/administration is or tends to be, like a teacher's union or something like the BBB? I had a recruiter called me from an ISD I've never heard of today. Someone who lives close to this ISD says that she's been "told" it's one of the worst ones in the area. It's a small ISD & also would be a long commute for me. I don't want to waste my time going if this is true. Lemon & STG would appreciate your input.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2008

What ISD is it? You can PM me if you want to.

4. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Apr 9, 2008

5. smalltowngal

Apr 9, 2008

Thanks Carrie! I completely forgot about the report cards on that site.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 9, 2008

Something School District? Something that starts with an I.... Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Isbecastan. I don't know.

7. smalltowngal

Apr 9, 2008

ISD stands for Independent School District.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 9, 2008

Ahhhhhhh. Makes sense now.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 9, 2008

Teachling,

When you go to the school reportcard site, make sure you scroll down and see each school in the district.

Your better districts will have rating like this

High Schools- they should be at acceptable, better would be fantastic --Highland Park High School is exemplary

Middle School- majority should be recognized or better

Elementary- majority should be exemplary

In my district, we have very good elementary schools and most are exemplary. We have a few that are only recognized and those are our title one schools. I would be worried if I looked at a district and most of the schools were just acceptable. It doesn't mean they are a bad district, it might just mean its in a real tough area and personally that would not be my cup of tea as a first year teacher.

10. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

Thanks for the info, I knew I could count on you guys. You are so helpful. It's hard to look at other districts, when you are doing observation hours in your DD & on top of that the school has gotten outstanding school of the year awards back to back. I so want to work there!!! :unsure:

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

I know! The school I want is an NCLB Blue Ribbon School and I absolutely love it there. Stiff competition in DFW suburbs and definitely no recruiter working to find applicants.

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

My dd has a fair coming up in a few weeks & I'm hoping that may be a way in. Plus, I'm thinking of approaching the secretary of the school to set up an appointment to see the principal. What do you think? He has seen me on campus & knows I am doing observation. I'm being cautious because I want to be fully prepare first before approaching him. Also with the fair being just a few days away, I don't know if I should just wait till then since he should be there (?).

As a side note, This weekend, I'm thinking of going to a seminar that will help me with my portfolio, etc. I have an idea now of how to do one but I'm thinking that it can be helpful. (?)

Any way, I went to the above site to check on school report card & I'm not sure if I'm reading it right or what. I finally did the snapshot to see if it would be easier to read & on the heading for the district overall it states:

District Accountability Ratings Academically Acceptable
    Is this what I look for? On the more detail report, it didn't offer a rating per school. This particular ISD appears to be unusual in that the elementary grades are split among campuses.

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

Don't wait- talk to him first.

Go to the seminar -- that is great where is it?

Ratings- yes that is what you are looking for there should be a page like that for each school. It says the district name and then Geroge Washington High School. Then it will say District Accountability Ratings Academically Acceptable That does NOT mean that is the rating for the whole district, just that school. Then after each page like that there is the detailed report for that school and then you should see the next school. I open it as PDF not HTML.

Hope this helps Teachling:)

14. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

Thanks, Lemon. I am going to send you a PM.