"Backatcha"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChildWhisperer, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 19, 2019

When someone replies to something you said (for example, "I miss you") with a "back atcha!" Do you see it as they don't really miss you but feel like they need to reciprocate so they say "back at Cha" instead? Or do you see it as they do feel the same but didn't want to use all the words?
    Does anyone else think like I do? (Negatively)
    Or am I reading too much into this? :roll:

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 19, 2019

I wouldn’t think anything about it.

a2z, futuremathsprof and vickilyn like this.
  4. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 20, 2019

It could be they think it is a cute way to say the same thing. Saying "I miss you, too." back to the person may seem too serious for the mood the friend wants to set even though the friend/family member feels the same way.

You are definitely reading too much into it and looking for offense where there most likely is none.

You may want the emotional impact of hearing those same words.

Do people who say they miss someone expect to hear the same back? Was that your motivation in saying it since you are not happy with the response you received? Just a tidbit to think about when you question someone else's motivation based off of the response they gave. You wouldn't be questioning if you received the response you wanted. That means you had an intent when you told the friend you missed them.

So, did you really mean it or was it just a way to get the friend to tell you something you want to hear? <-- Is this overthinking things? See how this works? It works for every interaction people have. You should not analyze ever interaction.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 20, 2019

Okay, I do tend to read into everything too much so maybe that was it, but this is not the first time, and I would've preferred they not say anything at all if they didn't mean it :p
    But y'all are right. I was just curious if it was just me or if others felt the same way with the response of "backatcha". I don't know why it gives me such a negative feeling :rolleyes:

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 20, 2019

So? This person thinks it is a cute way to interact.
    I'd prefer people say "My heart aches when I don't get to see you." Instead they say a lame, "I miss you.". LOL

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 20, 2019

I don't tell people I miss them so I guess I never get that response LOL

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2019

I don't use the phrase often, but when I do, it's always meant to be received with affection.

Tired Teacher, vickilyn and a2z like this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 20, 2019

When the original "I miss you" was uttered, was it on the phone, in the midst of other individuals, or when it was just the two of you staring into each other's eyes? In the first two instances, the response you got may be perfect, since there could be others within ear shot that may, or may not influence the amount information that they feel comfortable sharing with. I don't know OP's age, but the response sounds like a certain age that is younger than I am, yet I don't think I would mind the response. It is appropriate enough to indicate that the message was received, and warranted a reply of some sort. Trust me, I have a son who might look and me and say "Huh?" Given that scenario, the response is actually a huge step up from what might have been!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 20, 2019

A lot of kids nowadays say, "Same" when they agree with something or feel the same way about a topic. In fact, I catch myself doing that, too. Anyone else hear people say that?

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 20, 2019

Yes. I hear this often.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 20, 2019

It was texted.
    Other person is in her 50s

Anyway, I was just curious, and it looks like it's just me :p
    I'm fine with "same" or "me too", so I don't know why I don't like "backatcha" :rolleyes: maybe I'm just weird

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 20, 2019

Safe to assume that it wasn't the response you wanted to hear, and there is no right or wrong involved in that. Hopefully this thread has given you some insight into how others view the reply, and you can accept that you got a reply, and that until there is evidence otherwise, you can also accept that the reply wasn't meant to be flippant. Hope that helps.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2019

I would not feel that way! I think people who tend to say those things are not "mushy" people, but want you to know they feel the same. :)

bella84 likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 30, 2019

I agree.