Backaches :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2007

Anyone else suffering?

Yesterday I wondered why my back was so sore when I got home... today I realized that I spend most of my day bending over kids' desks helping them, or even my own desk, since I'm generally not there long enough to bother sitting down. Then there's also lugging all my stuff around (I carry a shoulder bag at least and walk about 20 minutes each way) but I don't think that did it. No, it has to be the bend-n-teach style.

What do you do to avoid this?

I suggest raising all the kids' desks to my arm level. I bet the kids would enjoy having room to swing their legs instead of stretching out in front and annoying the next kid.:2up:

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

sure Ed,

you should change up, and actually stoop down on your knees, along side of their desk, and meet them at eye level...a quality principals/directors love.

if they have more than two questions, grab a chair! I am serious! I know: they feel like they have your undivided attention, and the rest of the room gets into position for a superbowl game. you use all your classroom mgt and say you have eyes in the back of your head.

you do, you know.

actually, the like it when you are at their level. some teachers have a separate kids' desk in the middle of their 'u' formation..and the kids feel like they are one of them.

I have this same issue with changing diapers on 2's and lifting cots. neither of which, I enjoy doing. problem is, job description states must lift 30 pounds occasionally. these kids today are NOT 30lbs!! and when you lift to change, and put back on the floor, that is doubled the weight.

also, been doing some research on average kiddie cot. only 12 pounds, but if you got 18 kids in the room...well let's just round up to 20. to pull these cots off a rack, put down on floor, and then pick them up, put back on rack, and push rack down the hall...every day!!! that's my backache. I quit after that week when my back was killing me.

now I have to make sure the next job does not make me do this every day. I have to get the aide to help me. some rooms have the kids drag their own beds around :eek:

sorry to vent...but I had same issue as a file clerk. and doc said, no more repetitive bending and stooping. end of discussion.

you gotta squat, bend at the knees...not your back.

any ideas for me?? :rolleyes:

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2007

I know that bending at the knees is better for you... but squatting puts me too low (my kids are 10-11, their desks are a more regular size) and bending only halfway at the knees, well, I can't do it. It's just not a natural position.

Pulling up a chair is a good idea. I've only done it once or twice, though -- I usually can't afford to stay in one place that long. I have to kind of quickly redirect and then move on to the next kid.

I'm supposed to be getting an assistant soon, so hopefully that will help-- I'll be able to focus my attention on smaller groups and maybe even sit down with them, and the aide can have the rest of the backaches...

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

I bought a couple of posture support belts. and a few posture bras. I have lousy posture...bad habits when I was a kid.

I think if you tried a few, they will help you conciously stand up straight, and keep a mental note if you are bending over too long.

now, I find myself leaning on everything, and middle age and gravity is making everything go forward! so I must make myself stand up, and stop leaning.

here is another thought...have them come to you!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

Could you scoot around on a chair on wheels?

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2007

get a little stool so you can sit down next to them

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2007

One of those IKEA tractor-seat wheeled stools?

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 25, 2007

You know whats FANTASTIC for you to use is a YOGA ball! It forces you to use your abdomen muscles which are attached to your back muscles! Plus, its really comfortable to manuever and balance once you get the tummy muscles strengthened!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2007

give us details! I used to sit on a basketball when I was doing playground duty!

website
    phone number
    etc.