Back Up Plan Job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Apr 28, 2012

I am hoping for a full time elementary teaching job for the new school year, but with the economy the way it is I also know it might not be possible. I've applied to public and private schools. I currently work only 3 days a week at a preschool. I need something full time to support myself. I am thinking of applying to another church preschool which is full time (7am-6pm, but you don't have to work all 11 hours) so I would have more of an income than I do now as my current preschool does not offer before or after care whereas many other preschools do. But then what if I accept a preschool job, and then I get offered a full time elementary job. I'd feel awful backing out of a job I already agreed to, but at the same time I need a back up plan for full time work if an elementary job does not become available. Should I go ahead and call preschools? If I don't call soon I know jobs will be gone by mid summer so I really need to line up a back up plan.

3. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Apr 28, 2012

I would go ahead and call. Although I haven't worked in a church preschool, it has been my experience that employers who knew I was looking for a full-time teaching job were very understanding and supportive. If you were to get a job at this other preschool, would you start mid-summer or does it not start until around the time when school does?

If you are worried about offending other "educational" places by leaving so soon, you could always keep your 3 day a week job and then work retail or something else to supplement. I worked as an aide last year during the day and then worked retail nights and weekends. It wasn't ideal, but the department store I worked at had higher turnover rates than a small church preschool would, and they completely understood when I left to take a teaching job.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2012

If jobs are available until mid-summer, I'd probably wait another month. June 1st is when I have decided I will hit the 'desperate switch'. I am fortunate to have a job for next year, but I am tired of living 11 hours from my closest family member, so I am looking out of state. There are a few schools I am not applying to (mainly due to the fact that they have very low job security), but if I don't have a job, or at least interviews lined up, by June 1, I will be applying to those as well.
    I'd personally give it a few more weeks.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2012

I currently work PT retail now, as a full time teacher. You have to do what is necessary sometimes. Is it fun to teach all day, run to my car, drive 35 minutes home, change clothes, drive 30 more minutes to my part time job, and stay there for 5-6 hours? Nope. But I do it. I work between 20-30 hours a week, up to 35 or so in November/December.