Back to the drawing board. . . without a pencil.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RisingFromAshes, Aug 22, 2013.

1. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Aug 22, 2013

I was planning to complete my certification program this year, and with a little helpful advice from the amazing teachers on this site, be fully prepped for next year's hiring season.

Then my hubby's entire company was laid off without warning. (The Michigan economy is brutal.) I can no longer afford my previous out of state program and the post bacc. programs here do not qualify for financial aid. I called the Dept. of Education in my state and they told me that they do accept certifications gained through alternative certification programs in other states, as long as it's the full professional certification without limitations.

Is this my only option? Would it be marketable?

Michigan's market is ROUGH. Though in a couple years I could be ready to relocate. The only teaching experience I would have under my belt is 5 years college teaching English/ESL, 1 year subbing, and student teaching. (BA English Lit. & MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

Would this even be near enough to get my foot in the door? Or am I kidding myself?

P.S. If any of you have any experience with the market in Michigan, I would love hear any other tidbits you'd like to add. :)

3. tashamama

tashamama Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

BUMP - this is an excellent question I would love to hear some answers and thoughts on. I cannot leave Michigan so I have to work with this challenge. :confused:

4. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Nov 21, 2013

You can't get student loans? I'm in Ohio and got student loans for my masters.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Nov 22, 2013

ELA & ESL is very much in demand. I think you would have no problem finding a job if you relocated to a state with a large immigrant population.
    I myself have had several offers, mostly part time, though.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 22, 2013

There are jobs in Michigan. They just aren't the easiest to get. Math and science jobs are most in demand. They are not necessarily public schools, but charters and private. I have a friend who is starting a public school position after Thanksgiving. The teacher he is replacing has taken an administrative position.

7. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Nov 23, 2013

Student Loans?? Private Loans??
    I think most people on here had to go that way.
    I got my second certification last year and had to take out more student loans.