Back to Subbing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ima Teacher, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2022

I started my career in education back in 1993 as a sub for high school and middle school, and after almost 30 years with the district, I’m back at it again.

Back then I subbed every day and went wherever they needed me to go. Now I only work a few days a month and for only people & places I know. I’ll have to say it’s much better when I can show up, teach, and walk out with no responsibilities to follow me home. The kids are well-behaved overall, and when they aren’t my stink eye still works. I get to see my teacher friends, and I still like interacting with the kids.

I’ve told people that I’m just subbing to pad my concert and travel fund.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 17, 2022

Have fun! I graduated from HS in 1993. Yes, there's that non-responsibility aspect about subbing that's just great. I used to do it for a good 11 or 13 yrs...been so long ago, I forgot for sure because I taught special ed briefly and went back to it.

blazer likes this.
  4. North Fork

North Fork Rookie

Jul 9, 2023

Glad you decided to still sub teach. Less stress but still feel a part of the school.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2023

I ended up resigning at the end of the school year. I subbed in December, and there were three 6th graders who were TERRIBLE in the cafeteria. I ended up taking all three to the office, and one told me I could have his phone if I thought I was big enough to take it from him.

That’s when I realized that I did not have to sub, and I was done with middle school attitudes.

blazer likes this.
  6. North Fork

North Fork Rookie

Jul 15, 2023

Sorry to hear that. But it is good you do not have to sub. It's only a choice.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2023

I retired in 2021, so my pension is my income. I’m glad I don’t need to sub because I like retirement a lot.

blazer likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2023

Subbing was my method for paying for holidays etc without needing to touch my savings. It worked quite well for me. The original plan was take my occupational pensions in 2016 which pay the everyday bills then sub perhaps 1 week in 4. It actually worked out about 2 weeks in 4. I took a few longer term gigs full time especially during Covid when we couldn't travel anyway so I might as well have been working. Recently I have added my small private pension and a larger Government pension to my income so now I don't need to sub. Over the last 7 years, despite the travel restrictions my wife and I have had 3 cruises(New England, Caribbean and the Canary islands), a week in Boston MA to watch the Bruins, 5 weeks driving across the US on Route 66 in a Mustang ragtop, a European roadtrip to Slovakia to watch the Ice Hockey world championships in 2019 and again to Finland in 2022 (Chechia is already booked for next year). This year's Worlds were held in Nottingham which is only 40 miles from where I live! The subbing agency I signed up with have been pretty good. I established a good rep with several schools and got repeat gigs with them. The agency also used me as a 'gateway' teacher in that they would place me in schools where they had never had a booking before because they knew I would create a good impression and get them repeat bookings. Subbing was an interesting experience. In my regular teaching days I had been a head of dept and had used subs. I knew what sort of sub I needed and tried to be that in the schools I went to. Some schools were too restrictive or untrusting and put you in a straitjacket. The best schools recognised that this wasn't my first rodeo and were happy to give me a topic and just let me get on with it.

Ima Teacher likes this.
  9. North Fork

North Fork Rookie

Jul 16, 2023

Retirement does have good points. Sleeping in is maybe the best one!