Back to Second Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by RainStorm, Jul 25, 2019.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 25, 2019

I'm in a new state. I'm in a grade I haven't taught in 10 years -- 2nd grade. There is no time for my classroom library to arrive, so I'm trying to collect books now. I haven't been a second grade teacher in a while -- last time I taught it, Calendar Club Mysteries and Ready Freddy where the newest and coolest books out there, along with Cam Jensen, Ivy and Bean, Mr. Putter, and Henry and Mudge. I'm sure there are much newer books out there, so what are some great titles I can add to my classroom library to make it more modern?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Year 17 of teaching, here I come!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2019

Humphrey series, Beverly Cleary, Judy Moody, Clementine, Doreen Cronin, Di Camilo books.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 25, 2019

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2019

I think you have a great start! I would rely on your local library and perhaps your PTO will help. In the buildings where I have taught in my district, other teachers are very generous in sharing resources.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2019

That’s great that you are trying to get donations. Look on Facebook Marketplace, too. I’ve seen a lot of teachers posting classroom library books over the past couple of weeks. Try to avoid paying full price for books. The kids will unintentionally put wear and tear on the books too quickly, so get them cheap (or free) if you can.

7. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 25, 2019

I would wait it out and order Scholastic bundles. A lot of these books are ones I had in my classroom library this year and bought them from Scholastic for about $1.25 each (and that’s in Canadian dollars). I had lots of higher readers this past year and they definitely loved the National Geographic books like the ones you have listed. If you go for any fiction books, the Gerald and Piggie books by Mo Willems were always a favourite. Of course, after buying all of these books, I’m moving to middle school this upcoming school year.

I read the Calendar Mysteries to my class monthly this year, too, so they’re definitely still in style!

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2019

Those series are pretty outdated, in my opinion.

bella84 likes this.
  9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 27, 2019

Well, I've decided to try not to worry about my classroom library. My new school is just going to have to help me. I can't check out books from the local library at this point because I don't have a local driver's license or a local utility bill in my name. Since I'm staying in an AirBnB, I can't provide this. I'll have to rely on the school's library.

I went to a couple of garage sales today, but no luck on finding children's books. I'll keep trying.

If they want me to have a huge classroom library, they are just going to have to help me. I can't afford to ship what books I do have because they are heavy and will cost a fortune. I can wait and send them on the moving van, but that won't be until next month and school starts soon here. I'm not used to having to rely on others, but I refuse to spend a fortune on this. I've already spent a bunch on basics I'll need, that the school doesn't supply, so I can start the year before my teaching supplies arrive next month on the moving van.

However, in a positive light, I did finish my policies and procedures, discipline plan, book shopping procedures, welcome letter for parents' night, and my "I can" standards for all the standards (we have to display them on the board) so I do feel like I'm making some progress.

bella84 and MrsC like this.
  10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2019

2nd graders also like the Geronimo Stilton and the Thea Stilton series. Easy to find at libraries and probably at used book sales. Franny K. Stein should be good for them also and those are also at libraries and possibly used book sales.

Lots of great picture books for 2nd graders--remember these authors:
    Robert Munsch books are always a hit. Check out his website. robertmunsch.com
    Mike Thayler--Teacher from a Black Lagoon series always has them begging for more.

Good luck..2nd grade is a good grade.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks, everyone!

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 29, 2019

They're still great though -- there were a couple boys in my 2nd grade class when I student taught who really liked some of those older books. I think they read one or two Boxcar Children books with my CT in guided reading; it was a good challenge in terms of level and vocabulary (though I actually think they are above a 2nd grade independent reading level for most kids -- these boys were far above grade level).

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom