Back to school!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 3, 2008

School starts again in a few days. Tomorrow I'm going to go back and work in my room. I'm wondering what are some things you are doing to do differently in your first grade classroom when you go back? For example, your schedule, teaching strategies, behavior management, procedures, etc.

Thanks!

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2008

I really am not planning anything different. Same old routine. Things seem to be working this year so I am not going to make any big changes, I am going to step up the expectations though. I do each year at this time. They will now be doing more independent work and more writing will be required.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2008

I planned to start off with introducing new class rules, because they didn't have any before, and a behavior modification chart for the ones who need it. I got a blackboard, because I didn't have one! I feel kids need practice writing to encourage them to write!

also, I have resolved to not spend any more money! I am determined to find free, on line, beg-borrow-or copy what I can without spending money that I really don't have!

(good luck with that one..right?!)

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 3, 2008

Ha Ha :lol: That's going to be tough! I have been doing better with that by finding teachers that have helpful resource books and I borrow and copy the pages I need. One of the teachers on my team has three large floor to ceiling cabinets full of books!!

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2008

three large cabinets full of books??? who helps them haul that stuff in and out every summer?? :woot:

7. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 4, 2008

We don't have to haul everything out, just pack it all up.....she doesn't though.

8. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jan 4, 2008

I am making some changes....my group is going more towards guided reading....I already did reading groups and centers...but now instead of having a time slot for social studies, science and health, I am going to incorporate (or try to)....incorporate that into centers during my guided reading/centers time. I have also added a time for independent reading and during that time I can AR test and test on Accuracy and fluency...I am excited! I just hope it all works.

9. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Jan 4, 2008

changes

We returned to school yesterday. The only change I made when we came back was to change their writer's workshop paper from unlined to lined. It was something that most of them were ready for and I was truly ready for! I made a big deal about how they were closer to be 2nd graders and they needed to use lines now. They were all really excited about it. They felt like big kids! Cheesy, but cute~!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 4, 2008

I have about 5 6 foot bookshelves full of books. Probably more.

I went in today for 5 hours to reorganize my room. We don't have to be in until Monday, but we'll have kids that day :)woot:) so I want to be ready. Another 5 hours tomorrow should just about do it. I moved some areas around, fixed up my messy calendar wall, took down all the posters and put up new ones.

One good thing was that the floors were waxed and windows were washed so it all seemed much cleaner. :2up: