Back to School??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by natjoejag, Jul 18, 2006.

1. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 18, 2006

When does everyone go back to school? What have you done to prepare? I go back on August 14. The first day of school is on the 17th. I have done little preperation because we cannot go into our room until August because of cleaning.:(

3. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Kids come back August 10th, but we have inservices August 8th and 9th

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 18, 2006

Our meetings begin on Aug. 14. The kids come and pick up their books on the night of the 21st and classes begin on the 23rd. They really don't give you much time to get going do they? I'm kind of in the same boat though-no one can get into the building until the first week of Aug. because they are doing the floors.

5. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

My first workday is Aug. 17th. The kids come back on Aug. 25th. I've been doing stuff all summer because I just can't seem to stop! :)
    I've already been to my classroom a few times and moved things around. They waxed the floor in my room first, so I moved furniture back in last week. I've bought a few things, but have to wait on some.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back on Aug. 7th, registration is on the 10th and I think school starts on the 11th.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers can go in the last week of August (we aren't expected all week, just need to be in long enough to get ready); school starts just after Labour Day--Sept. 5th

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2006

My student's first day is Aug. 31.

My own children don't start until after Labor Day.

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 18, 2006

We go back Fri., Aug. 11, then school starts Mon., Aug. 14. I'm torn between excited and sobbing.

10. bowler

bowler Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

We go back on August 3rd, and school starts on August 10th. Very little time left to get everything ready!!

11. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 18, 2006

New teacher orientation for me is the 28th of July, preplanning starts the first of august with open house the third and students coming back on the fourth. It is coming really fast and each day I become more and more anxious!!! does anyone have any advice or tips for keeping the nerves down of a first year teacher???

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2006

I plan to go back around August 15 but don't have to go back until around the 20th (better check my dates!).

13. DZH494

DZH494 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back on August 4th, school starts August 14th. I have only planned lessons, but I will work in my room next week.

14. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

We go back on the 14th and students start on the 17th. We just got an email today that the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade halls are done so intermediate teachers can start working. I went two Thursdays ago after they got the classrooms waxed and set up my classroom. I went back today to piddle.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back 8/14, kids come back 8/21. Back-to-school night is the 17th.

16. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Students first day is August 24, Teacher In-Service at least one day before, more will probably be added. Open House is the week before, so I will need to have everything ready by then. I am switching rooms and just went in this morning. I got everything moved, but it will take me forever to setup and organize!

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back on Aug. 31st. Students begin on Sept. 4th. I do, though, have a question for all of you who go back in August. Are your schools air conditioned? Many of the schools in my area are not because they were built 20 to 30 years ago. There have been times in June when the temperature reached into the 90's and schools that had no air conditioning had to let the students go, especially those schools in the inner cities that have 3 or 4 floors. My school now has air conditioning because it was totally renovated 2 years ago. Otherwise we had to get by with a small fan. Even though I don't finish school until the end of June I don't think I could handle 25 students when the temperature is above 90 degrees for a week or two in a building that does not have air conditioning.

18. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

My school is almost 30 years old and we have really good air conditioning. If we didn't around here, we'd send kids home early alot!

19. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back August 14th and the students return August 21st. My school is air conditioned. I have a window unit in my classroom and can turn it on and off as I want. I'm probably going to go into my room one day the week before teachers report back to laminate some stuff and put up bulletin board paper. I haven't done anything else yet, except buy a couple of supplies and make some file folder games.

20. cberles

cberles Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Michigan passed a 'law' last year and schools can no longer start before Labor Day, so our first day of school is September 5. I forget when open house is, and when I have to go back - like others I better check my dates!!!:eek:
    Sounds like it is time to make the doughnuts....

21. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 18, 2006

We do not have air conditioning and we have had temps at 105 degrees. In August, it isn't much better. This year I am moving from a 3 year old school to a 100 year old school. I am thrilled, but I know within the next couple of years I should be in a new one again and I used to have to travel 40 miles round trip and now I only have to go 4 blocks.

22. fdcritt76

fdcritt76 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

August 4th!

The teachers start pre-planning on July 31st and the first day of school is August 4th! :eek: You are all so lucky! My anxiety has officially started and today I finally went in to start working just to ease my mind. I got alot done in four hours. It's amazing how you think that those butterflies will go away after six years.......

23. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I go back Aug 3 for new teacher orientation; then back Aug 8 for all teachers; then kids come aug 10 for B2SN; and school starts Aug 14!!!!! Waaaaayyyyy tooo overwhelmed right now!!! I thought I was excited about teaching....

24. rlb39702

rlb39702 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

I go back July 31st. School starts August 7th. I have already finished setting up my room--it took awhile! If I knew how to post pictures, I would let everyone see them on the web. I'm very excited but have spent too much money!

25. Mrs. Schulte

Mrs. Schulte Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Wow, when did you all that are starting in August get out for summer vacation? We are going back in Sept., and I'm loving it. I also am a first year teacher and have spent most of my summer buying bargain books and supplies. I did get to get in my room but it hadn't been cleaned yet, so I just put all of my summer purchases in my cupboards. Just curious, how much have you all spent this summer in supplies and "teacher stuff"? My husband thinks I'm crazy, and I was wondering if he is right. :)
    Kari

26. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 18, 2006

I think from what I have read so far that we have the earliest start date. New teacher orientation is tomorrow and Thursday for our county. I have to be back "on schedule" Friday (I have been working in my mobile for the past week). Open house is the 27th and Our kids come Friday, July 28th. By the time that some of you start school we will be taking our first break (Labor Day) and scheduling our midterm parent conferences (the Thursday and Friday after Labor Day).

27. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

I don't have to be back till the Tuesday right after Labor Day for a staff meeting. The kids come that Wednesday. I will go in the last few weeks of August to start organizing and setting up.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 18, 2006

I begin August 1st, the kids begin August 21st.
    Arkansas passed a law a few years ago that schools could not begin before August 19th, unless it fell on a Tuesday. Then they could begin on the 18th.

29. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

We go back on August 1 and the kids come back on August 7. We definitely have A/C otherwise we would die. :D

Instead of snow days we actually have heat days in which the kids are not allowed to go outside for recess because it's too hot. :eek:

I finally went to my classroom today. I know I got things done but it never feels like it. Oh well.

30. tward

tward Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Here teachers go back August 1st and the kids start August 8th. We have been out since....Before Memorial Day....May 27th or 28th.

31. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Teachers go back August 3rd and the kids start back on the 9th. My room is almost finished. I've been working daily, because I'm doing a reading camp and I stay and work after the kids leave.

32. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Wow, some of you start early! We start the 22nd, and get out May 26th. We have 2 weeks off at Christmas, 3 days off for Thanksgiving, and a week for Spring Break. No A/C, so we have a heat schedule until Labor Day which means we start at 7:30 and get out at 2:10.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 19, 2006

Wow, that's early! When was your last day of school?

34. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 19, 2006

Around here most of the teachers go back around August 31st and the kids start either September 5th or 6th. The kids didn't get out of school until somewhere between June 20th and 23rd, though.

35. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Teachers go back August 21 and the children come on August 25, yes the first day of school is on a Friday because of the School Calendar Bill that went into effect in NC last year.

36. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 19, 2006

Yep, in NC-we can't start before Aug. 25th. First work day is Aug.
    17th, like I said. The kids got out on June 9th this year, which was the latest in a very long time. Before this bill was passed, we usually got out on May 25th. I heard, however, that they will be going back to county choice for start dates soon. I hope so because we used to start between Aug. 5th and 7th! I hate that we're starting on the 25th since it's a Friday. So we've had 2 1/2 months off school, go for 1 day, have 2 days off, go for 5 days, and then have the 3 day Labor Day weekend! AAHHH!!!

37. KiewiStyles

KiewiStyles Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

I have a two day orientation the 16th and 17th. Then, we have staff development the 22nd-25th. The kids start that Monday, I believe the August 28.

38. Lab Lady

Lab Lady Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Our kids got out June 2nd and go back on August 28th.

Pennsylvania is trying to pass the not going back until after Labor Day bill.

Do those of you going back at the end of July and early August get a lot of vacation during the school year?

39. natjoejag

natjoejag Companion

Jul 19, 2006

Miss W I tried to visit your website and could not get on.

40. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 19, 2006

I go back the 3, 4, 5 of Aug. for new-to-the-district orientations.
    Aug 10 is staff development and then 2 work days before kids start Aug 14. Next year I believe we will be starting after Labor Day. We get out one of the last days in May now. I'm meeting with someone at my new school tomorrow to get curriculum stuff and find out the story on if I have a room, etc. Assuming I have a room, I want it set up before the 10th (would be a first for me!). We have A/c.

I have to say I am excited about the december break in the new district--3 weeks!

41. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2006

My children will start school Sept. 6 and won't get out until June 19. They will have 2 weeks in Dec., one week in April, 3 days in Nov., and two days in Feb. off. The district only has 173 days of contact time and 13 of them are district wide late start where every school starts 2 hours late.
    A few years ago, they didn't get out of school until June 24!!!!

I changed school districts this year so it'll be the first time in 9 years that our vacation schedules will be different.:(